[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At my university, our CS classes use either free and open-sourced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1485117269313.png (103KB, 506x662px) Image search: [Google]
1485117269313.png
103KB, 506x662px
At my university, our CS classes use either free and open-sourced tools (such as SharpDevelop or Eclipse) or use free and easy to acquire proprietary tools (Visual Studio). I think that's great.

But, at the same time at my university, our computer imaging classes use expensive proprietary software for the process of imaging and touching up (Illustrator, Photoshop).

Why is it OK for programmers to use free and/or open-sourced tools but completely out of the question for artists/designers to use free and/or open-sourced tools? What gives?

Mind you: I'm not a FSF nerd and I'm not trying to be anal but I just find it somewhat inconvenient art classes are here versus computer science classes.
>>
>>58622417
This has nothing to do with it being "okay", FOSS creative tooling is just inferior. Not all of it is "bad" (I get along fine with GIMP) but that doesn't change the fact that the solutions which *just so happen* to have shitfuckloads of corporate money behind them are better to use.

Also, it may also have something to do with with programmers being able to program kickass tooling because they are programmers...can't say the same about most artists.
>>
>>58622591
programmers in general are okay with learning a complicated interface to perform a complicated task. Artists generally aren't.
>>
>>58622417
Artists free programs are a bit shitty... also big companies use that so the teach that
>>
>>58622665
Photoshop isn't complicated?
>>
>>58622417
I think it has mostly to do with flexibility. A programmer that only knows how to program inside an IDE using a proprietary toolset isn't a very flexible or very good programmer. A programmer that knows the fundamentals behind their craft and how their code is built can generally get by both with and without an IDE to guide them.

The same cannot be said of artists- even if they still know the fundamentals behind what it is they do when creating and editing images, it is enough for them to know how to do those tasks in one program or program suite.

Doesn't help that schools receive massive discounts on these types of software, as it means that students are less likely to look into learning alternative software for their career.
>>
>>58622417
We make our own tools, we have more tools, there are more people working in FOSS tools thus FOSS tools are better for us.

Artists don't make their own programs
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.