[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are Macbooks for linux work? I'm planning on getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 121.jpg (148KB, 1971x1306px) Image search: [Google]
121.jpg
148KB, 1971x1306px
How are Macbooks for linux work?

I'm planning on getting a 2015 rMBP don't know if its a mistake. I work (10-15% of the time) on ubuntu running ROS for some personal robot projects. Would there be an issue?
>>
>>58757438
Ive installed Linux on a couple of MBPs and it works. I personaly use Lubuntu and it works perfect. All the Wifi-drivers and similary often problematic drivers work just fine!
The one thing that is a bit anoying is apples new SIP (System integrity Protocol) that came with El Captian, it prevents you from doing any low level stuff while activated.
But how to deactivate that is specified in rEFInds wiki!
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
If you didnt know, you will need an other bootloader (like rEFInd to boot different OS:es that OSX/MacOS)
>>
File: 1458716852844.png (137KB, 636x727px) Image search: [Google]
1458716852844.png
137KB, 636x727px
>>58757438
>don't know if its a mistake.

Not even Acer is as utter shit as Applel.
>>
>>58757438
you can easily install Arch on its own partiton but I don't bother anymore. I have Arch in a VM but don't need it that much. MacOSX is POSIX and everything runs and you can compile anything.

check out http://brew.sh/ it;s a package manager for Mac that has everything.
>>
I had a late 2012 rMBP 15, fully loaded model, and it was pretty good. Did a lot of terminal work and such. Ran Arch in a VM, worked fine. 2015s are pretty much the same, a bit faster and cooler. I'd say it's probably a pretty damn good machine. Obviously a thinkpad is another good option though.
>>
>>58757796
Wonder if there is any similar datab about Linux on Apples machines?
The reason that i ask is that i just installed Elemental on a 2008 mac which El Capitan was the last MacOS compatible with that model...
And the laptop went from sluggish with OSX to just butter-smooth with Elemental!
(i used Elemental just to fool people at the office that it was the new version of MacOS...)
>>
>>58757438
Linux works on everything. Checking in on a MBA running mint
>>
There's no reason to buy a Macbook Pro if you're not using MacOS, why would you want Linux when you have something that actually works and has support?

ROS even works with Homebrew.
>>
>>58760096
>macbook into nonfree gnu/linux
why do people do this. like some nonfree gnu linux arent that bad but mint :(
>>
File: 1483068904473.png (362KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1483068904473.png
362KB, 2560x1440px
You're going to have trouble with the lid sleeping when closed

Use kernel 4.9 and above
echo and turn off the right things in
/proc/acpi/wakeup
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.