[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows cucks of /g/ What's actually holding you back from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 31

File: Tux_Flyswatter_Windows.jpg (14KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Tux_Flyswatter_Windows.jpg
14KB, 512x384px
Windows cucks of /g/

What's actually holding you back from switching away from Windows for good fully over to a Linux distribution?
>>
>>58769514
>>58769553
Windows 10 is the superior operating system, that's why... Why is this so hard for lincucks and iToddlers to understand?
>>
>>58769514
>>58769553
>>58769637
It's about preference and need
>>
File: 1480564350300.jpg (62KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1480564350300.jpg
62KB, 480x640px
>>58769514
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58769651

Shut the fuck up you toe fungus eating sack of shit autist.
>>
I have daul boot Winblows and N00buntu. The only reason why I'm not 100% linux is Adobe.

If Adobe were to release their products on Linux, I'd delete the Windows partition in a heartbeat.
>>
>>58769681
Microsoft knows that
>>
music software
>>
>>58769637
Perfect people have an equal mind, subjectivity is inferiority. Linux is the answer.
>>
>>58769514
They stay on Windows for 2 reasons
1 - muh gaymes. They also actively browse /v/ and couldn't imagine not being able to play the latest pure shit from a large AAA dev
2 - Retarded. They think they know about computers because they watched a youtube tutorial and built their own PC for gaymen and then complain that Loonix is 2 hard
>>
Productivity.

Everything in Windows is built for productivity, whether it's office, graphics, spreadsheets, engineering software, architecture and so on.

And for those who like to game, it's the most supportive computing environment for gaming.

There's a professional or decent software solution for everything.

And you normally don't have to worry about drivers since most are installed by the system, unless you need some very specific ones, which are usually provided by the manufacturer.

There is also a huge userbase and lots of experience built around the ecosystem, so you can find a reliable solution for anything fast. You don't have to wait for some obscure hobbyist to develop it in his free time and release once a year or two.
>>
>>58769841
>Productivity.
>Having the OS restart during the middle of work against your will
So productive
>Gaming
Can't argue there
>Drivers
>Have to install drivers from some website or from a disk 90% of the time
wew
>Reliable solution for anything
You've clearly never seen the difference in an average linux forum post and a ms forum post
>>
>>58769681
Releasing their products on Linux would only take them a month tops. I don't see why they won't do it.
>>
>>58769841
>Everything in Windows is built for productivity, whether it's office, graphics, spreadsheets, engineering software, architecture and so on.
Linux has all this. Also
>office
>productivity
Conformed bait
>>
>>58769879
Never happened to me, because I know how to configure it. It's a shame hearing so many people complain about this on a technology board. It shows how many people are technologically incompetent here.

The only special drives I had to install on my setup were for the logitech mouse, so I could use custom DPIs and such. Big deal.
Everything else was installed by default by Windows.

>You've clearly never seen the difference in an average linux forum post and a ms forum post
Well that's because Windows appeals to a much larger userbase and in order to seek a fringe OS and go thru the hoops of installing it, you have to have something really borderline about your personality.

And borderline people are complicated and really like living on the edge, complicating their lives as much as possible, to feel like special snowflakes because they're not using something popular.
>>
>>58769964
>everything else is installed by default
Does not include
>GPU
>Bluetooth
>Ethernet
>WiFi
>>
>>58769949
>Linux has all this

Examples?

Do you know like 10 accountants who use spreadsheets software on Linux?

Any 10 engineers who use 3D software to build physical systems?

Architects?

Musicians?

Graphical artists?

Sound producers?

Lawyers, secretaries, clerks etc? (office work)

I've worked in many office environments (both for govt and private firms) and I never saw anyone use Linux there.

In fact, I never saw anyone use linux, except an ugly vegan bitch working for an NGO.
>>
>>58769553
xmodmap.

No seriously, what does POSX have over linux?
Everything just works on linux, why give that up to use worse hardware?
>>
>>58769514

Awful for gaming
>>
>>58769514
Because Linux isn't windows.
>>
>>58770027
Linux has all of that, you just rarely see someone outside of hobbyist use it because companies force people to use certain products
>>
>>58770007
Wtf are you talking I never installed a Bluetooth, ethernet or wifi driver. It installed by itself with the system. Even the SSD driver auto-installed from Intel's servers.

I can't tell about a GPU since I have an iGPU, I don't game that much to need a GPU.
>>
>>58770043
Give some examples, so we can compare the professional/productivity software.
>>
>>58770007
He never heard of Microsoft vga driver and Ethernet and wifi equivalents. How would you expect normies to connect to the internet?
>>
>>58769514
Proper software, video games and the "just works" part of Windows.
>>
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the reason is video games and Photoshop. I only use Windows offline these days so I'm technically a Lincuck most of the time.
>>
>>58770055
Examples of the software or companies forcing them to use certain ones?
>>
>>58770043
People don't trust software made by some hobbyist devs in their free time.
Since there's not much support or corporate reliability either. Can't sue anyone if shit goes wrong.

That's important for firms. No one to hold accountable if something goes wrong, no support, no service. No contract to sign with someone who provides you the software or the service for the software.

That's how things work in a company.

Unles you live in a Communist commune or hippie village, that is.
>>
>>58770061
>How would you expect normies to connect to the internet?
Drivers come pre-installed on pre-built computers and laptops. Normies buy those exclusively. They usually include driver DVDs.

>>58770104
You tell 'em, my fellow unemployed expert!
>>
The desktop environments all feel unfinished and shit
Linux is always changing and mutating, there is no backwards compatibility. Drivers often suck. New hardware is not outright supported
EVERYTHING GETS FORKED TO DEATH LEADING TO DECREASE IN OVERALL SOFTWARE QUALITY
You have like 50 shit distros that only get developed by one dude in his moms basement. If they all would band together to create one big, wonderful distro, Linsucks would maybe become good. But no. Now we have like

Xorg on the way out, Wayland in - but it still sucks and is broken
BTRFS - still broken and unstable for almost a decade
GRUB still is the main bootloader instead of something sensible
SystemD is always more spreading and has no stable, long-term support version
Snappy instead of .deb packages but not really lol so they will both co-exist, leading to more confusion
and so on

Linux is good if you like to fix things and tinker with them. If you want to do things with your OS, rather than make your OS do things, stay with Windows.
>>
>>58770145
You are terribly misinformed
>>
shit graphics drivers
games not available on linux
shitty port when the game is available
>>
>>58770140
>Drivers come pre-installed on pre-built computers and laptops. Normies buy those exclusively. They usually include driver DVDs.

Not really. I don't have a prebuilt or laptop. When I installed Win10, I didn't need to install any other driver except for the mouse one because it had extra options.

Even the driver for my bluetooth keyboard autoinstalled, because it was a microsoft keyboard. Didn't have to lift one finger, I just paired it with the computer and the system installed the driver in a few seconds and I could use it. No restart needed either.

>You tell 'em, my fellow unemployed expert!
Not the case. I already have 5 years of work (office) experience. Maybe you never worked in an office or anywhere, but that's not the case for me.
>>
>>58770104
>who is RedHat
>>
File: gen2.jpg (164KB, 550x544px) Image search: [Google]
gen2.jpg
164KB, 550x544px
>>58769679
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58769651
Go kill yourself you fagtist.
>>
>>58769553
Heterosexuality and self respect.
>>
>>58770254
It's weird you say that, coz most Linux users I know are either traps/trannies or pedos.
>>
>>58770279
>pedos
Fuck off, /pol/.

