[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name one legit reason that Debian shouldn't be the only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: Debian_logo.png (25KB, 300x395px) Image search: [Google]
Debian_logo.png
25KB, 300x395px
Name one legit reason that Debian shouldn't be the only consumer Linux distribution. Don't give me sperg reasons like "30 day old packages are too old". A real reason.
>>
monopolies are bad mkay
>>
>>58679886
it's a good distro. Runs well on old Thinkpads.
some packages are fresh, some of them are years old.
also:
>anti systemd shills incoming
>>
>>58679886
Don't they reach feature freeze pretty early and stay for long?
>>
>>58679919
There's a freeze every 2 years give or take like 2-3 months.
>>
>>58679886
stable doesn't even have vim 8 yet
let that sink in
>>
>>58680038
Newest memes are not always the best.
>>
>>58680038

I bet you need nothing that doesn't exist on a vim from 2004.
>>
>>58680050
He needs nothing that doesn't exist on nano
>>
-> Debian-Testing <-
>>
>>58679886
how about their bait and switch bullshit where wifi works on the live but once installed you're shit outta luck unless you connect via lan, that's just bullshit
>>
>>58679886
apt sucks at dependency resolution. it's slow and bloated too. any other package manager is better, desu.
>>
>>58680105
You could just download the firmware images while it's live and copy them to the hard disk and then reboot and install them with dpkg -i whatever.deb
>>
>>58679886
Debian is good, using stable is retarded though, the erlang package it has is like two version older than the one testing has, for example. Stretch is the best for desktop use, and I use it on my server too. The reason it shouldn't be the only one is that forcing people not to develop other distros would be unethical.

>>58680050
I do need a lot of shit from erlang 19 that's not in 17, same with many other programs, so kys.

>>58680105
Install a driver dumbass.
>>
>>58680147
>>58680148
>install extra shit that should be automatic
see this is the problem with debian, they have no respect for their users and blame others for their issues
>>
Because Ubuntu has better support and more developers.

I wouldn't use either though because apt is shit.
>>
>>58679886
no drivers on the default link, broken installer on the nonfree edition. If you want to use debian, go with linux mint debian edition since it actually fucking installs.
>>
>>58680147
Why debian is shit in a nutshell right here
>>
>>58679886
they still haven't got thunderbird to replace icedove
>>
>>58680002
And it's been early in odd-numbered years for a while. So every spring there's a new stable release of one deb-based distro or the other.
>>
>>58680162
It's no one's fault that you bought proprietary hardware and want Debian to work with it. Debian tries to be a GNU focused project, they don't actively support proprietary hardware or software on purpose.
>>
>>58680105
They don't explain difference between libre kernel and kernel with proprietary drivers with red capsbold on every iso download page. That's the problem. Toy have to dig through debian site to actually them.
>>
>>58680186
>>58680162
Recent versions of the installer will give you the option to install whatever nonfree blob your hardware needs.
>>
>>58680212
>no one's
no one else's* rather

>>58680197
because you have to run one command? Holy shit you're going to do that anyway when you install whatever dumb shit you want to use on your OS
>>
>>58680198
Yeah what's with that? Iceweasel's naming thing has been resolved but Icedove is still around. Maybe it's because Mozilla stopped developing Thunderbird?
>>
>>58680050
Yeah, nobody uses anything like asynchronous vimscript, the quickfix menu and the gn command
>>
Because Unity is fucking good at letting me get things done and not getting in my way or being slow and unresponsive and screen tearing
>>
>>58680212
yeah, that's why it's shit and shouldn't be mandated as the only distro
>>
>>58679886
1. Monopolies are shit
2. apt is shit
3. Packages are outdated shit
4. systemd is shit
5. Debian is filled with SJW shit
6. No real rolling-release shit
>>
File: iso.png (324KB, 1265x1884px) Image search: [Google]
iso.png
324KB, 1265x1884px
Packages are 30 years old.

I say that as a user of debian stable on my personal desktop computer.

Debian is not "one size fits all" distros. Debian is "we can run on most hardware if you try enough"

It has a non-free policy that doesn't suit people.

It has a release policy that's clunky for people who are not looking for this exact release policy.

>>58680105
>>58680162
It's not debian not having respect for the users, its you having no respect for debian.
Learn to read lol.
Or contact a psychiatrist and inform him of your problem with an attention span of a 2 year old child.

pic related, download page for debian isos for amd64
Clear as fucking day.
>>
>>58680186
>this operating system that is only free software doesn't have the non-free software needed to make some freedom-hating hardware work
Gee really
>>
>>58680148

Who the fuck told you in the OP to use stable?
>>
>>58679886
Ancient packages
fixed release
It isn't flashy or cool
Personally I've found that debian often won't load the appropriate modules for my hardware until I configure things myself. A consumer distro needs to prioritize that stuff. Proprietary graphics drivers ootb would be good too.

Ubuntu would be the ideal consumer distro if it wasn't run by canonical, and if they had a stable rolling release instead of the current model.
>>
The whole point of free as in freedom software is that people have to have the right to choose what they put on their computer
>>
Name one legit reason that Gentoo shouldn't be the only consumer Linux distribution. Don't give me sperg reasons like "it takes 30 hours to compile the kernel". A real reason.
>>
>>58679886
I use it and I like it
>>
>>58680334
Debian does offer that. I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at or not.

Basically you have the option to install proprietary software but Debian devs wont endorse proprietary software and try to discourage its use by default.
>>
People are so autistic that can't possibly understand the scale of Debian. It not just the fucking stable distribution, if you run Unstable/Sid you can be extremely bleeding edge if only you are not a sperg and are careful (and besides, any other distro will be breaking every month if it is bleeding edge anyway). And it's not just a FOSS meme, it has such an extremely large community, every single shit from non-free that can possibly exist on Linux does exist on Debian, and in most cases even as a tailor-made .deb for it.

