[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

(Retarded?) question here : Why does an OS with both native windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

(Retarded?) question here :
Why does an OS with both native windows exe's and Linux pckgs support not exist. Can someone explain why it's impossible/not worth making or why it hasn't been made yet ?
>>
Because wine is dogshit.
And Ubuntu on bash on Windows is terrible too, or whatever it's called.
Also, Windows is closed source so no way in hell will they let Linux developers add native support of Windows apps.
>>
Windows is proprietary and recreating the WinAPI through debugging is a fucking pain. Just look at wine, they've had years to work on their product yet it's still complete shit. As for "Linux pckgs", there's no universal package format for Linux but instead they're made to be used with a specific package manager.
>>
>>58711822
>>58711807
hmm okay.
but if the API is created theoretically native support would be possible ?
>>
>>58711840
Yes, it's theoretically possible but for best support it has to be added directly to the kernel, what wine does is just translate WinAPI calls to its Linux equivalent.
>>
>>58711925
that's what i thought ... never thought it was actually because of licensing
fuckin cockblocks
>>
>>58711946
Yeah man, that's kind of the point of a paid OS: they don't want you to be able to use programs outside their OS. If you could do that, you wouldn't need them.
>>
>>58711925
The officially sanctioned way to do it is to just configure binfmt_misc to run wine when someone tries to exec() an exe file. See here for more details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binfmt_misc

There is no reason to have an exe loader in the kernel when the userspace solution works just fine and is less likely to take down the system when wine fails.

>>58711822
I still commend them for what they've done, considering how far wine has come without any major corporate backing. They are trying to reimplement an OS developed by 100000s of people who are all being paid large amounts of money.
>>
>>58711764
Because Microsoft always dedicated itself to divide windows users from other OS options, forcing their users into closed source proprietary shitware and giving incentives to companies to use those shitware exclusively.
They will never cooperate with Linux devs to make any kind of real compatibility layer because their business is locking users to Windows as much as they can.
So Wine is the best we can get and that will probably never change.
>>
>>58712011
ay that looks smarter than a kernel solution
I know wine only works for certain apps because they can't manage to translate certain functions, so do they have an active forum or something where devs collab to solve certain issues ? The "to-do list" has 6pgs
>>
>>58712065
I've never really realized. Only makes me hate them more after win10 and forced updates/info selling bullshittery that everyone seems to overlook
>>
>>58712086
Wine uses mailing lists extensively. Old school, but many projects find that it's still the best solution.
>>
>>58712116
ah found it thanks
Do you imagine how amazing it would be to have an OS to run them all. I feel like at this point in time it should be a thing already
>>
>>58712148
Stupid idea, they can just release sources of programs, which can be built on any os. But if they don't do it they won't let us run their native programs on linux.
>>
>>58712148
Personally I feel it's getting less important. The best thing about win32 is all the software developed for windows from roughly 1998-2008, but with the exception of games the use cases for that software are evaporating. For better or worse, people are developing new software for the web, or using cross-platform frameworks in a high-level language. Even Microsoft seems to care a lot about the web-app version of Office now.
>>
>>58712293
ok but what about macOS, its a huge user base, some people buy macs just for the apps. Yes theres hackintosh but theres no mac equivalent of Wine.
Thats a bit overdue since i assume it's closer to linux than windows ?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.