[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I learn to get started in the world of video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: game-dev.png (98KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
game-dev.png
98KB, 500x500px
What should I learn to get started in the world of video game development?
>>
>>58624276
C++
>>
>>58624327
This

After that you just need to decide on what engine to use. Unless you're a masochist and want to make your own.
>>
>>58624363
>>58624327
Only c++? do you say that all games are written in c++?
>>
If you want to use an engine, it doesn't really matter because most use their own scripts. Still, unity uses C# last I heard, so that would be a safe bet and you would be able to do other stuff than just game development with it.
>>
>>58624418
why do you ask where to get started with it if the starting point doesnt sound like enough to you? (hint: it's enough)
>>
>>58624435
also, I should say, if you don't want to use an engine, learn how to properly load a bullet into the chamber of a handgun because it will be a living nightmare(unless you have a skilled dev team)
>>
File: 1467721703978.jpg (95KB, 600x383px) Image search: [Google]
1467721703978.jpg
95KB, 600x383px
>>58624276
I am trying to learn c# right now for unity work.

Sadly I am stuck at this damn simple thing and cant wrap my head around it.

It is a unity question and just cant seem to find answers.
>>
>>58624435
this.
Unity and C# is maybe the best way to start game development in this year.

>>58624461
Did you ask here : http://answerjavascript:;s.unity3d.com/ ?
The community is rather reactive.
>>
>>58624508
wtf happens to my url ?
http://answers.unity3d.com/
>>
>>58624435
Don't use unity, op. Use unreal engine instead. Or godot if you want a minimal engine. Both are free and perfect for a rookie dev.
>>
File: 1402029645189.png (333KB, 432x713px) Image search: [Google]
1402029645189.png
333KB, 432x713px
>>58624276

First, you'll need to get really good at using a hammer, a flathead screwdriver, and a gravis gamepad.
>>
>>58624276
A paying side job
>>
Vertex and Fragment shaders, OOP (C++ is the most common language of the field), 3D modeling, UV unwrapping, Texturing, know your basic datastructures and algorithms

Read and understand all the articles of http://gafferongames.com/

If you just want to use an already existing engine then basic programming skills should be enough (although having an idea about how stuff works behind the scene would make your job much easier), concentrate on getting good at assets creation.
>>
File: 1467721043438.jpg (109KB, 640x630px) Image search: [Google]
1467721043438.jpg
109KB, 640x630px
>>58624508
>>58624518
It isnt there because it is so simple it is just a wierd brain block for me.

Update is called every frame
interval times vary (not sure does it mean it updates every frame of the game like fps?)

FixedUpdate is called every physics step
update intervals are cosistent and is used for regular updates (how are updates consistent, does it mean it updates every time a characters moves, and if so how is that consistent?)

see I know the answers are simple but it is like I cant get past it and no one answers it because it is too damn simple
>>
>>58624664
I don't know anything about unity but you just asked and everyone stopped replying so I'm bumping hoping someone will help you this time. Good luck anon, don't give up
>>
>>58624664
Update is called every time new frame is drawn, the delay between each call doesn't have to be consistent, eg.

- Update is called
- 0.020s elapses
- Update is called
- 0.010s elapses
- Update is called
- 0.015s elapses

FixedUpdate is guaranteed to have the same delay between each call, eg.

- FixedUpdate is called
- 0.016s elapses
- FixedUpdate is called
- 0.016s elapses
- FixedUpdate is called
- 0.016s elapses
>>
>>58624276
Assembly C maybe C++

Or java if your a faget
>>
>>58624276

that you will fail
>>
>>58624276
C# and Unity
>>
>>58624276
how to tie a noose
>>
>>58624276
depends on what you wanna do. from scratch you can learn c/c++ with opengl. or you can use unreal engine for example, you can also write your own c++ code in there if necessary. unreal is quite easy to use and has a ton of stuff build in.
>>
>>58624276
Don't. Only pain and suffering lie ahead.

Source: developer for 10+ years.
>>
>>58624276
Unity/C# is what 90% indie devs are using today.
I can tell you for a fact only a small amount use Unreal(3 people from /agdg/), or Godot.
>>
>>>/v/
Video Games are for man children, there is no future in Video Games.
>>
File: 1467721809575.jpg (47KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
1467721809575.jpg
47KB, 600x396px
>>58625581
what does it mean by frame is drawn? I know this is a dumb question it is just blocking me. Also fixed update delay what triggers the tick of it? Like movement what?

