[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get a programming job without a degree in the United

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: C3LUOQyVUAAbCJc.jpg (159KB, 899x1199px) Image search: [Google]
C3LUOQyVUAAbCJc.jpg
159KB, 899x1199px
How do you get a programming job without a degree in the United States? What is *enough* of a portfolio to do that?

Spoonfeed me. I want a direct and complete answer, because I've heard answers to this before but they often contradict eachother. Also people say "do open source shit" but nobody explains how MUCH of that I should have under my belt before applying anywhere. I need more opinions.

Ferret unrelated.
>>
>>58746061

>Apply
>See if you get responses
>If not, do open source projects
>Apply
>See if you get responses
>If not, do more open source projects
>Apply
>>
>>58746098
hah

Well, that's fair.
>>
>>58746061
you can't. stop dreamming.
>>
>>58746284
>you can't. stop dreamming.
I keep seeing people say they did it.
>>
It's just a fact that doing it with a degree is easier, and you're more likely to be hired by big companies, since they're all about fostering the new generation. You'll probably get better work out of it too, since they won't use you as a code monkey.

I do know a guy who got a generic Engineering degree, decided that sucked, so he took a bunch of online machine learning courses and became a data scientist.
>>
>>5874638
I've gone that route OP. At my first ever job developing software I was earning 6 figures, no degree. Let me say that it's not easy though. If you're self-taught you won't know shit about algorithms and every recruitment agency is based around data structures and comp sci stuff -- stuff that all the people getting degrees have already spent years learning.

If you don't want to focus on that you'll have to apply directly to companies that don't yet have a HR department. It's HR's job to reject people who don't have degrees or prior experience and they use the most automated approach they can so if you want to talk to a real person you don't want to go through HR. IMO, most of the people in HR are women anyway and they don't know shit about software (go figure.)

It is probably easier to just learn comp sci stuff but the open source route really, really works (that's how I got my job. The tl; dr is: go find a problem and solve it for people. You'll have to learn marketing / self-promotion too if you want to go anywhere with this but that mostly just amounts to saying "hey, look at this thing I built" in online discussions. You'll have to grind hard to get any where with this and it may even add up to more than 4 years ... but eventually you'll talk to the right person and land a job.

GL, its possible, don't listen to anyone who says its not.
Source: highly paid neckbeard, dropped out of high school.
>>
>>58746061
are you brown person from a poor country?
>>
>>58749405
Yes. Portugal.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.