[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This man wants to dissolve net neutrality and no one on /g/ gives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 39

File: Trump1[1].jpg (45KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Trump1[1].jpg
45KB, 960x640px
This man wants to dissolve net neutrality and no one on /g/ gives a rat's ass. You are all a bunch of corporate nutswingers after all.
>>
I gave a rat's ass. I voted against him, didn't work. Still give a rat's ass, but can't do anything. Still not gonna fucking protest though.
>>
File: 1474828784409.jpg (144KB, 999x553px) Image search: [Google]
1474828784409.jpg
144KB, 999x553px
>>58612893
time for you to go back.
>>
Correction: He doesn't give a shit about the internet at all, but people who have his ear don't like net neutrality.
>>
>>58612878
when and where did he say anything related to net neutrality? i probably missed unless your some larping faggot.
>>
>>58612905
>implying I'm dissatisfied with our meme in chief other than his FCC choice.
Please.
>>
>>58612878
>>58612919

>Falling for the Net Neutrality meme
>Wanting the government to actively have some control over the Internet
>>
>>58612909
>He doesn't give a shit about the internet at all

And he was still elected. How fucked are we?
>>
File: 1454440477581.jpg (118KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1454440477581.jpg
118KB, 960x540px
>>58612967
Forgot pic
>>
Fuck Net Neutrality.
ISPs holding regional monopolies thanks to the municipal governments are the problem. Get rid of the monopolies and there would be no need for your faggy net neutrality.
>>
>>58612967

>Wanting the government to actively have some control over the Internet

We've gotten a taste of what happens when Comcast controls it.

>bullshit data usage caps
>traffic shaping Netflix to oblivion in an attempt to sell more cable subscriptions complete with ads every 5 minuters
>>
I cared, that's why I voted for the shinier turd. In fact close to 3 million more people voted for the shinier turd. Didn't mean a thing.
>>
>>58612993
>thanks to the municipal governments

you mean politicians bought out by the providers?
>>
>>58613007

>implying Hillary "muh private email setup" would have been any better
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 240x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 240x270px
Americans invented cucks

They are the biggest cucks

Capitalism is the ultimate cuck culture
>>
>>58613018
You are giving way too much credit to Trump. It's not even close.
>>
>>58613034
>Americans invented cucks

You know cuckolding is a Shakespeare thing right? And it's probably even older than that.
>>
>>58613018
Hillary never brought up NN but there's basically no reason to expect her to have messed with it. She could have appointed terrible commissioners but the FCC is independent of the president so whatever they do she could just claim it was out of her hands.

Trump was actively against NN, he claimed it was a power grab by the president (which was obviously a lie). He is apparently interested in scrapping the FCC entirely.
>>
>>58613070
>scrapping the FCC entirely.

That would be a total shit show. Just look at a spectrum analyzer on 2.4 or 5.8
>>
File: busta.jpg (58KB, 300x448px) Image search: [Google]
busta.jpg
58KB, 300x448px
>mfw every net neutrality discussion on the tech board turns into republicans vs democrats

we all want net neutrality, so get on the same team for this you retards. don't be so easily divided.
>>
>>58613070
At this point he's going to scrap anything that obama ever looked at going by his first what, two days?

>>58613093
It's retards v retards here man don't even worry about it
>>
>>58613012
Yes.
Bullshit that shit holes in Europe and South Korea have faster and cheaper internet than the US.
The fact that the US is bigger and much more spread out isn't an argument either.
Force the ISPs to rent out their lines to other ISPs while still allowing them to lay down new line, but for newer, faster new lines that they lay down they should have a period of time where they don't have to rent it out.
>>
>>58613012
FCC is also bought out. Just by different type of providers, the cost gets rolled on you in both cases. The net neutrality argument never was and never will be about which fucks over the common man. The common man is fucked either way because he hasn't bought any government organizations.
>>
>>58613067
youbinow that Shakespeare was Amerixan, right?
>>
>>58613088
To be fair I think later there was a proposal to leave the FCC but limit them to allocating slices of the RF spectrum.
>>
>>58613018

>implying she wasn't 1337 Presidame for using private email away from the overlords.

>implying we shouldn't all use private secure email
>>
>>58612878
I posted about it on /pol/ and my thread got deleted. Nobody there even knew who Ajit is. I didn't expect it this soon, but we're literally seeing idiocracy in its infancy right at this very second. The LCD is growing and they're ruining everything.
>>
The republicans are going to regret putting him in office. Not only is their own party split over him, but he will force public opinion back to democrat hands for the next 8 years when he inevitably fucks everything up for the next 4 years.
>>
Redneck republicucks are the WORST cancer happened to mankind after jews
>>
>>58612878
felt mildly concerned about his possible FCC appointee

then I turned on the TV and remembered that I voted for more than just how much bandwidth my personal telescreen will have available to it

see you again in 2024
>>
Didn't Obama sign some agreement allowing nsa to share information with other private agencies or something like that right before he left?
>>
>>58613278
Hey, at least you realize you've shot yourself in the foot. The overwhelming majority of trump voters are in for a very rude awakening once they realize they voted for someone that is going to affect them very negatively. Poetic justice, but it will still hurt all of us.
>>
>>58613205
>1337

Yeah that's why she had the lowest bidding consultant set it up, right?

>implying we shouldn't all use private secure email

In that position you should use the infrastructure you're told to so your ass is covered when it is compromised. She ran off and built her own the second she saw something she didn't like with the system she was supposed to be using. Typical entitled snowflake shadow IT bullshit.
>>
>>58613249
The republicans fought him every goddamn step of the way, they refused to fund his campaign after he was nominated. The man simply cannot lose.
>>
>>58613318

>rude awakening

It'll be just like Kansas but on a national scale.

