[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>running hackintosh as my main OS >buy a new 4tb HDD >format

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

>running hackintosh as my main OS
>buy a new 4tb HDD
>format it as FAT32 so I can use it to access data when dual booting into winblows
>after a few months suddenly the partition becomes RAW for no reason

wat do
>>
File: 1485849387323.jpg (34KB, 293x357px) Image search: [Google]
1485849387323.jpg
34KB, 293x357px
>>58760951
>4 TB hdd
>FAT32
Surely no one could be this retarded....
>>
>>58760951
>FAT32
>2017
wtf is wrong with you? why not NTFS?
>>
You can't have a file over 4GB on a FAT32 drive, you're a fucking idiot to format a storage drive to a legacy file system that's mostly reserved for USB drives now.
>>
>>58760951

Formating != implementing a filesystem on a partition

Fuck you troll REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1348936851760.jpg (28KB, 535x532px) Image search: [Google]
1348936851760.jpg
28KB, 535x532px
>>58760951
>hackintosh
>4tb
>FAT32
>RAW for no reason

You just gave yourself 3 reasons.
>>
>>58761045
then why did it work fine for many months?
>>
>>58761078
Either your drive failed, your hackintosh drivers are fucked and slowly corrupting the file system with write errors without you knowing or the FAT table was pending writes and wasn't properly flushed cause you have a Frankenstein build that finally bit you on the ass
>>
>>58760951
Try chkdsk /R /f
It has worked on some computers I have worked on that had the issue. The next step is test disk and then after that file recovery programs like recuva or Seagate file recovery.
Also I would suggest using exfat over fat32
>>
>>58761012
Actually: Formating != deleting all the data on a partition
"Formatting" refers to the act of changing the format of some partition; i.e., from RAW to exFAT. Of course, this deletes any existing data (marks it for overwrite). You can, obviously, format a partition with the same type of file system. However, this still deletes the data in the same way.
>>
>>58760951
>FAT32
>not exFAT
>>
>>58761176
Apparently it was exFAT not FAT32.

I was able to recover data using testdisk,

Windows 10 is a fucking joke, the drive worked perfectly for months but as soon as I started booting into winshit it died. I'm going to reformat and use HFS.
>>
>>58761764
Eh. You really should be making backups anyways anon.
>>
Use NTFS and tuxera next time.
>>
>>58761764
hackintosh NTFS driver should be robust these days. Why were you using FAT in the first place.
>>
Why would you use FAT32 for internal storage? NTFS works on MacOS with Tuxera (which is easily pirated), there's probably some free drivers out there too. As a rule of thumb I'd use exFAT before FAT32 as MacOS plays nice with it (it's what I use for memory sticks).
>>
>>58761164
He meant there's a difference between setting the partition filesystem type in the partition header and actually putting a new filesystem header inside the partition dumbass
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.