>traps
is just a joke.
>>
>>58770287
I also forgot anime manchildren who live in their mom's basement.
>>
>>58770195
I have been gaming on linux the past 10 years what is your problem?
>>
>>58770313
I, ok with this.
>>
>>58769514
Because I have a job, social circle hobbies, friends and events to be at. I don't have all day (nor do I want to) living off neetbux to fuck around trying to get my sound to work on a hoopty ass diy system while sperging out on websites.
>>
I use Linux on my old Thinkpad T61. Works okay, but I mostly use my gaymur PC instead.
>>
>>58769514
Muh games. Osu and VNs don't really run on Linux and I'm not going to bother with wine or patches. True otakus use Windows.

Why should I switch distros when Windows is doing me fine? I could care less about ricing my desktop or "programming"
>>
>>58769637

.tWindowstoddler
>>
>>58769553

They are poor.

Poor and autistic.

If AAC had my little pony icon packs and allowed theming, and could be afforded by single mothers on welfare they would be all over it.
>>
nada viejo me vale verga la vida
>>
File: d6f.jpg (18KB, 403x389px) Image search: [Google]
d6f.jpg
18KB, 403x389px
>>58769514
I use both. Ubuntu is a secondary system on my machine.
I like Windows, I've been using it all my life.
I also tried os x, but I felt like I was wasting my time. I know only about limitations in that os, but I don't find anything offered by the system that would be unavailable in win/linux or a way that os x somehow would enhance my performance, on the contrary I didn't find many features and software or analogs of the software I've been working with in win/linux, so os x is for toddlers and I had this feeling like I went back to Windows 2000 or something, feeling of a huge mount of extremely old legacy crap. Looks like os x is stuck somewhere in 2002. It's total crap, it doesn't have future. Several of my friends who were iOS devs moved to Android and started using Java and changed their jobs.
Even with Linux I don't feel it.
Also, in Windows 10 they added Linux subsystem, that's good. I'm working with virtualization, docker and etc.
Don't be a retard, you can use many systems. I know people who have a Windows desktop at work, have a Macbook at home and use a smartphone with Android.
>>
>>58769514
In my case it's Ableton Live
>>
>>58770104
>Can't sue anyone if shit goes wrong.
That's why RedHat exists.
>>
>>58769514
/v/
>>
My college
>>
>>58770940

https://www.winehq.org/search?q=ableton+live

You're welcome.
>>
>>58771145
>installing a windows compatibility layer that most definitely runs the program worse instead of just using Windows natively.

Lincuck stupidity never fails to astound me lol
>>
>>58769514
No Photoshop or Lightroom.
Simply put, if Adobe had linux support I would get rid of windows.
>>
Videojames
>>
>>58769514
I make vidya jams for a living and most of my userbase is on windows, i also doubt my tools would work on linux without either ton of tinkering or crippling bugs.
>>
>>58769514
Linux is shit on a tablet
>>
>>58769514
Encrypted Windows 7 with updates turned off is pretty comfy for me
>>
As soon as GNU/Linux gets Xenocara to stop the gaping security vulnerabilities in Xorg I will move over. I tried Wayland on Fedora 25 but it's still not great and I really don't want to have to use GNOME.

But until then, Windows is for me since I'm pretty security concious
>>
File: Censored_1485909090238.png (20KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Censored_1485909090238.png
20KB, 125x125px
>>58769651
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
File: Censored_1485909152314.png (22KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Censored_1485909152314.png
22KB, 125x125px
>>58771871
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
File: Censored_1485909213840.png (9KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Censored_1485909213840.png
9KB, 125x125px
>>58771888
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>58769514
Because Windows is better than Unix systems for the purposes I am using it. And for you too, darling.

Given the vast majority of /g/ are tech-illiterates who can't comprehend even Control Panel in Windows 10 to configure/disable their updates (and that's done in like 4 mouse clicks), I can assure you - you have no real purpose in using anything Unix-related. You are wasting your time trying to recreate some elementary functions proper desktop OS have and get a feeling of satisfaction and superiority when you finally get something done.
Surprise, it's still a massive waste of time and a really casual task that feels like an achievement to you only due to your own ignorance.
I have much more respect for people who don't use Windows (or even OSX while we're at that) with the strange motivation of refusing to pirate stuff while not being able to afford to buy it properly than for people who are putting up an act of c001 h4x0r3z fighting "botnet 'n' stuff".

And having the need (and hence creating these threads) for self-reassurance to justify yourself is pretty pathetic. You are wasting your time and your life playing "gaymes" - it's just your "gayme" is actually a Unix system.

Unix environment is used when it's needed. It's used for getting shit done, not to watch Chinese porn cartoons and like fresh memes on Facebook. It's a sign of genuine idiocy to unironically suggest using anything Unix-based as a desktop OS (Well, save for OSX, I guess, but I hate OSX personally). It wasn't made for this purpose. It isn't developed for this purpose. The rudimental desktop-oriented functions these OS possess are made as convenience measures for developers, not as means to "overthrow the botnet".
>>
>>58771888
>>58771871
>>58771902

Please provide the source link for the original full image.
>>
>>58769514
Games and ease of use. I have FreeNAS server for tinkering but most of the time I just want easy mode
>>
>>58769514
>What's actually holding you back from switching away from Windows for good fully over to a Linux distribution?
Having it work without wasting my time.
Priorities:
1. Doing what I want.
1337. Freedom from ``possible'' thought based oppression.
>>
Extreme stableness while having the latest software.
Debian and Ubuntu have broke on me from package updates. Windows has never failed me.
>>
Because I'm a gayman
>>
>>58769514
Linux seems to have issues with Youtube and the Windows environment is what I'm used to. Though Windows 10 has so little in common with classic Windows that I might as well switch to Linux when continuing to use Windows 7 becomes a non-option.
>>
I've given Linux a few tries as a primary OS but the amount of time I spend fixing any one issue is ridiculous. I wanna watch netflix. Oops gotta install a specific browser for that. Oops gotta configure some file somewhere to make the HTML5 display correctly. Oops gotta configure all these files to make font rendering not retarded. Oops it's not supported on that branch of that driver, you better get this other one that won't recognize your hardware and only works half the time. It's GPL!
>>
>>58772468
>Windows 10 has so little in common with classic Windows
That's a blatant lie.
>>
>>58771199
Why would you want to pay hundreds of dollars for a bloated proprietary shitware OS that will try to delete your existing OS partition, when you could get effectively the same functionality with a simple apt-get command?
>>
>>58771321
Android is definitely WAAY better than whatever "Windows" version runs on a tablet
>>
File: download_15.jpg (4KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
download_15.jpg
4KB, 205x246px
Battlefield 1
>>
>>58772543
>whatever "Windows" version runs on a tablet
Windows 10. The version the runs on a tablet is Windows 10 - the same as on PC. With all the functions and tools available, limited only by the specs of the tablet.
>>
File: 1479563308614.png (2MB, 3190x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479563308614.png
2MB, 3190x900px
>>58772570
Look, a cuckold.
>>
>>58771871
What Linus Torvalds created - the Linux kernel - is not by itself a complete operating system. You have to add SOMETHING else to make it minimally usable - that something is often, but not always, the GNU userland. So the general family of operating systems that combine the Linux kernel with the GNU userland is GNU/Linux. Distributions are a separate matter - they are a collection of software, including the Linux kernel and usually some form of GNU userland, as well as various third-party programs, in a form that can be easilly installed and run on a user's computer.

If your reasoning is that the Linux kernel by itself DOES include everything needed to meet the definition of a complete operating system, then you'd also have to accept that Microsoft Windows is not an operating system. Instead, the operating system is merely MS-DOS or NT, and Windows is merely an additional software package provided on top of it.