>the working poor elect conservatard governor promising lower taxes and smaller government
>suddenly no income tax on businesses
>public infrastructure turns to shit
>increased state sales tax on groceries on top of local sales tax

Guess we all just need to work harder.
>>
/g/ can't even explain what net neutrality even is or how they would enforce it.
>>
>>58613318
the world will keep turning as always and we've been shot in the foot for a long time, so you're really not striking that much of a sympathetic chord with me

honestly, blame your own camp that abused the shit out of popular media connections to manipulate and polarize the voter base to create this shit show of an election, maybe we would have actually gotten good candidates if the telescreens actually focused on the issues instead of the petty reality TV shit-flinging wars
>>
File: for what purpose.jpg (115KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.jpg
115KB, 1024x904px
>>58612878
Why does it matter? We're already buttfucked by ISPs and the NSA can spy on everything you do. The US government will lock you up if you don't decrypt a phone or hard drive. All calls and texts are recorded. Where is this magical "neutrality" you speak of? Even 4chan is monitored by the state, which is why moot left. You have no freedom, merely the illusion of it.
>>
>>58613357

internet cannot be prioritized

it's that easy. no priorities = equal internet
>>
>>58613344

fuck that. look at people like /pol/ and r/thedonald breeding stupidity and memes like a terrible virus. of course he couldn't lose because he had a free workforce of millions of angry virgins delivering content right to his feet
>>
>>58613420
>what is QoS

Certain types of data, like video or VoIP, are very sensitive to delays and retransmissions. Regular web browsing, not so much.

/g/'s understanding of net neutrality would break two major uses of the internet.
>>
>>58613351

>suddenly no income tax on businesses

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS THIS FOR REAL? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>58613249
Or maybe the kompromat thing is the real deal and they are going to puppet him for the next 4 to 8 years. Who knows!
>>
File: 1344828058694.jpg (52KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1344828058694.jpg
52KB, 460x460px
>>58613007
>Hillary wins
>TPP gets signed
>End up with net neutrality or worse anyways
Did /g/ collectively forget how fucking terrible the TPP was going to be for the internet and for freedom?
>>
>>58613357

You're an idiot.
>>
>>58613473
what do you expect from a bunch of dependent sheep whose only concern in the world is the delivery rate of their precious e-soma
>>
>>58613412

It's apparent you don't know what "net neutrality" is.

Go educate yourself before expressing an "opinion".
>>
>>58613486
So how will things be different once these changes take place? Simply use Tor.
>>
>>58612878
doesn't matter who's in office, they all want to dissolve our freedoms
>>
>>58613433
Fascism is inherently ridiculous and so are fascists. They are mediocre people who starve for ideology ,belonging and recognition by mere virtue of birth because they are unable to achieve anything of worth by themselves.
The only reason Trump won is not only because HRC is an unlikable human being, but also because the campaign surrounding her failed to portray her as a likable human being. YOU, the stupid voter, were supposed to be with her, not the other way around. And then she lost.

/pol/ can''t find its way out of a paper bag, they didn't do shit, and they'll fade into irrelevancy once again when Trump steps down. Just look at how much of a laughing stock Spencer became in just a single day.
>>
>>58612905
Here's a little secret.

Not everyone who voted for Hillary is an SJW
>>
>>58613501
>Tor

Why do you think encrypted data will be "unthrottled"?

It's apparent you have no idea. at all, what you're talking about.
>>
>>58613384
This goes deeper than 'sides', my friend. That type of thinking is why we're in this mess to begin with.
>>
>>58613473
>>58613484
Clinton was against TPP
>>
>>58613522
Tor is already slow. So what?
>>
Very few people are against the concept of net neutrality, they're against the idea that the government should enforce it.
>>
>>58612878
fuck you, /pol/ bootlickers don't signify /g/ consensus. you know those fucks have filters on to know when and where to spew their bullshit on everyone else who don't give a fuck about it.
>>
>>58613546
And you'll have to do everything on TOR. We'll literally be back the stone age of the internet.
>>
>>58613544
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/08/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-now-opposes-trans-pacific-partners/
Clinton was "against" the TPP after what was in the TPP leaked to the public. Do you really think she was actually against it?
>>
>>58613546

Looks like I'll have to start with the basics.

Do you know what a computer is?
>>
>>58612878
Didn't Trump say that sending mail via snail mail in plain text was more "secure" than emails, and people here were agreeing with that statement? Fucking idiots. He could say the sky is actually red and they'll believe him.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 320x179px
>Americans could have voted for Bernie
>instead both the """""left""""" and """""right""""" went full retard

YOU FAGGOTS DESERVE EVERYTHING YOU GET FROM YOUR FAKE DEMOCRACY WITH CORRUPTION AT IT'S VERY CORE

I WAS ACTUALLY SHILLING FOR TRUMP ALL OVER THE INTERNET BEFORE THE ELECTIONS BECAUSE HE IS WHAT YOU DESERVE
>>
>>58613549
That is the most retarded thing I've ever read.
>>
>>58613420
What do you mean by internet? What do you mean by prioritized? Do you even know how network infrastructure works?
>>
>>58613530
that does sound a little stupid because I assumed I was replying to one of the people talking about how they "voted for the shinier turd" further up in the chain

nonetheless my point still stands, this was a garbage election and honestly outside of a vocal minority a lot of trump voters probably weren't really expecting much as you think they were, lots just wanted to keep the supreme court red, others figured they had nothing to lose anyway so they might as well go with the guy that at least expresses a bit of positive change in their direction as opposed to the other option which ignored many of their grievances and tried to make them feel like terrible people for having them

HRC was absolutely god awful and she can go fuck herself for putting us in this position, at least she'll make a good case study for why you never, ever attack the people you're asking to vote for you
>>
>>58613562
>Jewish communist with no concept of money flight or brain drain
>Thinks taxing the rich at 100% will solve everything
>Owns 3 houses, has never held a private-sector job
>>
>>58613007
>I cared, that's why I voted for the shinier turd. In fact close to 3 million more people voted for the shinier turd. Didn't mean a thing.
Trump actually won the popular vote too when you take away the estimated 3 million illegals and 5 million dead people that voted.
>>
>>58613560

Trump does "alt-facts" only.

