[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These people claim to have invented a chip that translates w

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: fsrrg.jpg (19KB, 620x398px) Image search: [Google]
fsrrg.jpg
19KB, 620x398px
These people claim to have invented a chip that translates windows software into linux software.

I don't believe this bullshit for a second. There is no way to do such thing, unless they bridge the calls to windows kernel/libraries to linux counterparts, like wine does.

Am i wrong? What does /g/ think about that?

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD6FlyUnXTQ

[NOT A SHILL]
>>
They claim it will be done with an fpga. If there was anything to this Valve would have used it for steam machines. Probably just some convoluted implementation of wine. I have no idea what the purpose of an fpga would be in a setup like this.
>>
fuck off shill
>>
>>58661153
I like the case design, and the concept is basically "Steam OS on custom hardware: pasta version".
>>
>>58661153
So is this another "Spectrocable"-tier thing?
>>
>>58661153
Unless there's something I'm fundamentally unaware of here, this is bullshit. The problem is not and never has been executing code intended for Windows, that's child's play (comparatively). The problem is providing high quality re-implementations of the million and one SDKs that Windows applications expect and may do unforeseen things with. This is why DX11 on WINE has taken so long, because you need to reimplement the entire API so it behaves in every minute detail the same as real DX11. I don't see what you can do with an FPGA that's going to get around that inevitability.
>>
>>58661153
They claim that they've programmed an FPGA so that basically functions as a wine ASIC. Even though they said that they've tested the hardware and are trying to find a manufacturer, there's no demonstration of the thing or even a simple photo, which is quote suspicious if you ask me
>>
>>58661634
>a wine ASIC
So they've removed the speed penalty, but not the bit where every second application doesn't run? Way to miss the point.
Maybe if people spent less time creating crap like this and SteamOS and more time just contributing to the WINE project we might have consistently usable Windows -> Linux translation.
>>
It is a scam.
>>
>>58661153
what if it just runs windows applications inside a virtual machine and keep it hidden from the user...

note that they do not talk about performance just about running windows executables, this should be enough to let you know that it is a ruse.
>>
>>58661153
>I don't believe this bullshit for a second.
Anyone remembers to Ultimate Compression scrip guy?
>>
>>58661650
Yeah I thought about that but if speed was the problem, it would be cheaper to just use a better CPU instead of a custom made motherboard and an FPGA.

My guess is that they will install wine and pretend their magical chip is doing the work.
>>
They even claim they will be developing a pci version of the fpga to use in desktops. This whole thing is bs, they are just trying to get hype so they can get lots of cash on kickstarter. FFS they are going to offer two different sized units depending on internals. That is going to cost so much money vs using a single case for both.
>>
>>58661650
>So they've removed the speed penalty, but not the bit where every second application doesn't run?

They just say that they have an FPGA wich enables them to run windows programs so it's not mecessarily a wine chip. Perhaps they have a new accelerated wine alternative. Still, this is probably a scam since they havem't eve n demonstrated the thing even once.
>>
>>58661476
Oh God, I had forgotten all about that shit, many keks were had.
>>
>>58662400
For the reasons I stated here:
>>58661631
That's bullshit. They have not redone two decades of development on WINE (and then some) in some hardware language for some no name project which a trailer that looks like My First Blender exercise.
>>
> "Our mainboard uses a FPGA chip that will have the revolutionary feature of executing software “.exe” on NovOS. In the souce code of our OS there are the codes to interface the chip with any .exe program downloaded on the console allowing its execution, this feature will make NovOS compatible with all kind of Windows programs opening new ways into a new future for Linux."

So he wrote an FPGA that reads and executes .exe files?

In other words, it's an FPGA implementation of the Intel CPU architecture, in a way that's faster than what Intel's engineers implemented directly in silicon.

And all of that was implemented by two guys?

And look at this sentence:

> "In the souce code of our OS there are the codes to interface the chip with any .exe program"

That one sentence is the core technical concept of the whole project. But, spelling errors aside, it makes no sense. WTF does it mean to "interface" an FPGA chip to a ".exe program"? Normal engineers don't talk like that.
>>
File: hacking.gif (890KB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
hacking.gif
890KB, 260x146px
>>58662809

> "interface" an FPGA chip to a ".exe program"?

MOST
ACCURATE
HACKING
SCENE
EVER
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.