Your XFree86 argument seems to be one of the strongest arguments against "GNU/Linux", however recall that the GNU/Linux refers to an operating system FAMILY. It does not represent the most precise definition of any particular operating system package. The most precise you can get without getting into actual version numbers would be something like "Debian GNU/XFree86/Linux", though the exact order of terms after the distribution name isn't particularly relevant. It means a system which uses the GNU userland and XFree86, on top of the Linux kernel, and is a distribution maintained by the Debian people. But "GNU/Linux", the term, refers to ANY operating system with both GNU and Linux, it neither confirms or denies the presence of XFree86. The terminology is a specification of features - if a program requires both the Linux kernel and GNU userland, it would be labelled as "runs on GNU/Linux". If it requires only XFree86 but has no other requirements beyond what XFree86 requires, it's "runs under XFree86".
>>
>>58772514
Keep in mind that by "classic" I mean Win2000 and earlier. Even the transition to Win7 was painful for me.
>>
>>58772590
Which just shows how shitty an OS is. You shouldn't be running a tablet OS on a PC.
>>
I'm lazy and Windows (7) werks. Also muh gaymen.
>>
File: 1485806896646.jpg (69KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
1485806896646.jpg
69KB, 699x485px
Videogames.
WINE is shit and Linux ports usually run like dogshit.
>>
I switched to OSX instead.
>>
>>58772710
You could just get a console. That's what I did. Laptop + console masterrace.
>>
>>58772732
Console games are bad and run at bad framerates.
>>
>>58769514
I can't be arsed. I'm aware of the myriad reasons why switching would be a good idea, and in theory I agree with them, but at the end of the day what I'm currently running Just Werks™.
>>
Fear of looking stupid for not doing it before
Fear of looking stupid when they can't install a program
>>
There are no proper DAWs available for Linux. Ardour, Bitwig etc are a joke.
And eben if there was a DAW available you still couldn't properly produce music because there are no plug-ins available.
>>
Solidworks is the only thing I need to run on Windows that I can't get anywhere else. I've used my Linux laptop exclusively for a few months before, over school breaks, and that was fine.
>>
>>58772702
Which shows you know shit about the platform you are talking about.
>>
>>58769514
I think I like to micromanage the shit out of my systems and with Mac OS or Windows it feels a lot easier to write off a lot of things as simply part of the operating system. GNU/Linux is so incredibly modular and I never feel satisfied with my setup, I'm always tweaking the shit out of it or installing new packages to try things out and I ultimately end up with a system I feel is cluttered and incoherent.

But that's just one of the ultimate reasons, I have plenty of other reasons for liking my current setup; I prefer the Windows look-and-feel, I like the history and underlying architectural ideas behind NT, I like the commercial staples, and I like the compatibility that allows me to run all kinds of weirdo software I find in the depths of the internet. I'll stick to using both (and many other operating systems) where they're most convenient to or fun for what I want to accomplish.
>>
>>58769514
>What's actually holding you back from switching away from Windows for good fully over to a Linux distribution?
Give me a linux distro that is complete GUI only, no command line whatsoever, not for troubleshooting driver problems, not for installing or updating anything.
>>
Gaming mostly. If not for gaming I'd be on Linux. I'm actually planning to use it on my new laptop, since laptops are for srs bsns anyways
>>
>>58773392
>laptops are for srs bsns
wat
>>
switching cost is too high for the benefits I'd get, pretty simple vOv.

maybe I'll reconsider when Windows 7 extended support is done and Windows 10 is inevitably still a bad OS.
>>
>>58772543
Android is shit on large screen, ironically they were the ones who pushed phablets
>>
>>58772543
>whatever "Windows" version runs on a tablet
Nowadays, that would be full-fledged x86 Windows 10.

>>58769514
KDE breaks a lot.
>>
File: 1378261409050.jpg (278KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1378261409050.jpg
278KB, 800x600px
>>58769949
Please name good linux CAM software
>>
>>58769514
Basically Baby-duck syndrome
>>
>>58769514
I use windows for gaming on my desktop, and linux on my work laptop
>>
File: 32563325.jpg (7KB, 266x206px) Image search: [Google]
32563325.jpg
7KB, 266x206px
find a way to make work AutoHotkey scripts on Linux and i am sold
>>
File: lowbattery.jpg (13KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
lowbattery.jpg
13KB, 960x540px
Better power management, specifically battery life. I get half the battery on Linux compared to what I do with Windows 10 and it causes my laptop fans to always be kicking up. It's just not optimized for that thing yet.

That said I got a Chromebook and it's a very sleek device with none of the issues I described, but this is with stock non-devmode Chrome OS.
>>
>>58771968
"I started Linux as a desktop operating system. And it's the only area where Linux hasn't completely taken over. That just annoys the hell out of me."
>>
>>58774535
Nah, unlike you I use it for work.
>>
>>58775290
I tried to install Linux on work PC but because it's desktop, it's not working out so far.
>>
>>58772800
Do you not know what are VSTs?
>>
>>58769514
Dual boot master race although I hate Windows updates and always will. If it weren't for gaming I'd only run Ubuntu.
>>
>updates break my system on Linux
>can't play untranslated VNs on Linux
>Linux is dogshit for learning foreign languages
>Skype doesn't work on Linux
>Linux lacks functional software
>>
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/windows-drm-files-used-to-decloak-tor-browser-users/
>>
>>58769514
Currently, I see no reason in changing over to any distro, since everything I do on my computer I already have for Windows
>talking to faggots on Skype/Discord
>youtube
>music
Until there's a legitimate reason for me to change OS, the only "reason" to change is g/s linux shilling
>>
All this thread proves to me is that Windows is most versatile OS in existence used by your average /v/ermin right next to people who need productivity or accessibility while Linux users are autistic neets that use meme tier strawman arguments.
>>
>>58776122
Most of the vocal ones are just plebs who spend 90% of their computing time in a browser or consuming entertainment of some kind trying to make up for it by playing pretend political activist/system administrator.

There's a lot of valid reasons to enjoy a Unix-like environment, being a poser is not one of them.
>>
>>58772710
>Linux ports usually run like dogshit.
Works on my machine™
>WINE is shit
Use passthrough then
>>
File: 1464891524653.jpg (234KB, 1351x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1464891524653.jpg
234KB, 1351x1013px
>>58769514
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58776122
>Windows is most versatile OS in existence
>versetile
You do realise windows is pretty much dead outside gaming machines, right?
>Phones?
Nope
>Servers?
Nope, unless it's a windows virtual server.
>Embedded devices
Nope
>Supercomputers
Nope
>Routers, TVs etc
lol nope
>Mainframes
haha no.
Guess what, Linux runs and thrives on all of them. Windows is ingrained on desktops where actual tech inept people lay their hands on.
>Windows
>Versatile
Most, if not all windows users are computer illiterate that do not care about technology, your comment is a proof.
>>
>>58769514
>babbeh mad about 2% market share
kys
>>
>>58769514
video games
>>
>>58776225
Anon, but you are tech illiterate. And the fact you're promoting Linux usage as a desktop system proves it.
>>
>>58776225
I believe he's talking about software availability. Although I wouldn't count shitware as software. For example, when it comes to RAMdisks you're limited to using shit tier limited ones or paid ones which are still limited. Linux lets you create a RAMdisk with 2 commands and there's no RAM limit whatsoever.
Same goes with games, over 50% windows exclusive games are dogshit. Better games get ported to Linux or at least Mac unless they have a contract with M$.

Wincucks are delusional if they believe that just because they have access to ten times as much junkware that their OS is better.
>>
Show me a file manager that doesn't have retarded spacing between files in icon view (so that I can get more than 20-something fucking icons on a 34" screen), has consistent line breaks for long file names, OS-wide large thumbnail support (I want to see those thumbnails in any open/browse dialogue of any program), and the ability to show folder sizes in bytes in detail view, all in one.