Trump and his supporters are walking, talking cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>58613562
I'm so glad the Bernie would've won motto is catching on so quickly.
>>
>>58613512

there were like a dozen other candidates besides HRC

personally, i was for Kasich, except the fact that he was completely unable to separate church and state. but he's good with money and he understands how to run from an executive government position.
>>
>>58613568
There are two options.
1. Cut back existing regulations that make it incredibly difficult for new ISPs to enter the market. Introduce competition and there's now a reason for them not to fuck you over.

2. Introduce even more regulation because regulation makes everything better because the government is a hyper efficient entity that is perfect and shits rainbows!
>>
>>58613573

If you treat data preferentially, based on origin, you have destroyed the internet.
>>
>>58613555
We (well, most of us I think) lived that way before, we can do it again.

>>58613558
Yes. It's a box with a keyboard attached. It runs on unicorn farts.
>>
File: trump hmmmmmmmmmmmm.png (3KB, 251x121px) Image search: [Google]
trump hmmmmmmmmmmmm.png
3KB, 251x121px
>>58613575
>Jewish
>>
>>58613590
same, I voted for him in the primary because I felt he was the least shitty looking turd in the bunch

the republicans keep putting up god awful weak-ass candidates and it absolutely infuriates me
>>
>>58613557
>Since the start of her 2016 campaign, Hillary Clintonhasn’t taken a strong positionon the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal -- saying she would reserve judgment until the deal was finalized.
>Well, the negotiations recently came to a close, and Clinton promptly announced that she opposes the deal.
Yes
>>
>>58613599
>yes let's throw away decades of advancement in QoS algorithms because reddit thinks it's a good idea!
>>
>>58613597
3. Put an ex Verizon employee on the FCC and say it'll be good for competiton
>>
>>58612967
The ISPs have already proven they do a shitty job of controlling it (data caps, cartels, forcing sites to pay them or get throttled), so the FCC definitely deserves to control regulation of it over the ISPs. And I say this as a libertarian.
>>
File: Foucault.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Foucault.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>58613597

You do know that telecoms were deregulated in the 1990s?

Normal market operation results in winners and losers. The hundreds of small ISPs gradually went out of business or were bought up by bigger players.

The current situation where a few big ISP dominate is the result of market forces.

The more you know, the less of a cunt you are.
>>
>>58613093
>we all want net neutrality

No we don't. The internet worked just fucking fine prior to the FCC's power grab in Feb 2015, and will continue to work just fine after net neutrality is gone again.

If comcast and netflix want to fight it out, let them. Far better than giving the FCC the power to regulate the internet as a 'common carrier'.
>>
>>58613605

>awful weak-ass candidates

I don't know....they've already sent the governors of Mass, Alaska, and Ohio into the foray and all of them lost.

The real bullshit part is that Clinton was the last president that actually won on merit. Bush just won because of his dad, Obama won because he's black, and Trump won because he's a celebrity.

The worst part is this stupid Age of the Meme is bringing down everyone's intelligence, so it's only going to get worse.
>>
>>58613617

>doesn't know what net neutrality is...

Why are you conflating two different things?
>>
>>58613582
Source? I'll save you some time. It's bullshit made up by trump.
>>
>>58613597
Yeah, because businesses are magically much more efficient. The free market is a fairytale that was spoonfed to you by some dipshit that's farming you for clicks. Maybe the free market would work if it wasn't filled with neanderthals like yourself.
>>
>>58613544
clinton was against a lot of things when it had the potential to bring the bernie demographic back into the fold

but politicians never lie, right?
>>
>>58613638

You're an idiot.
>>
>>58613642
>In the field ofcomputer networkingand otherpacket-switchedtelecommunication networks, quality of service refers to traffic prioritization and resource reservation control mechanisms rather than the achieved service quality. Quality of service is the ability to provide different priority to different applications, users, or dataflows, or to guarantee a certain level of performance to a data flow.
Sure sounds like treating data differently to me.
>>
Jeez, anything politics discuss it to /pol/. at least give it a bit of tech related if you want to discuss it here in /g/
>>
>>58613638

>worked just fine

that's because everyone was waiting to see what would happen with it, and when they saw devices like the Roku coming out that were going to use bandwidth to make money, the ISPs made a grab to get their share of the cash. The FCC kept them from adding on a 10% service fee to every internet action available.
>>
>>58613617
this.

net neutrality will have no affect on customer service. in fact it will probably get better for 98% of customers.

the only reason anyone disagrees with it is because they heard it 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand from articles which distort the real goals of such measures with their opinion on the matter, which is not based in networking science, but their perception of the companies that run the show.

and to you individuals: if you're so smart, why don't you start up a multibillion dollar company that services over a billion customers, and billions of host devices.
>>
>>58613662
This can potentially be 100% tech-related, but it's too bad this is 4chan and /pol/ crossies are running around rampant.
>>
>>58613642
No, he's right.

Net neutrality means you can't prioritize real time traffic (streaming, gaming) over web browsing and other not time dependent traffic.
>>
Eventually the internet will probably be a paid content portal. The real web will slowly be put into more and more obscure hidden settings in modern browsers until the option to access it disappears completely. Then a specific browser or version will have to be used to access it. Like the Windows 8.1 user interface.
>>
>>58613661
>thinks net neutrality is simply treating data differently...

Please educate yourself.

