[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having a dumb problem with XFCE4 and I'm hoping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: td_rdp_3.png (546KB, 1363x768px) Image search: [Google]
td_rdp_3.png
546KB, 1363x768px
I'm having a dumb problem with XFCE4 and I'm hoping you guys can help. I'm just trying to find an applet that i can use in an XFCE4 panel which will scan available WiFi networks and let me connect to one. That's it. It seems so simple, but I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere. The network manager tool built in with XFCE4 doesn't let me scan for available networks as far as I can tell, only connect manually. Can anyone help out here?

Or even if it's not natively an XFCE4 applet i don't really care, I just want to scan for networks
>>
>>58736119
Wicd should come with one
>>
This is of use to me. Thanks
>>
You can do this with the wpa_supplicant GUI, but it's not an XCFE applet.

Just letting you know.
>>
>>58736119
Make sure NetworkManager is actually installed and running. The panel applet is just a gui tool that connects to the NetworkManager service.
>>
>>58736119
sudo apt install network-manager rfkill wpasupplicant network-manager-gnome gnome-system-tools
>>
>>58736119
xfce is a really retarded DE which was upgraded by xubuntu devs. that is why I recommend people using xubuntu or use Gnome as most DE's rely on Gnome tools anyway.
>>
>>58736119
nm-applet?

It's an independent tool built for Gnome/Ubuntu, it runs *in* the system tray

>>58737817
Has its recent infusion of life come from the Xubuntu devs? Late 2015, it was basically dying; I am curious what caused it to suddenly get functional
>>
>>58738329
xfce lacked many key features like user groups network manager and even power manager. you could not even set the user account picture and it control panel does not display all the available settings which show up in the menu.

Few other tweaks to make it usable and Numix is installed by default so you can get rid of the ugly Bluebird scheme.

I personally prefer Unity as menu bars and title bars consolidate into the global menu and you get more space on your desktop.
>>
>>58738329
this, nm-applet works for me
>>
>>58738502
>forced HUEG bar at the side
>forced bar along the top
>you get more space on your desktop.
meanwhile xfce can be used as a single 16px panel
>>
>>58738572
side bar can autohide. global bar merges with maximized windows instead of a huge bezel in between like Gnome.

Unity is the only usable DE on Linux, everything else is deprecated garbage.
>>
>>58738587
>side bar can autohide.
same with xfce m8
>global bar merges with maximized windows
which makes it more difficult to see which window is focused, great feature.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.