[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got my hands on 35x 320gb HDDs, 3x 500gb HDDs and 2x 1TB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I just got my hands on 35x 320gb HDDs, 3x 500gb HDDs and 2x 1TB HDDs, what do?

I just wanna fuck around with those. Is it possible to make a kind of portable Raid-0 that you plug into Usb3/Thunderbolt?
>>
Also, let's say I want to connect 20 or in so in a Raid-1 environment, to put on my network as storage space, what kind of hardware are we talking about?
>>
>>58723173
>portable Raid-0 that you plug into Usb3/Thunderbolt?

yep, but you will spend hundreds on the enclosure/RAID controller
>>
>>58723173
Sure. You can go find a cheapo old PC, throw in a nice PSU, buy a few cheap $12 RAID cards, slam it all in, install FreeNAS, and fuck around with it.

If you like what you get, you can invest in a nicer case, a better RAID card, and make yourself a nice NAS box.

Or look around on CL for anyone selling a 8 bay NAS. Those tend to be very expensive new without HDs, but I'm sure you can find one under $200

Test those HDs first tho

but then again, hooking up all those 320GBs to make a decent size raid is gonna be a waste of additional resources.

You can always sell them on eBay on the very cheap for extra selling points.
>>
storage spaces on win8-10 can do that.
>>
>>58723263
Yeah but I am not at home right now, working on the other side of the globe. I guess selling is an option, I'll bring the 1tbs back and that's it. I'll think I'll go with the portal raid enclosure option and just sell the 320gbs.
>>
>>58723307
i mean brand new 6 TB drives are starting to show up for under $100. What you're doing doesn't have a practical application, but it might be fun to dick around with
>>
>>58723173
>Is it possible to make a kind of portable Raid-0 that you plug into Usb3/Thunderbolt?
It'll be really expensive (likely cost more than the total value of the drives). You'd be better off finding an enclosure that fits a mini-itx board and sharing them via iSCSI.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dougISKs2vQ

can probably do it
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.