[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it safe to buy 3TB HDD now? I remember there was a time when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1450016077313.png (315KB, 522x511px) Image search: [Google]
1450016077313.png
315KB, 522x511px
Is it safe to buy 3TB HDD now? I remember there was a time when anything over 1TB wasn't recommended.
>>
>>58678958
I recently bought x2 4tb WD Black Edition drives...they're loud as fuck.
I NEED that amount of storage so I have to deal with it...but I really wouldn't recommend going above 2tb based on how loud they can get
>>
File: dontsexualizetheloli.png (414KB, 622x720px) Image search: [Google]
dontsexualizetheloli.png
414KB, 622x720px
i bought a 4tb wd purple last year and it already has issues with damaged sectors and whatnot.

meanwhile, i've had 4x2tb wd greens on my nas with head parking disabled and they have 0 issues. been using them for more than 2 years

bottomline, anything over 2tb is still unreliable as fuck in my experience. my 2tb wd black is 5 years old or so and it has 0 issues too. i had a shitty 1tb from seagate that lasted me more than 7 years without any issues as well, which i swapped for the 4tb wd purple
>>
The last HDDs I bought were a pair of 3TB Seagate Constellation, actually.

They are still doing great even though they're from 2013.
>>
>>58678958
yea. you really only have to avoid the 1.5TB drives. Only main problem 3TB had during release was the file formatting but motherboards handle that well.
>>
>>58678958
HGST brans r gud.

Your memory is due to that flood defect hard drives sold by seagate/wd, I believe it was 2010 or something.
>>
Not sure why anybody would store more than 1TB of data in one place. My advice is put your eggs in separate baskets.
Recently bought this HGST
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4QESVQ/
>>
rememeber:

1bit loss per gigabyte per month, just out of cosmic radiation.
>>
>>58679696
the cosmic radiation must be shitty where you live
>>
>>58679669
Because I have space for 2 x 3.5" HDD and 2 x SDDs in my miniITX case.
>>
Seagate's 3 TB drives have a high failure rate.
Get 2 or 4 TB instead.

>>58679425
Sample size: 1.
Why would you even have only one and not at least mirror it?
>>
File: consider the following kirino.png (246KB, 737x583px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following kirino.png
246KB, 737x583px
I own ten 3TB drives. They're in a ZFS array, they've all been running for over a year with no hiccups. It has about 8.5TB on it and scrubs clean every week, no errors. The drives are a mix of brands. Three WD blues, three Toshibas, hell, one is one of those Seagates that died at such alarming rates in the Backblaze study.

Buy the cheapest drives you can. They'll probably be fine. Trust the security of your data to redundancy and backups, not to which drive-maker you guess is the most reliable.
>>
>>58678958
i only use 1TB externals (2.5 inchers)
>>
>>58680782
the wd purple is in my desktop, not the nas
>>
>>58681031
Aren't the WD Purples for constant sequential data instead of random like an OS? That would kind of explain. A WD Blue or Black might have better suited your workload.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.