Show me an image viewer that is a true equivalent of Irfanview, like Conky is a true equivalent of Rainmeter.

Show me an office package, that I won't get BTFO with, when I send a docx masde in it to my boss, who will open it on Windows.

Show me a DE that has a clean GUI with consistent icon themes, that aren't featuring 99% of the RGB scale per each icon with retarded gradients and such.

Then we can talk.

Don't even start writing replies questioning the usefulness of the feature I need, but your shit doesn't have, so you can claim that your shit is still superior without that feature.

I'm waiting.
>>
I just prefer windows plain and simple, I can use linux heck I've installed multiple distros on my laptop (Gentoo, Mint, Ubuntu, Arch) to try them out, But I just don't like the way it feels, I don't like the way that all you can do is browse the web or watch stuff/listen to stuff. I don't like the lack of dev support, I don't like the lack of productive programs (unifag here), I don't like grub, I don't like not having working drivers for half of my hardware. I just simply don't enjoy using it and it doesn't have anything to offer me as a uni student on a tight budget and little to no spare time.

The gaymes reason has some truth to to it, There is nothing wrong with being a gaymer to be truthful, it's a fun way to kill time when you have nothing better to do, However I do see where you come from with not liking it all memes aside, the people from /v/ can be quite toxic. Also shitting all over windows users with terms like botnet and wincuck is literally showing how incompetent of a computer user you are, notice how I gave an honest answer to why I don't like linux? Instead of calling it a meme or insulting it's user base I actually critically gave my opinions. take a hint linux users.
>>
>>58776296
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58776315
Really? I just typed all of that, and all you can do is correct my terminology?
A proper response would be nice.
>>
>>58769514
I have 2 laptops with Linux and a desktop with Windows 7, will go full Linux once MS drop support for 7. I use my desktop for recreational purposes, like drawing and gaming, where Windows is still superior to Linux.
>>
File: 1466478088771.png (115KB, 668x327px) Image search: [Google]
1466478088771.png
115KB, 668x327px
>>58776282
> "no you" response
If you don't have a proper counter argument why did you even reply? How's life being this butthurt?
>>
>>58769964
>OS has auto-restart after update as a preset
This is not productive anon.
>>
>>58769514
My tag based images folder. Almost 80k hand picked pictures. Not only I'm not able to properly use it(by using advanced search from browser's file picker dialog), lincuck os struggles to simply open it(probably it tries to generate all previews at once). I can't take such an OS seriously.
>>
>>58776330
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: Time Stop Pepe.jpg (47KB, 403x392px) Image search: [Google]
Time Stop Pepe.jpg
47KB, 403x392px
>>58776359
Neither is not having anything for your OS
>>
>>58776363
Sure thing Richard.
>>
>>58769514
Muh games.
I literally just play video games and browse the web on my home computer. Windows works fine for that.

I'm actually more comfortable with Linux since that's what we use for production at work, but since I'm not running a load balanced webserver or storage backend, I have no need for it. Windows is easier in every way.
>>
1. Office. LibreOffice doesn't suffice
2. Adobe tools. Those are not that important to me anymore but still nice to have.
3. Games. I'm not going to pretend I don't have a fuckton of games which only work on Windows, or work poorly under WINE.

Aside from that, one of my big issues with Linux, which I didn't list because Windows isn't the best thing either, is DEs.

Unity doesn't have much customization past the usual themes which aren't exactly that good looking, but everyone loves (arc, vertex). It's probably the closest thing to what I would have wanted though.

Gnome 3 runs slightly slow on my AMD GPU

KDE is a bit of a mess when it comes to mouse acceleration, and vsync kills performance

XFCE is not bad, but requires a compositor and proper themes since it doesn't use the same for borders, menus and window contents

MATE has similar issues

Cinnamon suffers from "this desklet/applet doesn't work because you're using a newer/older version"

Pantheon is on a distro which seems pretty unstable

Budgie is just crap with a side panel
>>
>>58776381
GNU/Linux*
>>
I have a few reasons, I'd love for someone to persuade me though.

1. Which fucking one
This sounds very strange, but I find it so difficult to pick, and often found myself distro-hopping until I settled on Arch, but then I just jump between desktop environments, eventually get annoyed with something, rice some shit, and try to kill myself. I'm an indecisive mess.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has a big problem actually deciding and sticking to one distro or DE, and eventually it annoys me to a point where I install Windows and just deal with it's shit and shit UI so I can play:

2. Games
I play two games, one of them has a Linux port (War Thunder) that works very well, the other doesn't (League of Legends).
>>
>>58776292
>Show me an image viewer that is a true equivalent of Irfanview, like Conky is a true equivalent of Rainmeter.
I wouldn't know about this, but the default one which comes with Ubuntu and it's derivatives is much better than windows default one and has everything you'd need. What features do you even need? And here I'm not "questioning usefulness" but just curious as for the years that I've been a winfag I haven't used anything other than windows image viewer as it was fine for everything other than .gif files (which I believe XP could open but 7 couldn't).

>Show me an office package, that I won't get BTFO with, when I send a docx masde in it to my boss, who will open it on Windows.
WPS

>Show me a DE that has a clean GUI with consistent icon themes, that aren't featuring 99% of the RGB scale per each icon with retarded gradients and such.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. KDE and GNOME just work.

>>58776296
>>58776329
Not him but here's the proper response.
>I install gentoo
I doubt it and therefore view your post as b8.
>lack of dev support
There's tons of support for those who need it. I personally haven't seen or heard of anyone actually calling Microsoft or an actual company for "dev support". People just get a local tech "expert" and get them to fix shit.
>lack of productive programs
Not an OSs fault, but I get that there isn't the same software available for lots of stuff. I never had this problem though, and I'm a CS student.
>I don't like grub
B8
>I want working drivers
I personally never had a problem with Linux drivers, but had problems with windows ones. Just don't be a consumerist sheep buying latest hardware and you'll be fine.
>why shitting on wincucks
There are more total wincucks in this thread shitting on Linux.

this thread is full of pajeets, people who never used Linux, or people who only used Linux for a day or a week tops.

>>58776383
>office
WPS
>adobe tools
I doubt you're the 1% of windows users who use this
>>
>>58776364
I dont understand. Not having anything for your os? You mean except for the wealth of free programs that are replicas/surrogates and improved replacements for shitty expensive MS programs?
>>
muh gaems. Keeping a W7 boot option for steam and some rare games from GOG (DOOM was bretty gud). Beside this i have no need in Windows anymore, it became secondary.
>>
>>58776390
GNU/Linux*
>>
I thought MS Office was obsolete with the advent of Google Docs. If all you care about is productivity, Google Docs is way better than MS Office.
>>
>>58776345
Anon, you haven't made an argument that needs to be countered. Your argument was, essentially: "everyone should use java machine as their OS".
You have no idea what are you talking about, hence the conclusion.
>>
>>58776399
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58776399
I do, I use Illustrator quite a bit. Inkscape isn't exactly a good replacement for it.

BTW, thanks for the recommendation. I thought WPS was only available on mobile devices.
>>
I only switch things if I find something significantly better. Linux is not just "not that much better", it's even worse in many regards(not the kernel, but the userland).
>>
>>58776225
Windows is still commonly used as the main server OS by many companies and institutions.

Mostly because it's easy to stand up a windows domain and retard-proof everything through AD.
I'd love if it were possible to run Linux on all of our desktops, but office isn't supported, and I don't think we could take the user meltdown of switching OSes.

