[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even possible to help somebody with shit internet? My

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

Is it even possible to help somebody with shit internet?

My sister is in Canada and wants me to edit some video files for her. We tried Google drive and it was too slow to handle a 10gb file. Then MEGA, same thing. Then Resilio Sync, same shit.

She's getting about 300 kbps upload at her apartment and her university. At this rate, it says it'll take days to transfer the files which she does not have the time for. Am I doing something wrong or is Canada's internet just trash? Is there any way I can possibly help her?
>>
>>58708888
She flies out to you.

This is the only viable option if this is supposed to get in days, and your internet is shit.

Alternatively you can fly to her campus.
>>
>>58708917
God damn it

Yeah I assumed I was pretty much fucked. Do you guys know if Canada just has notoriously pathetic Internet?

I assumed her uni would have decent speed but it seems like a nationwide epidemic
>>
>>58708888
>her university
>300 kbps
what
>>
>>58709190
>I assumed her uni would have decent speed
even a uni in africa is going to have fibre

I question your sister's ability OP, 300k up from a uni does not sound right
>>
Is there no decent wifi anywhere? At a public library or mcdonald's, for example.
Another solution is to just snail mail a flash drive. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere with dial-up and a 1st class padded envelope usually reaches him next day. Going to canada might add some time, though.
>>
>>58708888
>300k
>""""university""""

Are you sure you aren't editing her JAV shoot?
>>
File: 1451373267878.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1451373267878.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>58709303
>>58709338
>>58709429
Yeah that's why I tried several different methods. But her upload / download speeds are abysmal even on that speedtest website that exaggerates your speed by a factor of like 10.
>>
>>58708888
why not ssh into her workstation and work there?
>>
>>58708888
Canada's internet became notorious ever since it was deregulated like six years ago. Times sure have changed.
>>
>>58709459
Is she hooked up to an ethernet port?

It might just be her wifi-card is garbage.
>>
>>58708888
why not tell her to compress the files?
I.E ZIP, TAR, RAR, etc...?

There is a reason file compression exists...
>>
>>58711714
>being this retarded

>>58708888
nigga just get her to mail you a fucking flash drive
>>
>>58708888
checked

compress it with something like 7z but make it multiple archives, this way you'll only have to upload multiple - say 300 MB - archives, it'll still take you a long time but at least you can pause your uploading and continue the next day
>>
>>58708888
Have her make a torrent see if that is any faster.
>>
>>58708888
She encodes them to a lower res and bitrate files and you do the edit with those proxy video files and finally she renders the final cut. Problem solved.
>>
>>58711714
Is this bait?
>>
As a Canadian, my residential internet is shit but my uni's is top of the line. My guess is your sister's uni is throttling her upload to discourage torrenting/server hosting on the uni network?
>>
Also most economical possible method is to have your sister copy the file to a transferable media like a flash drive or external drive enclosure. Then copy the files from there to multiple computers on different networks, and have them all form a swarm to seed the file to you. That way you can leverage multiple internet connections locally to increase upload.

She could also ask her uni's IT staff if they can unthrottle her connection temporarily for this express purpose, assuming A. it is school related work and B. she is in fact throttled.
>>
She is more than likely on wireless.
>>
Tell her to buy a cheap 16GB flash drive and then express mail it.

Her university probably has perfectly fine internet access on campus, for the professors and faculty, but they only give each dorm an extremely throttled connection.
>>
Tell her to get handbrake and compress the files to mp4 with some render settings off youtube
>>
>>58708888
Hey OP, nice quads.

Have her do a speedtest, and see if it's being throttled. For transferring the file, you could spin up a vps with owncloud/Nextcloud and have her upload it that way. They're dirt cheap, and it might do the job.
>>
Why don't you remote in and just edit the file in her PC with TeamViewer or similar?
>>
Man, I wish I had 300kbps upload
>>
>>58708888
Bittorrent / Syncthing.

Compress with like lagarith, ffv1, lossless h.264/265 first.

Still wont be faster than her connection is, though. Send by mail or find a faster connection.
>>
>>58714185
Can't you get it?

You could have 1Gbit/1Gbit on fiber at $65/month here. Arguably more people are still on only 200/20mbit (or 500/50) on copper...
>>
File: 1462132082990.jpg (171KB, 1412x768px) Image search: [Google]
1462132082990.jpg
171KB, 1412x768px
>>58711714
He is right.
Slip in parts that work better for her, use 7zip.

If not, and you have plenty of time, just compress to .kgb, it will take days but you will get 5GB or way less.
>>
>>58714137
This is probably the only viable solution.
>>
>>58708888
You could always throw it on a USB drive and mail it
>>
File: 1485177531138.png (686KB, 701x775px) Image search: [Google]
1485177531138.png
686KB, 701x775px
>>58714445
edit video in remote control its not a easy task, because of the lag, since she has a crappy wifi, the lag would be terrible
>>
>>58709190
Canada and Aus have awful, awful internet

USA is pretty bad too compared to yurop but not nearly as bad as those two
>>
>>58708888
>put video on flash drive
>she pays to ship it to you
>edit it
>pay to ship it back (unless only her upload speed is shit and she actually has decent downspeed)
>>
>>58714483
You can use a viewer with lossy compression like ultravnc or similar for shit connections.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.