[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the worst thing to configure on Linux? >audio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: 1473093236853.jpg (102KB, 663x719px) Image search: [Google]
1473093236853.jpg
102KB, 663x719px
What's the worst thing to configure on Linux?

>audio
If audio doesn't work out of the box you're fucked. Simple as that.

>fonts
Annoying at first because you have to read a bunch of wiki pages and your terminal never, EVER picks the fonts you want.

>printers
Fuck printers.
>>
>>58623676
Audio and printers have always Just Werked(tm) for me.

Fonts I don't know, I've never care enough to change them.
>>
>Dependencies
Took me like three weeks to track down, successfully compile and install all the dependencies I needed before I could track down, compile and install all of the core packages for a working system.
>>
>>58623676
Seems accurate.
>>
Fonts, easily.
>>
>boot archbang live usb
>no audio
>uncomment nearest mirror
>pacman -S pulseaudio pavucontrol
>audio
>>
>>58623676
>If x doesn't work out of the box
You're only "fucked" if you haven't learned how things work outside of "out of the box" preconfigurations.
>>
>>58623751
No no, you see you have to compile a kernel somewhere first, else it's not a good fantasy
>>
>>58623676
>Audio
Not gonna comment cause my audios always worked out the box
>Fonts
It's easy to change the fonts of the main terminals (gnome, kde, xfce, etc.). They usually have some config option allowing this. Don't use rxvt, st, or whatever autists shill these days.
>Printers
Mileage varies by manufacturer. I've had good luck with brother and HP. I had to install Samsung drivers thru AUR, which was odd but it still worked flawlessly.
>>
From scratch audio is a pain especially with pilseaduo

Everything else is dandy
>>
File: re_DSCF2596.jpg (2MB, 2144x1608px) Image search: [Google]
re_DSCF2596.jpg
2MB, 2144x1608px
>>58623676
LIRC took me some time to set up.
>>
>>58623676
Wi-Fi drivers
>>
>>58623713
LFS?
>>
>>58623676
I'd use i3 if distros were shipping it to work out-da-box like CrunchBang did with Openbox back in the day.
Takes 2 hours out of my day to get sound + printers and font rendering to work before I start ricing.
My ricing will eventually break SOMETHING and after trying to figure out for 3 hours why fonts aren't appearing I become frustrated.
Eventually, I just go back to using Fedora + Gnome because I can get my system looking the way I want it to with far less steps involved.
Someone for the love of God make a distro w/ i3 that just semi-functional out of the box.
>>
File: 1485014126168.png (158KB, 666x607px) Image search: [Google]
1485014126168.png
158KB, 666x607px
>>58623676

>Have 4 monitors
>needs to do math to set them up at autostart
>>
>>58623676
burd
>>
yeah good fucking luck trying to get obs to record desktop audio and mic at the same time while using mumble
>>
I've only ever had trouble with my Brother printer. Sound and video always just werk for me.
>>
>>58624273
My distro uses pulse and this works without any drama, though I use discord/skype instead.
>>
>>58623676
>using printers
U wot?
>>
>>58623784
sudo env CCFLAGS=-DWITH_PULSEAUDIO make modules_install install
>>
>>58624344
Yeah, only NEETs don't use printers, you clearly seem to be one
>>
>>58624237
Let alone getting multi monitor wallpapers to work

https://github.com/nilesr/wide
https://github.com/nilesr/wide/blob/master/wide.py
>>
File: 1453916656099.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1453916656099.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
>>58623676
>>audio
>>fonts
>>printers
Not even close.

It's Bluetooth.

After few months of trying, I still haven't been able to get my BT working.
>>
Wi-fi has been a hassle with every distribution I have tried. Always need to install drivers which is hard without an internet connection
>>
>>58624358
I know a lot of normies who don't own printers. If they have to print anything, it's always for school or work, so they do it at school or work.
>>
>>58624370
so much this
never got bluetooth to work on any of my machines
>>
>>58624370
I've had BT work out of the box on every single PC I've installed linux on. Wifi has given me much more issue than BT.
>>
>>58624374
When this happens to me I use USB tethering from my phone. it's slow asf but it works to get what you need for wiffy
>>
>>58624358
Why the hell would you need one? I haven't had one in 8 years. The only reason I ever needed it was elementary school and I'm sure digital presentations are a thing now. The thing is more useless than a floppy reader.
>>
Audio not working out of the box isn't that big of a problem. Though I admit once you do fix it, you'll likely have no idea what you actually did to get it working. That's most of Linux though lol
>>
>>58624413
>never got bluetooth to work on any of my machines
I followed every guide on the web. even downloaded binary firmware for windows and converted it to Linux format. it still doesn't work.