I personally don't think it should be used as the go-to server OS, but more as a shepherd for all the desktop windows machines, while actual services are hosted on Linux machines.
>>
>>58776433
GNU/Linux*
>>
Something as thorough as ShareX.

I also have a laptop with Intel yadda yadda GPU and primarily output to a TV/Monitor, but can't get my desired resolution (1366x768) easily.
Hours in xrandr comes close but doesn't put out the same thing that Windows does.
>>
>>58776442
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58769514
I'm not poor enough to have hardware so old that it's supported by Linux.
>>
>>58776473
Nice projection, nobody said anything about price friend.
Sorry to hear about your situation, though.
>>
>>58776468
Linux
>>
>>58776479
Nice reading comprehension, typical lincuck.
>>
>>58776399
Well, it's hard to make a summary, since I could miss things I take for granted and feel are so basic, that they aren't even worth mentioning, but I'll try my best.

Features I want (and have in IrfanView):

- auto fitting pictures to window
- batch resizing with Lanczos resample
- decreasing bit depth
- brightness/contrast/gamma/RGB slider modifications
- saving pictures with the option to reset EXIF orientation and/or strip EXIF info completely
- selecting a custom area within a picture to crop / zoom that area (most Linux image viewers I know don't even use the mouse for jack shit)
- fine rotation, vertical and horizontal flip
- basic paint dialog with line, circle, rectangle and arrow drawing tools (so I can highlight things in screenshots)
- insert text/overlay/watermark
- applying effects to selected custom area (like blur to censor personal info from screenshot)
- additive paste (paste from clipboard to left/right/top/bottom of current image)

& more, hit char limit
>>
>>58776484
Linux is just the kernel.
>>
>>58776489
So you don't deny it.
I'm even more sorry, hope it works out for you.
>>
>>58776499
I don't care.

Linux.
>>
>>58776399
You make a few fair points, but..
>Tons of support for those who need it. I personally haven't seen or heard of anyone actually calling Microsoft or an actual company for "dev support". People just get a local tech "expert" and get them to fix shit.
My requirements as a dev corresponds to my SDD course I'm taking at school, we use visual and c++ and in order to follow my teacher's instructions correctly I prefer to use the same stuff as him.

>I don't like grub
>B8
I think it's annoying and confusing and don't see any reason to purposefully use it (other than booting a linux os)

>I personally never had a problem with Linux drivers, but had problems with windows ones. Just don't be a consumerist sheep buying latest hardware and you'll be fine
I'm still using 5-6 year old hardware, I never have issues with drivers in windows, whereas in linux shit just breaks at the tip of the hat for me.

>here are more total wincucks in this thread shitting on Linux. this thread is full of pajeets, people who never used Linux, or people who only used Linux for a day or a week tops.
Fair enough point again, my post wasn't directly targeting linux users (as much as it seems like it) it was meant to target people who can't give legitimate reasons for hating an os other than "muh botnet" or "muh 2mbs of ram"

I used linux for a quite a while (about 9 or 10 months) running arch and encountered the problems I had with it multiple times, and to rub salt in the wound the other distros I tried all had if not the same similar issues
>>
File: Ableton Live 8 Logo.png (217KB, 1600x1057px) Image search: [Google]
Ableton Live 8 Logo.png
217KB, 1600x1057px
>>58769514

Ableton live
Adobe Photoshop
Microsoft Office

FOSS equivalents are either dog shit in comparison or don't even exist.
>>
>>58776500
Keep that delicious non sequitur coming.
>>
>>58776473
So, you lack drivers for...? Don't you gonna say me there are no proprietary drivers for all the newest processors, boards and vidyacards?
>>
>>58776383
>Aside from that, one of my big issues with Linux, which I didn't list because Windows isn't the best thing either, is DEs.
Easy, just use a window manager. Fuck DEs.
>>
>>58776516
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58769514
softwares

linux softwares sucks so hard, most of them are not productive as their windows counters. also adobe products are not available, don't tell me to use wine and some shit, they are buggy as fuck. and i am very comfortable with windows products i don't see a reason to move linucks. I am not even talking about driver support in linux they are very embarrasing.
>>
>>58776536
Yeah, I find my time valuable. I have to be a piece of shit and play all of these videogames, you know.
>>
>>58776543
sorry, I meant GNU/Linux
>>
>>58776525
Nvidia Optimus. 7 years and it's still not working as intended.
>inb4 it "werks"
Trying using Optimus in Windows and then try saying that again with a straight face.
>>
>>58776556
What does that have to do with ditching DEs?
>>
File: file.png (46KB, 1911x305px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
46KB, 1911x305px
>>58776557
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>58775797
Are you fucking kidding me you fucking nigger? Literally 99% of all VSTs aren't available on Linux you piece of shit.
>>
>>58776557
No, you mean Linux. There are distros without GNU bullshit and drop in non-GNU replacements for the rest of them.
>>
>>58776564
That most windows managers you have to fiddle with a bit to make usable.
>>
>>58776569
With Linux I actually meant GNU/Linux.
>>
Here's my reason
>>
>>58769829
this
>>
>>58776586
i have same card, last time i tried linucks, there were no drivers for it. i had to use ubuntu 14.04 because muh x.org
>>
>>58776586
nice graphix man
>>
>>58776345
Another wincuck rekt
>>
>>58769514
I've been using Linux exclusively in 2007-2010. They degenerated in virtually every regard since then.
>>
>>58776605
Well that's the thing. Ubuntu ditched proprietary drivers, AMDGPU PRO are still barely functional and don't perform better on GCN 1.0 cards too.
>>
>>58769514
Microsoft Office, Gaymen and general usability/comfort. I have some experience with Linux and would be fine with most features.
>>
>>58776442
>Office isn't supported
Why are you not using Office Web? You are using the botnet OS anyway
>>
>>58769514
No need, it's built into Windows 10 now.
>>
>>58769514
fuck off Spazztry
>>
File: 1466754021852.jpg (135KB, 480x537px) Image search: [Google]
1466754021852.jpg
135KB, 480x537px
>>58776620
>>58776631

>>
>>58769681
>N00buntu
Reddit spy
>>
File: file.png (639KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
639KB, 1000x1000px
>>58776621
r9 280x is already problematic with getting hot very quick. i would not risk my gpu with open source drivers, most of them does not check thermal stuff. last time i tried that shit i could feel the heat on my face. and i have sapphire tri-x model with 3x fans tho
>>
>>58776595
Shut the fuck up you skinny fat weeaboo. Don't act as if you were some kind of CEO that doesn't "waste" his time by playing games. Instead you fucking seen degenerates spend all your time ricing your autistic Window managers and watching pedophile Anime movies. I swear to God.. Back then I'm college all Linux users looked the same. Either fat stinking pieces of shit who looked like they have never seen a shower or skinny fat faggots with computer guys posture lmfao.. And those are the type of people that accuse gamers of "wasting" their time.
>>
>>58776666
GNU is obsolete and harmful. Nothing depends on it at this point.
>>
>>58776673
If you need failsafes for your card not to cook, with 3 fans no less, you've bought a shitty card.
>>
File: 1484362490276.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1484362490276.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>>58776676
>wintoddler THIS mad
>>
>>58776676
sry, I meant GNU/Linux
>>
>>58776703
that shitty card works perfect in windows, thats why linux is shit
>>
File: IMG_20170203_065012.jpg (3MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_065012.jpg
3MB, 4096x2304px
>>58769514
I'm a character concept artist, and I use Photoshop. Literally don't see the point to bother with Linux to hack some stupid emulation which won't use my resources properly.
And no, muh free software is for poorfags who live on neetbucks
Also here's a photo of my ligameme
>>
>>58776673
Nah, it works "alright". As in, it's ok with games, not with the desktop for some weird ass reason. I don't understand how a gay game like saints row IV has no issues there, but Gnome 3.22 does.
>>
The fact that my Windows 7 installation alrady does everything I want it to
>>
File: screenshot_112.png (63KB, 1780x529px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_112.png
63KB, 1780x529px
>>58776718
>he argues with me
>must be a linux user
Guess again, faggot!
>>
>>58769964
>Well that's because Windows appeals to a much larger userbase and in order to seek a fringe OS and go thru the hoops of installing it, you have to have something really borderline about your personality.

