[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/uru's, amateur to Networking here. Wanted to improve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Home Topology.png (13KB, 462x534px) Image search: [Google]
Home Topology.png
13KB, 462x534px
Hey /g/uru's, amateur to Networking here.

Wanted to improve my home network starting with this as a base. Wanted to fish it properly with patch outlets and all. Havent bought anything yet.

Did I fuck up?
>>
Come on guys, I even got dub dubs.

Help a ni/g//g/a out? Im not trying to steal phones today.
>>
One last sad pathetic bump.
>>
I don't know what "H" is supposed to mean, and depending on how large this house is having two switches is probably overkill
>>
Looks fine. You could just have one switch and run cables to the second floor if you wanna save money. Also you might want to put a wireless AP on the second floor if the WiFi signal isn't too strong.
>>
>>58708067

H for hub.

Just went with two switches to make future upgrades and changes easier. Could just fish a shorter cable up/down one floor instead of having a 100+ft cable go from top to bottom.
>>
>>58708121

Sorry meant to say this

>another 100+ ft
>>
>>58708121
What are you going to use a hub for in 2017?
>>
>>58707744

My advice to you is different from what most of /g/ will tell you.

My advice to you is that you're going through a lot of unnecessary trouble. Just get two Wireless-AC routers and put one in Bridge Mode, and you should be fine. Put anything that requires a wired connection (home server, etc) near the router, and wire it.

Yes, it will probably cost more cash. But, presumably, your time and effort has a real, nonzero value.
>>
>>58708163

Im gonna have some consoles and PC in the Den area.

Maybe I should have opted for a switch?

>>58708206

My first priority is QoS, price being second to that. I wanted the cables to be transmitting optimally and not losing latency.

My time is the least important factor, I wish to be efficient on performance.
>>
Sorry I lied.

Bump.
>>
>>58708484
>Maybe I should have opted for a switch?
You should 110% opt for a switch. Hubs are obsolete and deprecated. Get a switch even if it's a cheapo <$20 thing, pretty much any old dumb switch should manage full Gbit throughput.

>>58708206
This is a shit idea, definitely don't take this sort of advice.
>>
In my house I put every cable in the house leading to the basement. Then I put in a single 8 port switch, connected it to a pfsense router, which then connects to a modem.
>>
>>58708996

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the late reply. Was out for a bit.
>>
Hop on ebay and get some grey market Cisco APs. Flash them to autonomous mode.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.