[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My GTX 780 is now getting destroyed left and right by even budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: gtx-780-8.jpg (165KB, 670x447px) Image search: [Google]
gtx-780-8.jpg
165KB, 670x447px
My GTX 780 is now getting destroyed left and right by even budget cards despite having higher bandwidth and more CUDA cores.
Why is this exactly? Considering usage is less then 3GB of VRAM.
>>
No drivers.

AMD's HD 7800 and up cards still get drivers because up until the middle of last year the same chips were being used in the 370/x cards, the 285 tonga chip in the 380/x, and the 390/x which was just a 290/x with more vram. GCN as a whole hasn't changed all that much since introduction beyond scaling it up and adding additions to the same underlying structure using basically the same CU design.
It's been a wild ride with my 7870 but I have to admit it's an odd situation driven more by AMD's limited resources and very little by their desire to be "the good guys."

I expect having a full product line up of properly new cards once vega drops will more or less mark the point we see the older cards finally lose as much attention.
>>
File: 6dd.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
6dd.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>58700213
>New cards with newer architectures are beating my old card!
yeah, that's what happens
>>
Should have went AMD, the 780ti was better than my 290x at the time at like more than twice the cost, now it completely whoops its ass in most games.
>>
>>58700213
little do people know, nvidia likes to gimp their older cards (even if it's just a generation behind) through drivers in favor of their newer shit.
Of course they have better performance than their AMD counterparts when released, but give it less than half a year before the AMD counterparts end up performing the same if not better.
>>
>>58700493
>780ti was twice the cost
Love this meme.
No one seems to remember the 290x debuted at $700+ and was trading for well over $500 before the 970 came along and fucked the entire market up.

If you guys are gonna point to a time when AMD really pulled off some crazy shit go look at the 4870. When that card launched reviewers and the entire internet went fucking nuts, especially after the joke of the 9800 series and the housfire gtx 200 cards.
>>
>>58700544
Nice meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCsT_dk-1E
http://www.bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/
>>
>>58700544
They don't gimp them you retard, they just drop support. Drivers have never once actively removed performance.

They have, however, been guilty of forcing bullshit features that run like trash on AMD (and yes often their own older and lesser) hardware for no good reason. Namely high tessellation shit like the oceans in crysis 2 and hairworks. Most of the time these stupid features can be turned off though.
>>
>>58700546
What are you talking about? The 8800/9800 series were god-tier, and the 400 series were the literal housefire cards.
>>
>>58700690
I miss my 8800GT :c
>>
>>58700690
He's talking about how the 9800 series was a rebrand of the 8800 series, but I don't know about the 200 series. I had one, and it was hot at all. The 480s though...
>>
>>58700690
8800 series were god tier, 9800 cards were a fucking joke. Same shit for more money, kind of like the r9 300 refresh.

When I say housfire gtx 200 cards, I'm talking about compared to the 4000 series. The 4870 whooped the ass of the 260 for $100 less and nipped at the heals of the 280 while consuming way less power on a much smaller die.
>>
>>58700557
>>58700596

>"end of life" "drop support"

so this doesn't fall under the description of "gimped" because it didn't remove performance?

Where as something like actual gimping would be like AMD disabling async on gcn 1.0 cards five fucking years years later after constantly getting performance upgrades due to optimization drivers.
>>
File: hot.jpg (180KB, 1074x756px) Image search: [Google]
hot.jpg
180KB, 1074x756px
>>58700690
He doesnt like his room toasty on a nice winter day
>>
tfw GTX770 2GB + FX6300.

Should I be a good goy and upgrade now, wait for ryzen and risk falling for the ayymd meme, or just fall back on the wait meme?
>>
>>58701698
yes
>>
>>58700690

had the Sparkle completely passively cooled 8800GT, those were the days
>>
>>58701698
As a dumb idiot who "upgraded" to an 8320 from a 4170 a few months ago I can tell you the fx chipset is a fucking dead end. No noticeable performance increase in pretty much any game. Despite the ~7-10% increase in IPC of Vishera over Bulldozer, matching the clockspeed of the 4170, and even being extra retarded in upgrading my poverty-tier 1333mhz ram to 1866mhz ram with the same latency timings, at best I got maybe 5fps out of CPU bound games and generally a bit better minimum framerates.

Only exception I found was, believe it or not, Metro LL which practically doubled in framerate with significantly better minimum framerates.

Learn from my mistakes friend-o.
>>
>>58701557
Nope, not even then. The pair of async units on first gen GCN chips turned out to be pretty worthless.

It's a lot like with the T&L engine implemented in the geforce 256 waaaaay back in the day. In the rare cases it was supported it made the card perform leagues above competitors when paired with a shitty CPU, but ultimately harmed performance when paired with a CPU that could perform the same functions better.

The async units were a forward-looking initiative that were ultimately rendered worthless when games that could finally make use of them started to appear. Supposedly enabling them can potentially cause instability issues but I've yet to see proof of that.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.