Since when has /g/ been overrun by retards?
>>
>>58613668
also, the educated people know that the network, and the technology behind it is meaningless. when they look at it, they're looking at meaninglessness, and they know they're looking at meaninglessness.

it is the customer who attaches meaning to it, and that is their folly.
>>
>>58613671
pretty sure OP was the first one to bring /pol/ into it with blatant disinfo that demonstrates he doesn't even understand the issue and is just parroting bullshit he read on facebook
>>
>>58613681
So what is net neutrality, in your own mind?
>>
>>58613681
since the speccy thread was overrun by wangblows 10 users.
>>
>>58613638
Trump appointed an ex Verizon employee to eradicate net neutrality in the name of competition but at the same time, remove a bill that would have lifted all the red tape on starting an ISP and you know, creating fucking competition. You people are so misinformed and uneducated, it's almost comical. Neck yourself, as you edgy Trumpledytes like to say.
>>
File: net-neutrality.jpg (298KB, 1113x688px) Image search: [Google]
net-neutrality.jpg
298KB, 1113x688px
>>
>>58613668

In some areas only one ISP dominates the market because they won in the market place. No one else can compete with their economies of scale.

If net neutrality ends, what choice will consumers have?
>>
>>58613638
>The internet worked just fucking fine prior to the FCC's power grab in Feb 2015
Prior to the 2015 order there was another order from 2010 that set net neutrality rules. That order was struck down in court because Verizon took the FCC to court. From like 2000-2010 NN wasn't official. Prior to that internet had the same rules it currently has. NN has been around longer than the lack of it. The really neat trick ISPs pulled was convicing rubes that NN was changing the status quo when removing it was the actual change.
>>
>>58613697
What's stopping a VPN or proxy from accessing those services?
>>
>>58613695
[citation needed]
>>
>>58613705
>No one else can compete with their economies of scale.
welcome to the 21st century. get real, loser.
>>
File: wordmeans.jpg (48KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
wordmeans.jpg
48KB, 600x518px
Okay wait wait wait.

How exactly does a 'neutral' internet work? Are there just tiers of data? Because it sounds like it's similar to the lanes on a highway, some are for going faster than others but it's imperative that they're only used for that one medium.

So would Comcast want to give paying hosts access to that faster traffic speed? Or would they slow down non-paying hosts?
>>
>>58613672

You're an idiot.
>>
>>58613720
No one can explain in detail. It's really just people from reddit latching onto it as the next big buzzword to use to complain about ISPs.
>>
>>58613705

But the local/state government has the very real power to kick out an ISP and forbid them from doing business and then go in and subsidize the internet.

I mean really, people always say that 'government work is shit' but think about stuff like the USPS or social security or NASA. Federal funding mixed with tedium can produce some very fruitful results.
>>
>>58613713
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/01/fcc-to-be-led-by-ajit-pai-staunch-opponent-of-consumer-protection-rules/
>>
>>58613729

>no one can explain in detail

You mean YOU can't explain in detail. I'd like to hear some educated words so that I'm no longer ignorant to all of this and I can teach others.
>>
muh netflix

remember to sage and hide
>>
>>58613734
Probably because it has been going on for so long that it doesn't matter anymore, what or who it damages. It's true but it doesn't mean it's all that great.
>>
>>58613738
Ajit was appointed by Obongo.
>>
>>58613689
>in your own mind,

Open a web browser.
In the URL bar type: https://www.google.com
Type "net neutrality" into the search box, hit return.

I assume you can read and write at a basic level?
>>
>>58613656
>You're an idiot.

No. I had been in the ISP & Hosting business since the early 90's. I know now the FCC crippled all innovation and felxibility in the telecom industry for 50+ years, and I don't want to see that happen to the internet.

The simple fact is the internet worked just fine before the FCC decided somehow that it had the power to regulate all private ISP's. All this speculation about 'hurr ISP's were going to charge the end user for access to X site/service!' is complete bullshit.

This has never been about the relationship between the ISP and the end user. It's about the relationship between the ISP's and the huge streaming content providers (netflix and youtube, specifically) that compose 70%+ of the internet traffic.

The ISP's want the streaming providers to decentralize their hosting infrastructure and bring it closer to the end user so it is not such a burden on the long haul infrastructure. The hosting providers want to keep their servers relatively centralized because it is more cost effective for them. This has nothing to do with you as the end user.

>>58613667
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>58613720
ISPs cannot deliberately shape internet traffic based on the source or destination. I believe different types of content can still be shaped with QoS though
>>
>>58613754
There are many different links, all using a different definition. I was curious as to YOUR interpetation of what net neutrality should be, and what regulations should be implemented.
>>
>>58613749
President Donald Trump will select Republican Ajit Pai to become chairman of the Federal Communications Commission

Literally the first fucking sentence. People this dumb actually voted.
>>
>>58613757
>I know now the FCC crippled all innovation and felxibility in the telecom industry for 50+

Stopped reading there.

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>58613771
>No, I'm not sure
>>
>>58613766
>There are many different links, all using a different definition.

Wut?
>>
>>58613749
Note that the FCC has a limit of three people from any given party. There's three dems so Obama had to appoint two repubs
>>
>>58613705
utilites are not like your local handyman, or resturaunt.

it makes sense to have multiple stores to choose from, because they are in a discrete location.

but utilities need to run infrastructure everywhere.

imagine if you had 50 power companies jostling for business in one city. all of the extra cabling, etc.

similar situation with ISP's, but they have a solution, piggybacking.

smaller companies pay a million dollars each per month to rent a slice of bandwidth from a larger ISP. this is a lot cheaper than running conduit, setting up a datacenter, and DNS servers, tech support, etc. then they sell a cheaper service on the back of the larger one.
>>
>>58613757
You're completely and utterly full of shit. Leave it to shitters from /pol/ to falseflag with this broken logic.
>>
>>58613758
So if the power goes out in New York City ISPs are still forced to route traffic there?
>>
>>58612905
I don't understand how people think that voting for Trump is voting against SJW/PC culture. Firstly, tranny SJWs and fat lesbian feminazis don't really have any power outside of Tumblr and shitty MSM. Secondly Trump hasn't said a thing about them (again, because they're irrelevant).

