[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ what's a good, stable linux distro with long term support

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1475407153798.jpg (15KB, 410x337px) Image search: [Google]
1475407153798.jpg
15KB, 410x337px
/g/ what's a good, stable linux distro with long term support to put on a laptop thats mainly going to be used for university work - mainly programming?
>>
>>58658727
gentoo
>>
openSUSE is the only linux distro with thumbnail preview in the Firefox file picker. openSUSE is the best linux distro.
>>
probably debian (I hate debian but it seems to be popular enough)
gentoo is a good option to but installing it is a pain
I used Arch for a while and I liked it, I don't recall it giving me trouble, but I wasn't the kind to update often (about once every 2 weeks), I've heard that it breaks with some updates though, so I wouldn't say it's very stable
>>
Just install Ubuntu 16.04 with your DE of choice and call it a day.
>>
>>58658794
Got thumbnails in FF and Nemo in linux mint cinnamon home boy.

Also best "just workz" lts distro
>>
>>58658727
>Newbie will ignore Ubuntu advice for a year struggling even if he makes it that far, only to end up comfy on Ubuntu.
>>
>>58659430
literally this

>>58659549
literally this
>>
>>58658727

If you are not installing a server, then use Ubuntu.

It would make sense to choose the most popular OS if you want the best user experience and maintenance.

For real work, just make a separate partition or rent a server.
>>
>>58658727
If you don't want to have to fuck around, install CentOS. v7 if you want systemd, v6 for initrc.
Not bleeding edge but rock solid and good for development. (I work in v6 full time as a developer)
>>
>>58658727
Ubuntu 16.04 is the only valid answer. You can install whatever desktop you want if you dislike unity.
I don't use it anymore but it has the best balance of stability and ease of use.
>>
File: 1425850181048.jpg (36KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1425850181048.jpg
36KB, 500x348px
>>58658727
Pick Ubuntu, Mint, or something Debian based because that's what everyone else does. If you don't know what you're doing, then you want to follow the herd, in this case, for a few reasons:

1) You will have an easier time googling solutions to whatever problem you have, because someone else is more likely to have experienced the same thing compared to what you'd have to do if you had a problem on some obscure distro.

2) Most linux software available for download as a package from the internet uses the .deb format. So, you can just use the package manager that your system is built on instead of having to compile from source or install another package manager.

3) These particular distributions assume that you are a normal person with normal sensibilities, so they have a bunch of convenient features pre-installed.

4) These particular distributions are supported by large companies, so they are better tested and will likely be supported for a long time.

Unless you have some compelling reason to use an extremely customizable linux (some weird monitor setup, maybe), then I don't see why you'd use one. They are just more hassle than they are worth.
>>
File: mate,mate.png (30KB, 602x501px) Image search: [Google]
mate,mate.png
30KB, 602x501px
>>58658727
ubuntu mate 16.04
>gnome3: bloat
>unity: ugly bloat
>kde: buggy bloat
>>
Mint or Ubuntu
New Mint Cinnamon is gorgeous
>>
>>58661624
but mint no longer comes with all the codecs. fuck it doesn't even have VLC anymore.
>>
>>58660936
This. Best ever.
>>
>>58660374

This desu

Centos is comfy without the risks of shit breaking like in fedora
>>
Ubuntu
>>
>>58658727
I used xubuntu as my first distro, its how I got into linux and learned about stuff. I riced it and had a lot of fun + learned a few things along the way. Google is your friendo.
>>
>>58662709
not for people who appreciate the debian repositories though
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.