This is not just a distro. This is a fucking conglomerate of a distro.
>>
>>58680174
so why do they still copy debian testings repo and just slap unity onto it and claim that they've developed it ?
>>
>>58680311
He said people shouldn't care about the outdated packages, which implies debian stable.
>>
>>58680379
You should be asking yourself why debian copies Ubuntu.
>>
>>58680376

And Testing is extremely stable compared to what people think. Testing on Debian IS WAY MORE STABLE THAN THE MAJORITY OF OTHER DISTRIBUTIONS ON THEIR "STABLE" RELEASE. Let that sink in. This is not just a stable distro on "stable", it's FUCKING stable.
>>
>>58679886
The name of the distro (Debra + Ian) is autistic.
>>
Is there any proprietary hardware that works well with Debian's drivers? I have an old Dell PC that I'd like to install it on.
>>
>>58680388

I had in mind the spergs that may find even Testing "outdated".
>>
File: GuixSD-V.png (7KB, 159x141px) Image search: [Google]
GuixSD-V.png
7KB, 159x141px
>>58679886
I used to be you.
And then they included Systemd and things started to break.
And then Systemd grew out of hand and ruined anything, simply using Systemdebian became a struggle.
And one day, an update byorked my machine and I decided that I'd had enough.
I dove headfirst into GuixSD and realized what a fool I'd been.
I once again have a computer where everything just works.
Debian indeed used to be the best there was and their fall from grace saddens me.
But it's time to move on OP.
>>
>>58680423

That's not a fucking exaggeration at all.
>>
>>58679886
Here's a good fucking reason.

Anything in these useless fucking folders will fuss at you if you disable the corresponding systemd script that they conflict with.

This is the only thing I dislike about Debian. The rest is ok... but this hasn't been fun dealing with my server lately and for the life of me, I have no idea why they even exist when systemd is there.

I guess we have to cater to all of you faggots if we're all to get along, got to have init scripts and systemd running at the same time... for some reason. They also stay there after the deletion of the app they represent.

I uninstalled wicd yesterday in favor of network-manager and wicd's scripts are still there, still fussing at me for disabling wicd's systemd service.

Why? Because Debian.
>>
>>58679886
Debian just works for me, but it's a bit boring when you're at home unemployed, so /g/ favors distros that make everything difficult.

Also
>systemd
>>
>>58680408
Graphics cards and certain wifi chipsets may not work or will require firmware images. Not really a big deal you just have to know about that ahead of time and download them if you need them.
>>
>>58680456
apt autoremove
>>
>using a distro built on egalitarian principles, run by a series of politburos
Install Gentoo
>>
pacman > apt
>>
>>58680495
Yeah that doesn't do anything. The programs get removed but the scripts still hangout in the init folders.
>>
>>58680397
Software in the Testing branch goes through 2 years of testing in the unstable branch before it's accepted. I think Fedora has 6 month releases in comparison. So yeah Testing can be pretty stable. There shouldn't be any huge breaking bugs at least.
>>
>>58680458

They should stop being autistic and run unstable then. Or testing if they are more stable. Or even experimental packages.
>>
>>58680456
>I uninstalled wicd yesterday in favor of network-manager and wicd's scripts are still there, still fussing at me for disabling wicd's systemd service.
Have you tried purging?

The following command will show you uninstalled packages with leftover configuration

aptitude search ~c

Proceed with caution when purging old configuration because you may want to keep it especially if you have customised it

Debian is the best
>>
>>58680162
I hope you are aware that Debian has an iso with all of the wifi firmware built in. This has been the case for the past 6 years, you are simply ignorant.
>>
>>58679886
ArchLinux
>>
>>58681012
REEEEEEEEE bring back i686 support REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>tfw teacher says "once you familiarize yourself with debian, you should install arch"
>>
why are there so many gnu debian shills on this board?

you know you aren't getting paid for making all this publicity, right?
>>
File: 1471007438949.jpg (62KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1471007438949.jpg
62KB, 690x460px
>>58680162
>installing propitiatory firmware should be automatic
No, people shouldn't be stupid enough to use abysmal chipsets which require proprietary firmware to function. This is only a problem because the companies don't release the source, and because people keep on buying and supporting them.
>>
White male here.

The only thing I kind of dislike from debian is apt. It tends to break if you treat it rough. Other than that it's a very covenient and widespread distro, but I'd rather go with Ubuntu at that point honestly.

I'm a white male btw
>>
>>58680294
the issue is, shit works on the live so you think you're good then after the install it doesn't work out of the fucking blue
>>
>>58681350
As a linux user of 10 years now. I think your being a fucking child. Who knows their hardware better than the hardware manufacturer. Let them make drivers. I would use a closed source driver over some cobbled together community driver.
>>
>>58682302
A lot of the drivers in the kernel were written by the hardware manufacturer.
>>
Doesn't have GCC 6 yet.
>>
>>58682366
testing/sid has it
>>
>>58682302
>some cobbled together community
Such drivers are only "cobbled' because the developers don't have access to the source code.
>Who knows their hardware better than the hardware manufacturer
It seems you don't understand the value of open source: people can contribute. And in fact, even the manufacturers can (and do, e.g. Samsung, Intel) contribute. In comparison, the "manufacturer", has an actual cobbled driver made for one or two platforms, and is never updated again. This is common with older hardware, in which open source drivers have at such point overtaken the proprietary in development.
>I would use a closed source driver
Yes, because as we all know, Linux driver support is imperative to many a company - not! I don't care how long you've used Linux for, just please stop with your goddamn spew.
>>
>>58682302
>As a linux user of 10 years now.

You would think that after 10 years of using something that you'd at least know something about it.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.