[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech companies have been pushing VR pretty hard in 2016 but it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Tech companies have been pushing VR pretty hard in 2016 but it's 2017 and I'm not seeing much VR related technology actually being distributed and used.

Is VR a flop?

One would have thought with the low cost of Google glass and the abundance of UHD phones that it would have been much more popular at least.
>>
It's premature. Neither the processing silicon nor the battery tech is ready yet.
>>
Nintendo Switch will save VR
>>
So there's the "stick your phone in this headset" stuff and there's stuff like the Vive.

The former is a flop because it's a gimmick. That Google seriously distributed a product called Cardboard should have given that away. Yeah phones are getting better and all but you've really gotta stop and think about this like a typical consumer. Are they really going to blow $50 on this big visor thing which will probably get used for one evening before the novelty wears off?

The latter is pretty great but it's not within the grasp of most people. You need somewhat decent PC hardware to drive it and enough open space to really immerse yourself into it. That limits market growth, which in turn slows the push you're talking about.

I still have faith in VR. We're just not at the point yet where it's grab 'n' go.
>>
File: cell.jpg (39KB, 357x500px) Image search: [Google]
cell.jpg
39KB, 357x500px
>>58764194
It's just getting started. I am certain it is the future, but I am certainly staying away from buying into it until like 5-10 years from now.

The VR tech out now is equal to when cell phones where new.
>>
Only tangentially related, but the Galaxy s7 uses micro USB instead of type c because of the gear VR, at least that's what I heard. Does that mean the s8 is likely to use micro USB instead of type c as well?
>>
>>58764319
They release a new Gear VR to accompany every Galaxy S*. They'll probably toss in an adapter for previous customers.
>>
>>58764359
The US, the Caribbean, Brazil, or Africa.

>>58764344
Thanks.
>>
>>58764318
>The VR tech out now is equal to when cell phones where new.

mate, VR is old shit. I remember using it in the 90s on a omnidirectional treadmill. It was shit then, its shit now.
>>
>>58764380
I didn't say VR was new. I said the current tech of VR is primitive as shit.

It will get better.

Honestly I hope it doesn't, and I hope you're right that it will never amount to anything. But I'm no luddite and if it does end up becoming good, I will have to buy into it.
>>
>>58764424
its not primitive, its running on billions of transistors with the 1070 / 1080;s
>>
>>58764435
I'm obviously talking relatively speaking retard. When cell phones first came out they weren't primitive either.
>>
>>58764449
relatively speaking the hardware is like 1000x better than the omnidirectional treadmill era shit i tried in the 90s. and still, the results are lackluster
>>
>>58764302
thankfully with the gtx 1060 and x 480 being VR compatible, i think more people can enoy VR while as before it was for high end enthusiast now can be enjoyed for more budget builders.
>>
>>58764194
VR is indeed a flop. They tried that shit in the 50s with 3D movies, in the 80s with 3D broadcasts, in the 00s with better 3D TV and most recently this shit ass head goggle crap.

Nobody gives a fuck. It's already dead again. Maybe in the 2030s they will give it another go for a while.
>>
>>58764194
sauce on that pic?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.