[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most modern hardware you could run on 98SE?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 365XD.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
365XD.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
What's the most modern hardware you could run on 98SE?

Would it be possible to use a modern motherboard and something with great single core performance like G3258? What about graphics? Any 3rd party drivers for the onboard stuff? What was the last drivers made by AMD or Nvidia?
>>
>>58616203
Bump for interest.

What makes it impossible for lets say, a sandy bridge i5, to be included included in a Windows 95, 98, or even 2000 build?
>>
>>58616203

Driver support for non-NT kernels disappeared quit rapidly. Don't expect to be amazed.
>>
>>58616288
98 not playing nice with the BIOS, from my research. So, UEFI is right out of the window
>>
>>58616203
>>58616298

According to MSFN, MSI Z87-G41 is supported, so G3258 could be a go.

How much better are the newer pentiums compared to it?
>>
I don't see how running it on a modern system should be a problem, but you need a GF6/Radeon Xx00 for 3D acceleration and a PCI sound card with driver support. Also you need the 48-bit LBA patch and your memory needs to be limited in system.ini. If you want to play DOS games with sound the newest systems you can use are C2Ds with ICH7 southbridge IIRC or AM2 with the last VIA chipset for that platform, because newer systems don't support PCI DMA AFAIK.
>>
>>58616392
So, the G3258 and the Z87 is out of contention for the ultimate DOS-9x gaming machine?

Also MSFN also tells me 6600GT is the newest card with drivers?
>>
>>58616445
6800 Ultra is. There may be hacked drivers for the 7 series.
Well yeah, if sound is important in DOS you gotta go older.
>>
>>58616480
Eh, can't you force it to go software mode for sound? Doesn't that exist?
>>
>>58616203
i know many p4 systems can
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.