>And borderline people are complicated and really like living on the edge, complicating their lives as much as possible, to feel like special snowflakes because they're not using something popular.
I think you don't get the point. Let me explain that for you:
If you have an problem in Linux, there a dozens of forums or documentations in which you almost always find the solution to your problem, even if its very specific.
So whats the difference in Windows you ask?
If can't solve your problem by clicking through the settings, you're fucked, cause the few forums you find are full of clueless people and some tech support guys, who are also clueless.
My Hybrid graphics didn't work in Win8.1 and even after 2 calls with the Hp support and searching through all support forums I couldn't solve it. The solution was Linux and Win10, which I dualbooted for a while and worked out of the box (Win10 was deleted later because every update broke somehting else)
>>
>>58776638
It wasn't all that great when we looked at it, and it would also require more servers to host the "private cloud".

Really the only thing that costs us real money is Office, since almost all prebuilts come with a windows license included.
>>
>The app gap is still real, and wine is a pain in the ass.
>Fragmentation, and the transition to flatpak/snap is far from done.
>Every fucking thing, from adding a new app to the most basic interface modding is a pain in the ass and makes you dive in terminals and system files. And don't give me the bull about app stores. Linux app stores are a piece of shit.
>Upgrading the OS is such a PC breaking clusterfuck eeryone just recommends reinstalling the thing every time a new version comes.
>Wayland is still transitioning.
>The GTK/Qt divide is still there, altough only gnome DE's and xfce remain.
>>
no drivers, no mainstream support for programs, gotta spend time fixing the os so it functions properly, updates will break everything 100% of the time
>>
>>58776739
Linux would be better.
>>
Mainly because of my AMD GPU and my hobby of peen measuring at hwbot. Even if I ignore those two reasons Linux has nothing to offer to me besides ricing and I'm not into that anyway.

>all the hubbub about updates, telemetry, auto restarting
Yeah, nah. If you're smart enough to set up anything else than Ubunto, you're smart enough how to turn those off.
>>
>>58776753
>>Upgrading the OS is such a PC breaking clusterfuck eeryone just recommends reinstalling the thing every time a new version comes.
Can't say Windows lacks this great feature too.
>>
>>58776666
Stale copypasta. Nice quads tho.
>>
File: 1472907605093.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1472907605093.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
>>58776762
>updates will break everything 100% of the time
That's the perfect descrpition of windows 10
>>
>>58771968
You're talking about every single GNU Distribution as if it was Arch. There are a shit ton of distributions that just werk, just like windows. Not only that, some of them werk even better and faster, since around a half of win10 is bloat.

Also, just because you don't give a fuck about ethical concerns of operating systems doesn't mean it's not a valid point against windows
>>
>>58769514
Remix os doesn't support my GPU yet. Other "distros" are some kind of cruel joke, I honestly pity people using them.
>>
>>58776783
good thing i use 7 then
>>
>>58776763
If you're giving me a satisfying response to all of the points mentioned in here >>58776399 I'll be switching today.
>>
linux userbase is very autistic
>>
>>58770325
This.
Since I don't have the hardware and feel like most AAA title are to similar to each other, I play a lot of Indie games, Linux is perfectly fine for my gaming needs
>>
>>58769879
If you don't know how to disable this I really doubt you can properly use any GNU/Linux distribution.

>Drivers
Literally just false.
>>
>>58776794
>I don't play AAA games
>Linux is perfectly fine for gaming
Pick one.
>>
Well im not an autistic weeb pedo manchildren who wants to rice the desktop to anime so i have no need for lincuck shitros
>>
>>58776790
Does irfanview work in Wine? :^)
Also the suggestion was made above, but I'll repeat it: ditch desktop environments in favor of window managers.

Other than that, I'm not trying to convert you.
>>
>>58776799
AAA games are for manchildren
>>
>>58772510
What the fuck are you doing with your system?
Which distro?
>>
>>58776804
Doesn't make much sense to make the switch, only to end up using Windows software on the new OS. If I can't use native solutions on Linux, I will keep using native solutions on Windows.
>>
>>58776795
>get a new piece of gear that requires drivers
>windows generic driver werks until i can get to a download page
>save the driver on my usb stick with all the others
>never have a problem ever again
i dont know how people find this hard
>>
>>58772832
Run windows in a virtual machine, I do the same thing and it werks much better than rebooting into $$$windows$$$
>>
>>58776774
Thing is, i upgraded(inb4 >more like downgraded, amitrite, lel, pwnage) a ton of windows computers to 10, or to the anniversary update. Worked very well(also shows that microsoft had the balls to make heavily restructuring the underlying architecture of the OS in a live way on hundreds of millions of PC's achievable)
Meanwhile, i both played with a modified rolling release to try out multiples DE's, and got a laptop with ubuntu 12.04preinstalled some years ago.
The first one did a kernel panic, the other shat itself half-way through jumping versions.
>>
>>58776808
False. AAA is for literal children.
>>
>>58776788
Good thing Microsoft had to update Windows Update itself to fix the onslaught of updates for 7 so users could keep getting them.

A few months ago I finally sat down and manually installed the updates required to do that, because Windows Update was so fucking beyond repair.
>>
>>58772468
Why should Linux have an issue with Youtube?
Since you can use the same browser in Win and Linux there can't be a difference
>>
>>58774373
install tlp
>>
>>58776825
i dont use windows update beyond downloading SP1 whenever i reinstall
>>
>>58776808
More than 90% of currently released titles on PC that categorize as Indie lack quality enough to be worth playing for free. For every cowadoody and ass creed released, you have a few hundreds of games done by people who just happened to learn how to use Unity a year ago, release a game in an alpha state because it's completely allowed, or consider themselves "artists" and make a cool pixel game with platforming, you know, because we didn't get enough of those already.

Disregard AAA all you want, some AAA titles have much more worth than the stupid shit that pops up on greenlight.
>>
>tried dual-booting linux for a while
>actually enjoyed fucking around with customization, trying different window managers, etc
>too attached to vidya to give up on windows, haven't actually booted into linux in months/years
>>
>>58776862
>there are shit games
Wow! The point is there is no innovation in AAA at all, they can't risk that.
>>
>>58776865
Eh. Friend of mine was tired of 7 in general so I set him up with Mint.

