[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 32GB of RAM overkill if I'm not doing video encoding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Is 32GB of RAM overkill if I'm not doing video encoding?
Got 16GB at the moment and deciding whether or not to just max it out.
>>
>>58702266
Perhaps set that money asside for when you build another machine with even faster RAM. I could have maxed out my RAM but I prefer the same amount but twice as fast.
>>
Have you ever been slowed down because of swapping? If not then don't bother.
>>
16GiB is already a meme, why would you want more
>>
If you have less than 32GB, /g/ won't respect you. Also make sure it's dual channel.
>>
>>58702299

desu senpai if you're not running 16 gigs you're not really a power user, though 8 is acceptable for enthusiasts.

32 is for people who actually go over 16 all the time.

i've got 16 but i'm only using 4.4 right now.
>>
In almost every case yes. 8gb will do most people, 16gb covers 99% of "power users" and and all gamers. I require 32gb but that is only because my work requires data manipulation of gigapixel images (92,160 by 17,280) and I'm not good enough to work out a decent way to do it without using 18gb of RAM.
>>
>>58702337

swap file on an SSD wouldn't be ideal but would work in a pinch for our low ram newfags.
>>
>>58702266
Watch resource monitor under a full load. See how much memory you use. Most people will never hit 16. And you can always buy more later.
>>
>>58702266
You don't even need 4GB RAM for encoding video.
>>
>>58702266
32 GB - no
32 GiB - yes
>>
>>58702266
If you have 16, then are you running out of ram often? if not then why the fuck would you buy more?

I have 32, I never get above 10-12 used.
>>
>>58702266
If you're only encoding then no. If you're editing, sure - use the extra as a RAM disk.
>>
>>58702266
I have 8 GiB total, and have yet to break 3 GiB running Ubuntu w/ Xfce. RAM is a meme, unless you're running VMs, etc.
>>
>>58702266
This is how you should always look at upgrades

How you know when you need to upgrade?
Answer: when you feel performance issues
Is ram the issue?
If yes: download more ram
If no: well dont get more ram
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 219x67px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 219x67px
16GiB was a mistake.
>>
File: ohayou-vaporwave.png (190KB, 421x249px) Image search: [Google]
ohayou-vaporwave.png
190KB, 421x249px
I used to have 12GB (triple channel because Westmere Xeon) but I would push the limit occasionally while working if I had too many services and/or my Windows VM running. Recently upgraded to 24GB. I never really use more than about 16, but my configuration doesn't allow for exactly 16, only 12 or 24.

If I were building a new box right now, I would go with 32GB, but that's because the work I do would sometimes push into 16GB. Also holy shit what is with the web these days and every-third tab wanting 100MB of space? If it weren't for that, I'm sure 16GB would easily be more than enough, but my highest RAM usage comes from switching from browsing/reading to working without closing all my tabs.

If you're asking about video games though (since half of /g/ seems to only care about games?), I haven't the slightest clue. The last one I played was like... Goat Simulator a year or two ago? I can't remember.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.