>>58624448
what BT do you have? there's so many and NONE of the distros come with BT 4.0 firmware. I think you're bullshitting me, anon.
>>
>>58624374
Connect over ethernet or >>58624462. The only other alternative is to buy a supported wifi device.
On a side note, ZorinOS now has an option to install windows drivers if Linux one fail for some reason.
>>
>>58623676
Fingerprint reader. It should be automated, but still won't work.
>>
I've never gotten printers to work with Linux.
>>
>>58623676
All of you are objectively wrong. The single worse thing on Linux to configure is X. x.conf should burn.
>>
>Audio
Just werks. Ever tried pulse?
>fonts
Never annoying because I'm not a ricer faggot that absolutely has to have aliased 8pt katakana in ncmpcpp for the desktop dread
>printers
I had frequently problems with these and the USB backends on debian, but arch just werked because upstream knows better than a bunch of neckbeards. Lesson learned: Don't use debian.
>Bluetooth
Werked, but had to install half of KDE.
>Wifi
Normally werks because IDGAF about freedumbs
>spinning cubes, etc
fucking bullshit this shit doesn't fucking work is it that fucking hard to have drop shadows on a fucking transparent terminal why is everything so fucking chopy none of the fucking solutions work you fucking freetardsfhgfgsafgsahgf how the fuck do you fuck something like this up windowsh has beend oing it sicne FUEKCNENG VIIIIISTAAAA oh great the fuckng compton config fiel format changed again fuckdfuckfuc k i'm buying a mac fuck linux forever
>>
Oh boy, it's another episode of OP doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about and are using 10 year old out-dated info!

>Audio
There are some third party audio card drivers out there, but let's be real most soundcards are just RealTek or reskinned RealTek shit (i.e. Asus) and work perfectly out of the box. Audio not working is an outlier and has been for many years.
>Fonts
This ones maybe six months old, but font rendering in Linux has gotten significantly better. Like no more need for Infinality anymore.
>Printers
Once again, never had problems. CUPS works really well unless you're literally fucking retarded.
>>
>>58623676
If audio doesn't work out of the box you just have to unmute the channel, or if you installed a more bare-bones distro like Gentoo you forgot to enable audio support on the kernel, either way you're one tickbox away from working sound.

>fonts
Xresources if you're talking about the terminal font, Fontconfig otherwise. Very basic stuff.

>printers
Do you seriously own one? What a nigger caveman.
>>
>>58624448
I actually second this
>>
>>58623676
>>>printers
>Fuck printers.
CUSP just fucking werks. I think Apple sponsors this project and they have tons of drivers. I've never had any trouble with printers or scanners. They've all just werked after CUSP install.
>>
>>58623676
Stupid weaboo can't even install Linux properly.
Why are you even on /g/?
>>
>>58623676
Anything related to graphics if it doesn't just werk.
>most distros still ship in 2017 with no/broken VSync
>some don't even support Pascal, all you get is a black screen, not even a terminal if you boot one
Sounds and fonts and printers are a luxury if your system is incapable of displaying a single pixel on screen.
>>
>>58623676
>audio
DUDE alsactl init LMAO
>fonts
DUDE fc-cache --force --verbose LMAO
>printers
DUDE localhost:631 LMAO
>>
Anything that you want to make start at boot. For fuck sake why do all these applications need to be started via scripts and bullshit through init.d and system.d

No wonder noone wants to use this fucking shitty operating system, something that takes 1/2 second for windows or OSX takes like 2 days of googling for a normie.

If it wasnt for the fact there is decent server stuff in linux id never look at this god forsaken commie OS.

If the soviet union was anything like linux I can see why it failed.
>>
>>58623821
For me, LIRC was actually easier than expected. It definitely did take me some time, but I was pleasantly surprised when they had the configuration of the brand of remote I was using right out of the box.

>>58624273
I've never used OBS on Linux but I doubt it's harder than it is on Mac. Apple literally doesn't let you record any desktop audio at all. So you have to download a program that runs in the background and pipes your desktop audio to an output device. And then, if you actually want to listen to that audio at the same time, you have to use the OS X sound utility to create a virtual output device to send audio to both your headphones and the audio utility.
>>
SELinux if you want to confine everything + ubac, great learning curve however.
>>
Wireless installation. Too many distros don't realize that not everyone can install by ethernet.
>>
>>58623676
framebuffers
>>
Having a high dpi monitor and a non-high dpi one.

It's literally broken in at least two different places.
>>
>>58623676
>What's the worst thing to configure on Linux?
chat/pap/pppd bash scripts to dial into an isp to surf the internets.
>>
>>58624333
yeah maybe its just the fact that im using a hardware usb dac that makes things complicated
>>
File: 1485211170585.jpg (81KB, 758x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1485211170585.jpg
81KB, 758x1026px
>>58623676
AMD drivers on "old" laptops.
>Whoops! we're sorry! the drivers don't work on this version! you will need to downgrade if you want a smooth experience!
>downgrade
>installed fglrx
>it breaks
>mfw
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.