I return, you've cucked out the country to a man who truly doesn't give a fuck about anything other than making money, panders to hillbilly rednecks and racists to win the vote and is an idiot when it comes to anything important such as science and technology.

I truly can't fathom how someone with an IQ over 80 could vote for Trump in good faith. Yes, everyone hates Hillary but Trump is a fucking supervillain.
>>
Daily reminder that Netflix is forced to pay Comcast in order to not be throttled.
https://consumerist.com/2014/02/23/netflix-agrees-to-pay-comcast-to-end-slowdown/
>>
>>58613697
I used to unironically believe this was possible until I realized that this shit would not at all fly with the thousands upon thousands of small businesses who rely on the internet to function
>>
File: 1484031168235.png (54KB, 900x710px) Image search: [Google]
1484031168235.png
54KB, 900x710px
>>58613789
>>
>>58613734
USPS is inferior to other courier services. I think even UPS said they could do letters to for a fraction of the cost of the USPS while still making a profit.
Social security is garbage too, I had a 162% gain on the stock market in 2016, and I would have made even more if I was able to keep the money that is taken out of my paycheck for social security that I will never see, and even then, I can make my own money. People should have to save for their own retirement.
>>
>>58613780

The US made the mistake of privatizing the infrastructure.

The infrastructure need to be publically owned and rented out to competing ISPs. This is how most of the World delivers internet. It's why the US is being left behind.
>>
>>58613791
>
Much like Netflix’s ongoing standoff with Verizon FiOS, the drop in speeds wasn’t an issue of the ISP throttling or blocking service to Netflix. Rather, the ISPs were allowing for Netflix traffic to bottleneck at what’s known as “peering ports,” the connection between Netflix’s bandwidth provider and the ISP.
Holy shit, you people from reddit can't even read the own sources you link.
>>
>>58613803
Nice one. That should solve everyone's disapproval of Trump.
>>
File: 1484352739034-1.jpg (167KB, 1098x876px) Image search: [Google]
1484352739034-1.jpg
167KB, 1098x876px
>>58613789
(you)
>>
I'm all for it, if those eastern EU and chinese hackers get quarantined.
>>
>>58613809
Think of the land area we have to cover and sparsely populated areas.
>>
>>58613804
Love this meme. Not only has the USPS been cheaper and faster than UPS and Fedex for me, but they've been more reliable. This has been the case in major metro, suburbs and rural in various states.
>>
>>58613697
>World of Warcraft
>5$ a month

:v
>>
File: 1484475440700.png (161KB, 500x763px) Image search: [Google]
1484475440700.png
161KB, 500x763px
>>58613809
>>58613809
>This is how most of the World delivers internet

"Most of the world" is fucked, matey.
>>
>>58613803
>>58613816
damn got any more epic ms paint strawmen
>>
>>58613778
>Net neutralityis theprinciplethatInternet service providersand governments regulating the Internet should treat all data on theInternetthe same, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication.
Here is the definition from Wikipedia. Do you agree with this definition?
>>
>>58613816
That che shirt really makes your straw man cartoon relevant.
>>
>>58613800
Republicans don't care about small businesses if it meant there's more regulation.
>>
>>58613706
Bullshit. as someone has been in the internet industry since it was an industry, your imagining things. The FCC has wanted the internet to be classified as a common carrier for ages in order to give them the authority to regulate it, but prior to 2015 it hasn't been. They issued whatever rulings they wanted, which were ignored, and anytime they tried to enforce those rulings the FCC lost in court because they simply didn't have the regulatory authority over the internet, which is a good thing.

If any of you fucking idiots knew the massive regulatory nightmare the FCC imposed on the telcos after the AT&T break up, you would never want them to have regulatory control over the internet.

Learn your fucking history, idiots.
>>
>>58613820

Romania has faster internet than you.
>>
File: 1482015295653.jpg (290KB, 953x772px) Image search: [Google]
1482015295653.jpg
290KB, 953x772px
>>58613838
>>
>>58613840
You're aware the picture in question is a joke right
>>
>>58613789
>blah blah blah but look at these strawmen blah blah blah
yeah just keep on further poisoning the well of discussion with this bullshit while we all laugh at you
you're a fucking disgrace to the democracy you claim to value
>>
>>58613803
It has nothing to do with right-wingers. Given a choice between Hillary and Ted Cruz I would've voted Cruz anyways. Trump, however, is an idiot. Many Republicans opposed him. Ted Cruz openly opposed him in the Convention. Trump doesn't even give a shit about the right-wing. He used to be a vocal Democrat supporter for most of his life, until he realized it's easier to con idiots like yourself just by saying "fuck Mexicans, fuck Muslims".
>>
>>58613828
>"Most of the world" is fucked, matey

Er... and it still has faster internet than the US...
>>
File: 1484475918339.jpg (119KB, 1024x659px) Image search: [Google]
1484475918339.jpg
119KB, 1024x659px
>>58613829
>most of the world
>>
>>58613810
What's the difference between that and throttling? It sound like a way to throttle Internet traffic until Netflix pays.
>>
File: 1484474403267.png (360KB, 740x897px) Image search: [Google]
1484474403267.png
360KB, 740x897px
>>58613862
for you.

100/100 here in austraila, $30/month
>>
>>58613868
Why the fuck should Comcast build more cables for free for Netflix?
>>
>>58613836

Keep reading.
>>
>>58613788
The rules rely on consumers and companies sending complaints. If the FCC got a significant amount of compaints they might investigate. Obviously they wouldn't bother investigating an ISP routing around an outage
>>
>>58613881
I don't remember saying they should. Was that fake outrage meant to make me forget about my question?
>>
>>58613881
Why is comcast so shit at building cables in the first place, and has aging infrastructure despite fee gouging and generally being comcast
>>
>>58613891
>oh noes my Youtube is slow!
>better complain to the FCC even though I have no idea what is going on!
>ISP forced to spend millions on legal fees defending themselves
>>
>>58613789
>racists
fuck off sjw
>>
>>58613897
fiduciary duty, you dumb 18 year old
>>
>>58613821
I think other mail carriers actually piggyback on their infrastructure, especially for rural areas where it's not profitable to deliver to normally.
>>
>>58613772
Start here and fuck off.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/tariffs-0

The reason why cable providers were completely able to beat the shit out of the telco providers when it came to offering internet access was because the telcos were hamstrung with miles and miles of red tape in the form of tariffs on what they could provide, where they could provide it, how much they could ;provide it for, etc.

