[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just graduated with a bachelors in CS and holy FUCKING shit,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1467195930061.jpg (182KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
1467195930061.jpg
182KB, 1131x707px
I just graduated with a bachelors in CS and holy FUCKING shit, was it a waste of my time.

Other than introducing basic programming concepts, your searches, sorts, and data structures, and problem solving skills, everything was taught in the most hands off, theoretical way possible and when we actually DID tip toe into the realm of practicality, it was with deprecated as FUCK versions of languages.

I feel like I have a lot of time to make up for. Still in my early twenties and currently have a job with someone who's impressed to high heaven just for showing him how I can make a cube in unity fly across the screen. Where should I go to learn "intermediate" programming concepts? Practical lessons in things like a program's relationship with the OS and other programs, networking, modern web development, and server architecture?
>>
>>58628422
shut your fucking mouth faggot
>>
>>58628601
this
>>
>>58628601
He's clearly a normalfag
/thread
>>
>>58628422
data structures, algorithms, and basic programming classes should only be your breadth classes. what the fuck did you do in your degree
>>
>>58628422
>Practical lessons in things like a program's relationship with the OS and other programs, networking, modern web development
Jesus christ it sounds like you went to a shitty program.

Mine covers all of that. Shitty networking teacher desu, but web dev, OS stuff, and compilers are all covered in mind with practical group projects. Web dev is the only optional thing in that list.

Not sure exactly what you want from "server architecture". Are you talking about web development or more IT kinds of stuff?
>>
>>58628422
>I just graduated with a bachelors in CS and holy FUCKING shit, was it a waste of my time.
You've only just worked this out?
Usually most of the smarter guys only spend one year in there. Now you've got to find something to do to pay off your student loan.
>>
What should I look for in a good program? More interested in meme enganeering, interested in embedded systems and/or manufacturing automation.
>>
>>58628422
Welcome to the club. Now you can get a job and actaully learn things
>>
>>58628937
Good programs have several ways to get into large programming projects individually or in teams. They usually only require one project, but more often than not the end result in these classes are more useful for non academic pursuits. Obviously work on personal projects too though.
>>
File: 1364220327175.png (7KB, 185x200px) Image search: [Google]
1364220327175.png
7KB, 185x200px
>>58628422
Let the NEET life start my brother
>>
>>58628422
>Where should I go to learn "intermediate" programming concepts?
Search for yourself, there are tons of info and even online courses
>Practical lessons in things like a program's relationship with the OS and other programs

There are several specialized books on that

>networking, modern web development, and server architecture?
what, you gotta have to be fucking kidding me

Just be glad that you have your degree, that you know more about programming than 95% of the pajeets and non pajeets out there and that you just got the basic skills to be a decent professional

You thought that a degree would give you all that you wanted? newsflash, you could not be more wrong. You need to keep updating yourself on your topics of choice, just like any decent MD does.

TL; DR: You got a degree and you thought that was it? Wrong motherfucker! get you ass moving and learn some more
>>
>>58628422
CS is mostly theoretical. It's not a programming degree as such, it's a maths-and-methods-behind-designing-software degree.

> deprecated as FUCK versions of languages
Sure, and probably shitty languages. Go learn something newer on your own if you didn't already do that.

> Where should I go to learn "intermediate" programming concepts? Practical lessons in things like a program's relationship with the OS and other programs, networking, [...] and server architecture?
Xorg/Linux has docs, read them. It's almost the model of a modern OS stack/kernel overall, besides of course being THE modern OS stack/kernel of our time.

> modern web development
Is crazy as shit.

HTML has kinda settled down, but now we got JS and then tons of server-side (and language specific) things.

You could just do a mid-sized pet project running on some bigger programming language stack that would run on Heroku or something.
>>
>>58628422
I went in to chemistry and I can code better and know more than my friends that do CS, just follow your interests, don't let people with hungry wallets tell you what you need to do, just start googling what you want to do and ignore the bullcrap, persistence finds something basic which you can stumble onto and develop from there, i randomly stumbled onto logic gates in Minecraft, then went onto learn how processors worked, learnt Java (piece of crap), then C++, started hacking my devices to execute custom ROMs and personalise, now I'm programming pretty much all the time related to computational chemistry, niche

I want to start making games so opengl is on the plate for me to learn next as opposed to the SDL I'm using atm,

I'm still a noob though, a huge one
>>
>>58628422
You don't go to university to learn stuff you fucking idiot. You go to get the piece of paper at the end.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.