[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can websites recognize your computer as the same one if you switch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: merlin.jpg (16KB, 447x249px) Image search: [Google]
merlin.jpg
16KB, 447x249px
Can websites recognize your computer as the same one if you switch browsers?

I guess there's IP, but what if your IP changes AND you change browsers? Can they see anything similar to a MAC address?
>>
>>58687888
stop ban evading you faggot.
>>
>>58687951
I don't care about 4chan. I care about google, MS and facebook.
>>
user-agent header
>>
>>58687888
>read a wiki about MAC address fgt
>>58687975
>fuck no
>>
>>58687888

IPv6 sees the originating device's Mac address used by default
>>
>>58688362
MAC address can be changed
you could use ip4
>>
>>58688399
What would happen if I generated a new MAC address every session?
>>
File: 1458537534438.jpg (16KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1458537534438.jpg
16KB, 800x600px
>>58687954
>I don't care about 4chan. I care about google, MS and facebook.
>>
>>58687888
Look for panopticlick
>>
>>58690712
This.
>>
>>58688750
It would be obvious you were spoofing it over and over because no one changes device that often, changing every once in a while not so bad. Still maybe other data would maybe make it look like the same machine anyway.
>>
They can still see it's you.
>Browsing habits
>The way you type
etc
>>
File: 1480044488190.png (164KB, 413x352px) Image search: [Google]
1480044488190.png
164KB, 413x352px
>>58688362

WTF? I hate IPv6 now!
>>
>>58687888

One of the things that will screw you hard are the system fonts installed. Unless you use a clean OS install and don't let ANY software install system fonts, you will greatly increase how unique your system shows up at various websites.

After that, what plugins/addons etc. you configure into your browser, combined with the browser version, can then cross-reference the font list.

At that point you are either unique or nearly unique.

Doesn't mean you are unique on the entire Internet (although possible), but the exact website(s) you visit can analyze their traffic and identify your machine. It will stand out as the only one visiting their website (especially in a short time period), or narrow it down to 2 or 3 machines that match.

Then there are other bits of data that can confirm/eliminate duplicates.

So, if you visit a site like 4chan with millions of hits per day, someone could analyze the data and narrow you down to one of 5 or 10 visitors in short order. If they are then determined, they might be able to filter it further.

If you visit a more obscure site that only get 100,000 unique hits per week, chances are your system shows up as unique, no matter if you try to use three different browser installs.
>>
>>58691600
>Fonts
This feels like bait, but nonetheless I'm intrigued.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.