[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Gentoo unstable branch (with systemd) >Every piece of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1461723501830.jpg (33KB, 506x600px) Image search: [Google]
1461723501830.jpg
33KB, 506x600px
>Gentoo unstable branch (with systemd)

>Every piece of software on my system compiled with GCC 6.3.0 and CFLAGS -march=native -O3
>USE flags are optimized
>Custom kernel from git with settings for performance and low latency
>Intel microcode loaded
>Running on new AMDGPU open-source driver stack, mesa and LLVM built from git, entire rest of graphics/input stack built with latest stable versions available (libdrm, xorg-server, xf86-video-amdgpu, xf86-input-libevdev)
>Running openbox + compton, have keybind to enable/disable the compton compositor (Vsync)
>Have keybind for enabling cpufreq performance profile and overclocking my GPU

Why aren't you using Gentoo yet? Given the same hardware, NO ONE here has a faster system than me.
>>
>>58745690
I have a life and do other things than rice my desktop all day long. windows 7 is good enough for me.
>>
>>58745697
Why are you on /g/ - the 4chan technology board - and not Facebook?
>>
>>58745690
The speed increase isn't worth it unless you compiling for an exotic architecture.
>>
I don't need my system's speed to be optimized to the microsecond.
>>
>>58745725
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-5.3-New-Opt-Tests

U jelly?

It doesn't make as large of a difference for every package, but when every package on your system is compiled with -march=native and -O3 that's certainly faster than a binary distribution.

They can't use -march=native because they have to make generic binaries, and also at most use -O2 to compile packages

Intel's Clear Linux distro sually out-performs other distros, even in non-CPU burning programs, largely because they use similar compiler optimizations that I'm using on Gentoo.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=clear-steam-linux&num=1
>>
>>58745789
Why I should install gentoo for that instead of compiling from sources on any other system?
>>
>>58746013
Because compiling from sources on any other system is waste of time. On Gentoo your package manager control everything and you have choise of package version.
>>
>>58745690
>-O3
>Not -Ofast
Get a load of this pleb
>>
>>58745690
my system is faster, I use LFS systemd dev branch, also using deprecated xf86-input-libevdev just shows that you are a fucking mongoloid that doesn't know shit as you should be using libinput and xf86-input-libinput.
>>
>>58746013
Because you would be manually compiling all packages, something that would be a million times harder to do and maintain.

You wouldn't even be running another distro if you manually compiled all your own packages, you might have started off with Ubuntu, but you would now be running Linux from Scratch.

Gentoo has a package management system that automatically pulls in needed dependencies, compiles the software, and can upgrade to newer versions.

For example to install firefox I would just type "emerge firefox" and it would automatically compile and install.

Compare that to manually figuring out all of Firefox's dependencies and manually compiling firefox, which would be extremely more complicated and time consuming. There is hundreds of packages needed on a desktop system, and many of them use different build systems and have many quirks needed to compile them, all of which is automated by Gentoo.
>>
>>58746139
I used to use libinput, but I uninstalled it because I think evdev still might be better.

I have xorg config files to disable mouse acceleration for both evdev and libinput, don't assume I don't know about both of them cunt.
>>
>>58745690
I use Windows 10 which takes care of optimizations, drivers and updates required for my system automatically.

Step up nigger.
>>
>>58745690
>with systemd
I thought one of the most prominent reasons to use Gentoo was that you don't need systemd.
>>
>>58746241
>insulting gentoo brother by using (((N))) world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDT6Y2Bkchs
>>
>>58746180
compiling from source with a package manager is slackware and it is not impossible
>>
>>58746180
Sounds like slackware level autismo.
>>
>>58746230
sorry you should have said that in the first place. I think libinput is great, everthing just werks.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.