[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So.... This is my new obsession: The raspberry pi series of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: nintendo-cartridge-raspberry-pi.jpg (99KB, 1300x600px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-cartridge-raspberry-pi.jpg
99KB, 1300x600px
So.... This is my new obsession:
The raspberry pi series of computers.
I want to build pic related with the addition of a tiny 802.11n wifi usb dongle to occupy the inner usb port. and then epoxy seal the hardware in place while leaving a bubbled space so that the sd card can still be removed/replaced. But the rest of it will be immune to dammage/ravages of time, etc.

I want to be able to dual boot retropie and also raspbian pixel or ubuntu mate (whichever desktop os is best all around for doing everything in general)

I have scoured the raspberrypi.org forums and found nothing useful or helpful.
I have googled extensively but all i keep finding is dual boots for retropie and different flavors of fuckin kodi. Or some un useable un recogniseable non user friendly type of os thst seems to have very little function Or ability.
Please help.
>>
>>58645284
Inb4 install gentoo
I will not be installing gentoo
>>
Look nice =)
>>
I would never say that looks good.

What looks good is a mini console. Not a mini cartridge. It doesn't make sense to connect gamepads to a cartridge. That's not how it works you dolt.
>>
>>58645284
install gentoo
>>
>>58645748
As expected. 4 chan is fucking useless.
Inwas going to build a cool thing. But now you guys have just pissed me off. Fuck you.
>>
>>58646082
Good. There's thousands of people doing this "let's try to put a raspberry on a camel's butthole", try being more clever about it next time.
>>
>>58646082
What are you fucking 12? What do you even need us for? Just partition the drives properly and you should be able to duel boot fine with anything.
>>
File: 6b1.jpg (84KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
6b1.jpg
84KB, 680x680px
>>58645284
the zero is too under powered just get a 3 if your going to do gaming because things like the neo geo will set everything on fire if you use it on a zero. also make sure to go to the optional installs part of retro pi and install kodi
>>
>>58646104
Well if i had a 3d fucking printer which i dont and i cant afford.
Then i would be making my own clever retro case.
I have seen several offerings of retrostyle cases.
They all look like crap.
Royal god damned crap.
Like a fucking 3rd grader tried to half heartedly carve an nes case by hand out of overly wet clay kind of crap.
If i find out that there is some 3d printer shape editing software out there for the pi then i will likely use it to model my own case that wont look like crap because i will be sure to mske sure thst sll the proportions are just right before i print the fucky thing.
>>
>>58646279
Fucking read the original post and comprehend it next time please.
I am trying to find a way to dual book retropie and raspbian. I am stripping out every emulator that will either overtax or just not run on the Raspberry pi zero.
I may go ahead and throw kodi on it also so that i can do media streaming with it. But that was not in the original plan. Good point tho.
>>
>>58645284
>i want to make a custom machine
>why can't i find software for it that is preconfigured to do exactly what i want
???

the images available for it are generic for a reason, you're meant to modify them to suit whatever you're trying to make
>>
Please don't molest retro hardware and fill it with garbage.
Thanks,
Your friend,
/vr/
>>
>>58646391
Bitch, i do what i want.
>>
>>58645284
I want to ask you: for what purpose?

What will you do with this device? Play emulated games on it?

Why? You can already play your games on your computer, console, laptop, phone, or tablet. Play them in a manner superior to what you can do with this little cart you're thinking of making.

What do you practically plan to do with it? What do you envision in your head? Do you think you will take it somewhere and you and your friends will all sit around and play it? That won't happen. Not in the way you think it will. You'll have to connect it to some awful television with a terrible picture and you will try to play the games but they will look like shit and there will be input lag. And they will lose interest after a very short time period, especially since anyone who is nerdy enough to appreciate a thing like this has already played many of the same games on their own hardware.

So that leaves it as a "fun" exercise. Better things to do with your time, I say. If you're dedicated to playing old games you are better off to get one real system, a flash cart for that system, and a CRT to connect it to. At least then you'll be able to enjoy playing it by yourself.
>>
>>58646297
There are services which can 3D print for you locally, or send it to you via mail. You just have to supply them with the model and size.
>>
>>58645363
>Inb4 install gentoo
>I will not be installing gentoo

well there's just no helping some people. why even come here for advice
>>
>>58646272

>dual boot two distributions of linux
Or you know, just install what you want on one, configure it properly and call it a day.
>>
>>58646495
To answer your question:
It would be a small present for my brothers and for my best friend. Therebis a market for this stuff and i have seen that these things are in demand with the idea i have.
Im not looking to sell them unless someone comissions me to do so.

But i digress; it is going to be a cool little interesing nicknack present that does a cool thing for my brothers and a couple friends. They share my interest in small electronics, my brothers especially.
They will most assuredly appreciate and enjoy this. And it is the kind of thing they can experiment around with and do other fun cool things with.
>>
>>58645284
The pi 3 has wifi built-in
>>
>>58646826
Well thats why i have the pi 3 coming to me. So i can experiment with it and figure out how to do what i want to do.
The pi zero cartridges will be the gifts that i build from what i end up learning.
>>
File: 20170125_144119.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_144119.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
>>58645284
NES cartridges are cool IMHO, so much space on the inside
Pic related is my USB HDD fitted inside one of these cartridges (I had a spare one of Hunt for Red October) so I thought to give it a try
IIRC I posted it on /g/ about one year ago, but I might be wrong
>>
File: gunfu.jpg (71KB, 820x614px) Image search: [Google]
gunfu.jpg
71KB, 820x614px
>>58646899
>>58646836
>>58646297
>>58646082
>>58645284

all you need is berryboot. it will allow you to choose which OS on boot.

but you type like reddit, and I don't like reddit.
>>
File: 20170125_145124.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_145124.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
>>58647388
This is the inside, you could also fit an SSD instead.
The pins are just for aesthetics, but I kept the ROM board so if I want I could easily rewire the pins to the ROM board and get it running again
>>
I have a bart vs. the world cartridge laying around. I should probably do something like this.
>>
>>58647462
>not setting up a hot plug system based on the cartridge size
your wasting time lad
>>
>>58646331

I'd rather just call you a retard for a cliche overused gimmick bag that holds no value here. Raspberry pi? A cool device. What you are doing with it? Like a kid playing with legos. Everyone has done it before. You're not special. Your thread reflects your desire for attention.
>>
>>58647876
Well i was asking for help but yknow what?
You win.
Fuck it.
I quit.
>>
Berryboot
>>
File: 1.gif (854KB, 268x250px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
854KB, 268x250px
>>58648727
Good.
>>
>>58645284
>epoxy sealing capacitors and a hot SoC
Great idea!
>>
>>58646836
>But i digress; it is going to be a cool little interesing nicknack present that does a cool thing for my brothers and a couple friends.

I like the idea of using an old NES cartridge as an enclosure, but why aim for creating a retro game emulator? There are tons of devices that does that much better than the rPi...

Why not use the GPIO ports on the rPi and think of some kind of use-case that would be cool?
Fit the cartridge with a 2x20 LCD screen that uses i2c, add some buttons, a battery and maybe even a speaker?
You can after all add almost anything you want with the GPIO ports.
>>
>>58647441
>not fnx
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.