He's content that he can still play Dota 2 fine, and hasn't complained or had a reason to switch back since.
Even got his nip VNs working in Wine.
>>
>>58776836
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58769514
Video games.
>>
>>58776579
Not really. You just fiddle with them if you want to make them look different. They're usable out-of -the-box
>>
>>58775831
>Linux is the kernel
>Linux is the kernel
>Linux is the kernel
>Linux is the kernel
>Linux is the kernel
>>
>>58776938
Nobody gives a shit, everyone knows what he's referring to you autistic fuck
>>
>>58776862
While it's true, that there is currently a flood of indie games, you can simply play the good 10% (and a lot of them are really good).
>cool pixel game with platforming
True that there are too much of them, but the rise of indie games lead to the resurrection of almost dead and forgotten genres.
So you have on one side indie games, with all the different genres you can imagine and on the other side AAA with AC like action games and some flavors of FPS
>>
>>58776862
Hope Vulkan takes off and DirectX has a swift death.
>>
>>58776862
>people who just happened to learn how to use Unity a year ago, release a game in an alpha state because it's completely allowed, or consider themselves "artists" and make a cool pixel game with platforming, you know, because we didn't get enough of those already.
This.
I'm actually on a steam group for free games, and 90% of stuff, from indiegala and other places like that, are either comparable to cheap ass games my uncle gave me on a 100 game CD for my w98 pc, or shittier stuff than what i was playing on newgrounds in 6th grade.
>>
>>58776944
Why not use correct terminology?
>>
>>58776975
because it's semantics stallman ppops up to make himself feel important, after he couldn't get Hurd finished in time.
>>
>>58776975
You're free to use it.
>>
>>58776971
Well if the PC market doesn't force the change, mobile will.
>>
>>58776971
I'll take things that will never happen for 200.
>>
>>58776785
>There are a shit ton of distributions that just werk, just like windows. Not only that, some of them werk even better and faster, since around a half of win10 is bloat.
Lying is bad.
>>
>>58777011
We'll see, I guess. Not that Microsoft has any say in the matter.
>>
>>58776975
why do you refer to Indian-style spiced tea as "chai tea" when chai is just the word for tea

the origins of a word don't have to match perfectly with its public usage anon
if you say "linux" in the context of operating systems, everyone will understand you mean "gee-en-you-slash-linux"
>>
There are many things that you have to do in Linux (and not in other OSes) that add up and exhaust me after a while.
Chief of which is having to install obscure old packages from shady repositories to get some things to run right. I've had issues with almost any distro
>fucked up dorm wifi configuration straight up doesn't work in Arch unless I disable ipv6 from the kernel line. Had to investigate this shit for hours because it works fine with Windows and OSX
>Unity has fucked up tray icons but a program relies on the tray so have to go hunting for some dusty packages to get that going right
>to easily configure keyboard shortcuts in LXDE had to hunt for an ancient release of obconf in Launchpad
>try Xubuntu, wifi drops every half hour and screen tearing is shit so have to install Compton
>crappy xbox360 controller (probably knockoff) refuses to work right in Ubuntu whatever packages or configs I use
Like I said any of those things is a small issue but when they add up it gets frustrating considering there's an OS that automatically resolves them
>>
I think there are double standards, when people are arguing about usability in Win and Linux.
People used Win all their life and when they want to try Linux, most normies are overwhelmed with the possibilties and differences, especially with the use of the command line.
If it would be reversed (you have used Linux your whole life and you want to switch to Windows), people would complain in the same way about the almost hidden settings in Gui menus and submenus
>>
How do I load Android apps on a GNU/Linux distribution? I currently run it through VM, but if Leenuhks has something, I'd be up for that. I currently don't have a phone, but I can't give up Growlr/Grindr/Dandy
>>
>>58776938
Not it's not. Linux has everything necessary already.
>>
File: R14kkDj.png (13KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
R14kkDj.png
13KB, 657x527px
Too lazy to learn that new
>>
>>58777067
The problem is, that most people try to argue against the other OS while they don't know shit about it, so every assumption they make WILL be wrong, and that just fuels an argument.
>>
>>58776739
>i3 CPU
>Beast

Choose one.
>>
>>58777075
We don't need filthy faggots like you to use any distro
>>
>>58777064

Linux is just a part of the complete OS; the kernel, just like NT in Windows or Xnu in OSX.
>>
>>58777084
try Zorin
>>
>>58777088
>what is sarcasm
>>
>>58769514
Because I dont have a lot of friends and the ones I have play games with me
>>
>>58769514
cuz linux sucks?
not gonna write that again, we all know it and if you dont, just read the archive ;)
>>
>>58777064
> "call indian tea" chai tea
sry, but noone does that.
>>
>>58777067
no, they wouldnt thats why we came from MS-Dos to Windows.
>>
>>58769829
>That's what linbabby believes
I have gayman, professional software that doesn't exist on Linux, my audio card isn't supported on Linux unless I fuck around in kernel, also better support of everything overall. Now get back to installing arch and ricing it with anime tiddies
>>
File: 1397172982611.png (19KB, 286x256px) Image search: [Google]
1397172982611.png
19KB, 286x256px
>>58769514
Adobe Flash DRM.
>>
>>58777064
wonder how that stuff would work in my language?
Ceai chai?
>>58777121
I head some people do as well, actually.
>>
>>58769913
Because Microsoft has a lot of money
>>
>>58777145
>Be manchild
>Play video games
>Autism audiophile obsession
>Buys placebo audio card
>Gets angry he can't into Linux
>Post on /g/
Time to hang yourself, autismo
>>
>>58777155
Flash is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>58777155
>Current year
>Flash
>>
>>58777171
And the consumers have more, damn.
>>
>>58777173
No other way to play HBOGO
>>
>>58777155
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/adobe-announced-will-restart-support-flash-linux
>>
>>58774274

Bash scripts actually work, and can call xdotool.
>>
>>58777091
Their latest version is shit imo.
>they removed suspend
>has both "open a new window" and "new window" option upon right clicking on a favourite app. "new window" works, but "open a new window" doesn't. It should be removed as it serves no purpose.
>laggy and shit out of the box, you must update it immediately otherwise it's unusable
>all the extensive settings removed
I like Zorin, but Zorin 12 is still in beta and from my experience Zorin 9 is much better.
>>
>>58777115
That's a nice wallpaper, thanks for posting.
>>
>>58777172
>posts on computer forum on an anime imageboard
>calls others autistic
everyone in this thread is autistic anon
>>
>>58776292

> Show me an image viewer that is a true equivalent of Irfanview, like Conky is a true equivalent of Rainmeter.

Default Gnome one(I think it's called lightroom)

> Show me an office package, that I won't get BTFO with, when I send a docx masde in it to my boss, who will open it on Windows.

This is Microsoft's fault for not following THEIR OWN FUCKING STANDARDS.Use pdf or rtf.

> Show me a DE that has a clean GUI with consistent icon themes, that aren't featuring 99% of the RGB scale per each icon with retarded gradients and such.

GNOME does that.
>>
You delusional faggots. In the business world there is no way for clients other then using Windows or thin clients and virtualisation like citrix. And even then you use software that ist not supported on Linux like fucking MS Office, Adobe, solid works what ever. And where is a alternative to exchange that actually works and is scaleable? What about video production? Everything besides lightworks is shit.

And windows does force your pc to shutdown? Lol maybe for home users and even then u can fix it. Everything client side is just less work to set up and maintain productivity on a Microsoft platform. And I some cases even serverside...

Only reason to use Linux on a desktop is if u want to tinker and have the time to do it.

I am sorry I have job and Linux is not my hobby.

I have seen government agencies trying to switch to Linux and they come back to windows crying. No matter how much they spent for support it all went to shit.

Linux is cool but not on fucking client PCs.
>>
>>58776383
Then use i3.
>>
>>58776497

Nvm, your correction shows you want imagemagik (yes it's a CLI, git god).
>>
>>58769679
>>58770231
ayy lmao
>>
>>58777253
is this a new pasta
>>
>>58777280
No I just wrote this wile taking a dump on my lunch break
.... My life might be sad but at least I am not a freetard
>>
>>58777266
"correction"

No fucking correction, I said equivalent. It's not a correction if you don't know what I am talking about.

>>58777250

>cli
>image viewing/editing

>Use pdf or rtf
Sure, I'll just tell my boss to fuck himself with his docx.