Thanks for this advice dude
>>
>>58624276
Learn C for a month then move on to C++

Then you can learn the baby toys engines of your choice if you feel it. But if you start by using an engine you'll be slaves to them until the rest of your days and in 10 years you'll be making shit. Or maybe you'll be good but then you'll see how limited you are and switching to C/C++ at this point won't be easy, and probably a bit late.
Or maybe we'll have quantum computer in 10 years so it won't matter if you're writing shit, at least for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3EtYb8d1o
>>
>>58624276
How to tie a noose
>>
>>58624539
My dad is a video game, can confirm.
>>
>>58629169
does he render better when you him plug an old crt tv ?
>>
>>58624276
there are lots of courses on edx on learning game design and programming using "x" language
>>
>>58624276
Python

All CG related software have provisions for you to run your own python script. You will be miles ahead of your peers if you're competent at python on day 1.
>>
Hello,

I'm actually in "The world of video game development"

And I'll be a 100% honest with you. The industry sucks. You get paid shit to work 40 hours a week. During crunchtime you do so much overtime you only see your wife when she's already asleep; you have to work for maybe 60 hours.

Things you need to learn;
- COMMUNICATION. Seriously, even if you are an amazing artist/designers/programmer you are only valuable when you communicate on a decent level, they'd pick a mediocre programmer with a passion and communicationskills over any neckbeard with amazing programmingskills.

- If you want to be a programmer I'd have to say; it depends on the engine they use. C++ is very common but when the company you apply to uses Unity you have to program in C#. If you have thorough knowledge of C++ it's just a matter of changing the syntax when switching to another language. The first one or two months you work at a company you'll learn more than 4 years in college/uni.
>>
>>58631948

- Same goes for artists, you might be amazing in Maya but if they company uses 3DS Max or Blender you have to adapt. But if you are skilled in a language/program you can adapt easily to the standards of the company.

- Flexibility; like I said, you have to adapt and communicate, work long hours and sometimes have to give up your weekend, we want you to be flexible both with your way of working as your way of thinking. You might work on a project for a year and they can throw it all in the bin. You need to adapt constantly.

- Portfolio > Papers. You might have studied at MIT but without a proper portfolio you are nothing. Make you portfolio easy to navigate through and only show your best work. Recruiters want to look at your portfolio for less than five minutes and understand what kind of person you are and what kind of work you can deliver.

- Lobbying/Networking > Applying for jobs.
If a company is looking for people they get like 200 applications. But if you know someone from within you might be on top of those. Make friends and go to events to talk with people. It's really hard to enter a company as an outsider. You need to sell yourself.

So in the end. Game Development is a bitch. Be ready.
>>
>>58624276
>>>/vg/agdg
>>
You will enter a world of pain. You will be surrounded by people you loathe.

Be. Ready.

Playing games if fun. Developing games is a hell.

Also; I'm only in the industry for about 3 years now. I'm 25 years old and the more I develop, the further I drift away from God's Grace.

There are amazing moments but they are overshadowed by stress and workload.

80% of all Game Companies fail within 2 years. There is a reason for that.
>>
>>58624276
I'd recommend working with an engine if you want to get up and running quickly. Godot engine is a free project that's active, but you'd have to learn GDScript, at least until C# is integrated.
>>
>>58631980
Also:
Be ready for unemployment. I have some acquaintances who graduated cum laude but are unemployed for two to three years now because they can't find jobs.
>>
>>58628968
Update is called by the main game loop.
Basically, this loop will call the update function of each active game object and then push all the information needed to draw the 3D world (vertex, triangles, textures... ) to the GPU so it render the frame on the screen. By measuring the time taken to generate the frame (update and render), you can obtain the FPS of your game.
The Fixed Update is managed by an other loop, parallel to the game loop. It is called at fixed interval if it can. Physics parameters can be adjusted in Unity to modify the interval if needed.
>>
>>58631980
>>58632028
>not going indie
>>
>>58624276
ways to end your life
>>
File: 1467719673090.jpg (93KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1467719673090.jpg
93KB, 500x500px
>>58632183
So there is always these loops in the background going, and they call out to the update about whats in the world. Amazing I understand that part now dude thank you so much!

Fixed update I still am not wrapping my head around, like if it is updated for physics objects at fixed intervals. So basically it is just calling out to physics objects like update does to its objects? Because I had this whole thing in my mind like it updated when the physics object moved or did something.

Want to really thank you for all this help and sorry I keep asking more questions dude, but this is helping a lot.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.