This is why cell companies and cable companies were able to advance so rapidly, while the land line carriers were stuck offering just dial tone for so long.
>>
>>58613804
>USPS inferior to other courier services

except none of those other courier services want to insure at the USPS's 5000/50000 rates. and social security is one of the most efficient programs in the world, but we have a population of 65+ that is growing rather than shrinking, and will continue to grow.

so don't blame the federal government, blame old people for being greedy
>>
>>58613840
Small business is pretty much a basic pillar of the republican small-government utopia, just because their Laissez-faire ideals tend to fuck that up when mixed with modern globalism doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about it.
>>
>>58612878
of course they don't, a good portion of them voted in his favor because they're contrarians.

/pol/ is going to get BTFO in the next few months, when his campaign promises don't materialize. We're seeing the rise of what will be the greatest example of crony capitalism
>>
>>58613517
>Not everyone who voted for Hillary is an SJW

Hillary voters are fags. I'm just happy that all this butt devastation has given birth to angry defeated democrat masturbatory compilation videos on jewtube, was reason enough to vote for Trump.

That and I want him to turn Syria into a parking lot. With Trump in charge, ISIS is over.
>>
>>58613896
Netflix traffic caused the interlink to Comcast from their Tier 1 middleman to go over capacity. Netflix wanted more capacity. The way to do that was to build more cables. They were asking Comcast to do it for free.
It would be if I had 10/10 internet, and suddenly needed to increase my upload speed, and demanded that Comcast give it to me for free.
>>
>/pol/ decides to talk politics on /g/ because they don't know technology
Why can't you just stay on /pol/ then? You get more replies.
>>
>>58613864
>>58613879
those unrelated articles sure are something huh
>>
>>58613757

>The ISP's want the streaming providers to decentralize their hosting infrastructure and bring it closer to the end user so it is not such a burden on the long haul infrastructure. The hosting providers want to keep their servers relatively centralized because it is more cost effective for them. This has nothing to do with you as the end user.

Really? Source?
>>
>if you make kids think business is evil, they will avoid it
>if they avoid it they will not learn how to conduct it
>that is how we win
>>
>>58613930
Right, the guys who were right the entire election will still be wrong in the end!

Eventually, right? can i get like a date or something so i can put a countdown on
>>
>>58613859
Who cares? He's only candidate other than Jim Webb that understood how badly Obama fucked up and had a plan to fix it.
>>
>>58613899
Or the ISP can just explain that there's an outage in the area and they're routing around it. The FCC would obviously be informed of the outage when they take a look.
>>
>>58613919

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>58613946
end of Q1
>>
>>58613789
>sjws aren't a real problem, they're irrelevant outside tumblr!
Fucking deluding yourself. They are a real problem and they have influence outside of tumblr. The people those retarded teenager girls parrot control academia, hold political office, and can otherwise greatly influence society, too.
Similar things go for /pol/ btw, they aren't just dumb memers that dont matter outside of 4chan.
>>
>>58613939

He has no source.

He's talking utter shit.
>>
>>58613934
Building cables and providing Internet service is what they do. They have record profits even as incomes stagnate. They can use some of it or some of the $2 billion in subsidies they got. We should have fiber everywhere now anyway.
>>
>>58613946
>Right, the guys who were right the entire election
you mean pol?
lol
>>
>>58613934
netflix didn't cause anything.

consumers using netflix caused it
>>
>>58613951
elaborate for us plebeian observers
because literally all you're doing is saying "w-well it isn't!" like it's obvious, not very convincing desu
>>
>>58613930
>Brexit won't happen
>the republicans will never let Trump run
>Trump will never win the nomination
>Trump will never win the election
>Trump won't do what he said he was going to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBd5RY7GRo

Looking forward to the protests, Trump is the man.
>>
>>58613964
Haha meme's xD
>>
>>58613959

I guess you have the "alt-facts" on your side...

Retard.
>>
>>58613950
There is no outage. YouTube is slow due to Google's fuckup. People blame their ISP and now they have to waste their time with court invesitigations. Imagine if it was a small ISP who was trying to compete with Comcast. They would be in ruins.
>>
>>58613930
>>58613964

>/pol/ is going to get BTFO in the next few months, when his campaign promises don't materialize
Nervous man says this is the end of Trump's Campaign for sure for the 70th time
>We're seeing the rise of what will be the greatest example of crony capitalism
You probably either voted for Clinton or supported any of the other candidates (Jill, Bernie and Memes Johnson) who have either done something to support her indirectly or directly. You really have no room to talk about crony capitalism.
>>
The web could work without net neutrality (in the sense that we don't get rampant censorship). But the US has far too many changes to go through before that.
To suggest it removal now is foolish or just malicious.
>>
I read the entire thread and as it's usual in /g/ it was a complete waste of time. Can anybody rational enough explain what the fuck Net Neutrality actually is? Come on I'll be ok even if you use memes for the purpose...
>>
>>58613976
>"alt-facts"
is that what they're calling realism today?
>>
>>58613963
So that gives Netflix the right to shove traffic down their infrastructure and ruin it for other consumers?
>>
>>58613896
Not him, but ISP's build their own network and then either connect to other networks at public peering points for 'free'. Or enter into private contracts with network providers to internet at private peering points.