>gnome
>literally the prime example of what I've just written

fuck off
>>
>>58777302
>that proprietary format dick
So Microsoft bares no blame for being in their own little world?
>>
>>58777321
Can you, or can you not name Linux software with the specific requirements I asked for, so I can form the necessary environment on Linux for uninterrupted workflow. Stay on point. Yes/No.
>>
>>58777360
not him, but LO or WPS can be set to use docx as default.
>>
>>58777163
in my language it would actually be indian chai
// we have the word chai, so, fag
>>
>>58777366
not him, but from my experience that fucks up the file with some changes, i.e. its not fully compatible and once it fucks up there is no way back
>>
>>58777382
t. Slav
>>
>>58777403
Only LO has that problem, and it usually only affects .doc format. WPS and Google Docs have flawless support.
>>
>>58777403
seems like a bug to report then
>>
>>58777382
i know. we probably took ceai from you.
Well, from the persians, via you.
>>
>>58770077
boot a vm senpailia
>>
>>58771199
>most definitely runs the program worse instead of just using Windows natively.
You'd be surprised at how often it's the opposite.
>>
I'm going to try that GPU passthrough thingie
>>
>>58777321
a world in which the standard was not a proprietary format would be a better world

but unless you've got a magic wand, everyone who's not a FOSS nerd still wants .docx
>>
>>58769514
The fact that I don't want to?

The fact that I used linux for years, and after windows 8+ found out I actually find windows to be the better day to day OS.

Is that so hard to understand?

Linux is still on my servers,
>>
Linux does what windon't
>>
File: baka_big.png (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
baka_big.png
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>58769514
Visual Studio
SSMS
Office suite that doesn't mangle the format on everything
Many other applications I use to development and BI purposes, like PBI Desktop. LabTech and ConnectWise clients.
Video Games

My coworker runs OpenSUSE, I think, and he spends more time in his Windows 10 VM than actually in his operating system.
>>
File: division_birds.jpg (2MB, 2332x3000px) Image search: [Google]
division_birds.jpg
2MB, 2332x3000px
>>58769514
See, I'm using Windows 7 at work and xubuntu at home. I do have a windows 7 machine at home and I still use it for a few things that just work better. I've been waiting for some free time to build a nice little wes7 machine, probably virtual, or maybe even as my "hypervisor". Here's the thing, I don't care what you or anyone else uses. I don't have stupid backgrounds in which a obstreperous young penguin eyes up an innocent butterfly (pic related is my background) . I don't long for the year of the Linux desktop. I don't care. You are shilling for free software, in what is probably a capitalist country. Who is the real cuckold?
>>
>Gaymes
>Office (I try to use LaTeX when I can but sometimes it's not worth it)
>Drivers

That's about it, really, I've been trying to make the switch for a long time and for my next build when I go to university I'll probably go full loonix.
>>
>>58774274
why do you need them? is there no commandline equivalent for what you need on linux?
>>
>>58775831
>can't play untranslated VNs on Linux
YMMV but i've heard that Wine is better at compatibility with old windows versions than Windows Compatibility mode.
And it's not like those games work flawlessly on windows either...
>>
I've been trying to switch since I tried Fedora 2 13 years ago. I already made the switch on my laptop in 2008, but Linux is still not "there" to make it a decent desktop OS.
>>
>>58777302
if you want batch processing you write text. whether that's cumbersome autohotkey or a nice CLI tool. Yes, there are _some_ GUI tools that support limited automation, but they're few and far between. meanwhile any CLI tool is trivial to automate.
If you want proper automation, you either write code in some scripting language or you use CLI tools. Period.
>>
>>58776703
all 250$+ cards are shit anon
if you want a decent card you're gonna have to go with the professional variants which cost a multitude of the consumer variants
>>
>>58778178
>If you want proper automation, you either write code in some scripting language or you use CLI tools. Period.
>Linux
>2017

In the meanwhile I can do this with my mouse alone on Windows in the fraction of the time it takes to learn the CLI lingo to apply it.
>>
>>58769514
pajeetos to lincucks is a sidegrade at best

the only upgrade is macOS
>>
They both suck. Why anyone would put effort in to get marginal gain is beyond me.
>>
>>58776676
What the fuck did you just fuck say about me, you little proprietary bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the FSF, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Apple patents, and I have over 300 confirmed bug fixes. I am trained in Free Software Evangelizing and I'm the top code contributer for the entire GNU HURD. You are nothing to me but just another compile time error. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fuck words. You think you can get away with saying that fuck to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am building a GUI using GTK+ and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fuck dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can decompile you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my Model M. Not only am I extensively trained in EMACS, but I have access to the entire arsenal of LISP functions and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little fuck. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fuck tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will fuck Freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You're fuck debugged, kiddo.
>>
>>58771871
>GCC
It kinda sucks though. By modern standards. Haven't kept up at all.
People keep recommending it because it's what they've used. Nobody serious in industry that cares about their compiler (outside of Executable size constraints, it's pretty good at that when you don't consider the domain specific competition) uses GCC as their core compiler.
>>
>>58771888
>clock cycles spent on code is more important.
Wow. I didn't know. Time to write open source software that only aims to optimise CPU wait times at expense of algorithmic efficiency.
I'll make the importantest softwares of the computers.
>>
>>58769514
I had used Windows for 17 years or so. I think I just got fed up with it. One day, two weeks ago I forgot my password to it. I didn't even bother remembering it, I just installed Ubuntu.

And it is so much better
>>
>>58769514
Lack of professional business software support
Shitty drivers
No games and running them through WINE or a emulator is not optimal
>>
>>58778216
alright anon, please find me all documents that mention <whatever>
Note that there are about 600 documents.
This doesn't take long with a few CLI tools and possibly AHK.
That's the whole point of automation. You automate something so that you don't have to do the same task 300x times, and GUIs suck for automation.
>>
File: total_commander_find_files.gif (16KB, 489x241px) Image search: [Google]
total_commander_find_files.gif
16KB, 489x241px
>>58778338
You were saying?
>>
>>58778338
You still don't get it, do you? Every time there is CLI involved, there are commands to be learned. Every time there is AHK involved there are scripts to write.

Every time there is a GUI involved you just have to read what the options say in English. There is no learning curve, you just do it.

That's why a GUI beats any CLI based solution whenever shit just needs to get done.

Can you do it faster with CLI? Irrelevant, there is no time allotted for learning it.
>>
>>58769514
I installed Linux Mint and realized that it only did things that Windows did except worse, and I didn't want to learn to learn to use the OS with the hundreds of commands and retarded problems it has to put games on it.

>comes with notes
>click it
>takes like 5 or more seconds to load
>need to set up where they are saved to
>only puts it in the task bar
>closing them puts it back on taskbar

>windows 7 notes
>click it on launch bar
>launches instantly
>stores notes until deleted
>close note launch button to remove from screen

Also rarely breaks.
>>
>>58778490
massively inferior to grep/find
>>
>>58778625
complex GUI tools have a learning curve too.
You don't know how to do complex task x without having spent a significant time in, say, photoshop
>>
>>58778839
Nice strawman. The topic is executing batch tasks.
>>
>>58778817
see
>>58778625
>>
>>58769514
I triple boot win 7,mint and Kali depending on work or play,ive been solely Linux for 15+ years (dabbling with vista briefly but never my main os) only have win 7 now for gaymes (which I hardly play) and uni stuff.
>>
>>58778913
>grep
>learning curve
alright senpai
>>
>>58779044
see
>>58777087
>>
>>58776198
>use passthrough
I'd rather just run Windows than bother with doing pass through for a windows VM I'd spend a considerable amount of time in anyway.
>>
>>58778995
So fucking leet
>>
>>58771216
Darktable, GIMP and Krita
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.