The public peering points all suffer from the tragedy of the commons. They are massively overloaded and slow and it's not in any specific companies best interest to pay to upgrade it because everyone else will benefit from that upgrade without having to pay for it.

Todays internet is almost entirely built around private peering points. Netflix and [Comcast|Verizon|AT&T] come to an agreement, build out connections to their networks to the private peering location, and then route traffic to each other that way.

If they can't come to an agreement, then the traffic between them has to be routed over a public peering point, and it then gets bottlenecked as fuck.

It's not throttling netflix, it's that netflix alone accounts for like half the traffic on the internet at peak times and those fuckers need to come to an agreement with the ISP's for traffic delivery instead of trying to dump that shit on the public peering points.
>>
>>58613951
>repeatedly claim the other person doesn't know what he's talking about
>he keeps replying
That's excellent. If this was a shit posting board.
>>
>>58613985
>politicized issue
>rational discussion
pick one and only one
>>
>>58613976
What the fuck does that term mean?
You know im saying "POL BAD" right?
>>
>>58613985
Open up faggot, here comes the spoon.

>the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.
>>
>>58613981
>supporting a candidate == crony capitalism

i mean, you aren't even right on a conceptual basis
>>
>>58613973
I hope he makes America great but I have serious doubts. He's too stuck on lying about releasing his tax returns, lying about the number of people that showed up to his inauguration, and not attending security briefings to accomplish much.
>>
File: Martin_Heidegger.jpg (48KB, 318x460px) Image search: [Google]
Martin_Heidegger.jpg
48KB, 318x460px
>>58613972
>This is why cell companies and cable companies were able to advance so rapidly , while the land line carriers were stuck offering just dial tone for so long.

Just read that line.

You expect me to take anon seriously when he's talking total fucking horseshit?

I've never seen cancer so pure outside the confines of /pol/
>>
>>58613991
>shove traffic down their infrastructure
>shove!

see, this is more of that "looking for meaning where there is no meaning" i mentioned earlier.

you're a loser. the only thing keeping you from killing yourself are the websites you visit. it's weird because you used to not be this way. maybe you've even forgotten. but these days you sound really gay. stop it.
>>
>>58613993
Maybe Comcast shouldn't be in the business then. They have a monopoly and they have abused it by not building any any new infrastructure. At least they have people like you to defend them.
>>
>>58614014
>America great again...

When did America cease being "great" in the first place?
>>
>>58614014
he bombed isis 31 times on DAY ONE in office, idiot

reports are saying the leader of isis is dead
>>
>>58613973
Is the UK out of the EU already? Amazing. How did this escape me?

Sometimes I wonder if people actually know what a referendum is. This is primary school education here but maybe not everywhere.
>>
>big corporations are worse than big governments
Leftist propaganda everyone!
>>
>>58613979
ISP would be able to say the problem is on youtube's end.
>>
>>58614032
It didn't. I was using a Trump supporters own language.
>>
>>58613982
>The web could work without net neutrality

Yeah, and it did, just fine until Feb 2015.

>To suggest it removal now is foolish or just malicious.

Bullshit. Beside the obvious axiom of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', there are good reasons to not want net neutrality.

For instance, having netflix or youtube go slow for a week while the ISP's and Providers hammer out a deal is far preferable to giving the FCC regulatory control over the internet.
>>
>>58614040
That didn't work in the Comcast/Netflix incident.
>>
>>58614011
>Supporting a candidate that encompasses crony capitalism at it's worst == supporting crony capitalism

Uhhhh...???
>>
>>58613973
where did I mention that any of those things wouldn't happen?

>>58613981
no, I wrote myself in instead of voting for any of them, none are adapt to lead the country.
>>
>>58613973

The UK is in the EU.

"Brexit" hasn't happened, and won't for at least two years, if ever...
>>
>>58614035
It's kinda ironic, since big corporations and big governments act in very similar manners
>>
>>58614032
around the same time they started putting foreigners interests above american citizens.
>>
>>58614028
Why should Comcast be building infrastructure for free?
>>
>>58614033
I know you're trolling but no he didn't.>>58614033
>>
>>58614046
>Yeah, and it did, just fine until Feb 2015.

Idiot.
>>
>>58614048
>You really have no room to talk about crony capitalism.

You brought up the non-sequitur, really equating not supporting Trump with supporting some form of crony capitalism is a bunch of meme logic.
>>
>>58614070
I second this notion.
>>
File: philly.jpg (268KB, 1203x945px) Image search: [Google]
philly.jpg
268KB, 1203x945px
>>58614058
it's ironic that they would criticize the color of these clothes based on the person wearing them
>>
>>58614061
They should build infrastructure to keep up with demand. Having a monopoly means they can always do the bare minimum and that's exactly what they do. Then they complain that Netflix is using it.
>>
>>58614059
> putting foreigners interests above american citizens.

When did this happen?

With the free trade revolution under Reagan's Administration?
>>
>>58614061
To provide a better service to customers. Really it is the government the ones who should build infrastructure with tax money, but corporations are gud why shuld comcast bring a better service to customurs herp
>>
>>58614046
>Yeah, and it did, just fine until Feb 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_Open_Internet_Order_2010
>>
>>58614055
Theresa May herself said there would be a Hard Brexit

>>58614014
> He's too stuck on lying about releasing his tax returns
Why do you want to know his private information? Maybe I should ask about how many cocks you suck on a daily basis.
> lying about the number of people that showed up to his inauguration
Seriously, who cares? How does this affect me or my job just like the tax return thing?
>not attending security briefings to accomplish much
You mean only getting them when new info has
been attained? What's so bad about that.
>>
>>58614079
That picture is pretty funny. But you're acting as if this is a rarity. It happens every election.
>>
>>58614032

Trump is like that asshole back in high school who would make fun of pretty girls to ruin their self-esteem just to get in their pants

then he'd fuck them, give them herpes, and tell everyone else how bad of a lay the girl was (even if he couldn't even get hard)

now he's doing that with the country.
>too many immigrants
>need more industry
>china
>china
>china
>muslims
>democrats

but people don't know that our GDP is over 35% GREATER (18T vs 11T) than the next company down (china) and that our military can project an entire nation's worth of force anywhere on the globe within days. not to mention that between all of our tech manufacturers we are easily leading the way in every worthwhile area (besides autonomous vehicles, that goes to Germany)

seriously, the USA has been kicking ass for so long now, when did we all get dissuaded?
>>
>>58614084
when the usa intervened in wwi
>>
>>58614095
Maybe she meant Hard Breakfast
>>
>>58614046

You're the worst cunt on /g/
>>
>>58614046
Nice alt-facts
>>
>>58614086
Netflix is the service. They make billions of dollars. They could easily afford to pay to build cables directly to Ccomcast, which they ended up doing.
>>
File: cnn.jpg (175KB, 1593x932px) Image search: [Google]
cnn.jpg
175KB, 1593x932px
>>58614097
yeah, that's why it's okay
>>
>>58614100

What about the time you "intervened" in Morroco?
>>
File: Hypocrisy.jpg (83KB, 964x605px) Image search: [Google]
Hypocrisy.jpg
83KB, 964x605px
>>58614079
Anything to keep themselves in power. Why do you think their screeching autistically now? Because their only method of attaining power failed and they can't find any good alternatives, because that would involve creativity
>>
>>58614117
well, if 10 marines can take out an entire moroccan base, i mean. dude, really?
>>
>>58614095
Every other president has done it and Trump promised to do it too. Then he becomes president and admits that he lyed about it.

You shouldn't even get payed for that post. It was so lazy.
>>
>>58614080
Sure, they should keep up with demand, but why should they do it for free? If I suddnely decided that I wanted gigabit internet should I just call up Ccomcast and force them to law down some cables?
>>
>>58614114
Not sure who you're saying is saying that.
It's just that people have portrayed it as some kind of personal Trump attack. It's a political game rather.

Probably happened more to Trump given that more republicans opposed him than normal but still.

The US isn't a role model in anything I can think of.
>>
>>58614130
Yeah, but how many presidents owned a business prior to being president and competitors that probably shouldn't look at company info?
>>
>>58614124
>a dose of their own medicine
Not only are they fully aware of the irony, Trump's agenda is complete shit but keep having fun disingenously posting shit out of context.
>>
File: media.jpg (584KB, 1355x1600px) Image search: [Google]
media.jpg
584KB, 1355x1600px
>>58614124
the entire media coverage of the election was defined by spun stories, pic related
>>
>>58614099

Ineed.

America never stopped winning.

Yet, the alt-media (infowars, Breitbart, etc...) endlessly talked America down until idiots started to believe it.
>>
>>58614028
It's not about not building any new infrastructure, it's about planning and utilizing what infrastructure is built properly.

I'm trying to explain it without oversimplifying it, but if you are comcast or some other ISP, you have a bunch of small networks all interconnected, and then those interconnect points peer out to other networks. You try and privately peer with everyone important because going through a public peering point is shit, So you connect with the other ISP's, you connect with google, etc.

Problem is everyone jumps on netflix when they get home from work. If you only peer with them at one point it's like trying to get a spiderweb to support a baseball.

You end up having to rebuild out your entire network for one site. Or you can put netflix cache servers at all your interconnect points, so the traffic originates from multiple points instead of just one. Then who pays for those servers, their power, their bandwidth, etc.?

This is complicated and nuanced, and it's best that netflix and comcast come to an agreement that works best for both of them.
>>
>>58614132
Nope, they should realize that they need to upgrade to stay competitive. They have a monopoly and no motivation to change anything so nothing changes.
>>
>>58614141
i can think of a few

>inventing the internet
>inventing operating systems
>inventor in elliptic curve cryptography
>most capable and advanced applied mathematics facility in human history (NSA)
>>
>>58614148
Because Trump never went back and forth with his own shit. Quoting a single Trump speech is probably the most unreliable piece of shit source you can think of.
>>
>>58614095
>Why do you want to know his private information?

Knowing where a public official gets their money from is useful to ensure there are no conflicts of interest. Every candidate since Richard Nixon has released their tax returns. Hillary Clinton released like 40 years worth of them. The fact that he lied about releasing them is suspicious.

>Seriously, who cares?
Lying about petty things shows he has no reservations about lying to you about significant things.
>>
>>58614124
that blatant fucking authoritarianism
just kill me already
>>
>>58614164
So I'm entitled to gigabit internet for 5 cents per month simply because they have a monopoly?
>>
File: all.png (880KB, 1809x1495px) Image search: [Google]
all.png
880KB, 1809x1495px
>>58614168
sure, there's no coordinated attack, they all just happened to write the same exact story at the same exact time
>>
>>58614143
>How many presidents had financial stakes that directly conflicted with their political exercise

Not many I hope!
>>
>>58614143
I'm sure there are more than 0. Whatever the number is doesn't change the fact that he promised to release his tax returns and never did.
>>
>>58614180
It was pretty dark tho
And false too.
>>
>>58614161

What the fuck are you talking about?

Do you know what the internet is?

Have you heard of the "back bone"?
>>
File: ap.jpg (96KB, 468x811px) Image search: [Google]
ap.jpg
96KB, 468x811px
>>58614168
>a single
okay, i'm sure they only got this one little tweet wrong as well
>>
>>58614178
You're entitled to Internet at whatever speed is reasonable at a rate that the market can bare. Having a monopoly bypasses the whole concept of a free market.
>>
>>58614090

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_Open_Internet_Order_2010#Litigation

The order was thrown out. The only thing that was upheld was that ISP's have to be transparent about their traffic policies. I.e., they couldn't block something and then tell their customers that it 'must be a problem on their end'. That doesn't need FCC policy, that pretty much falls under standard business truth in advertising and contractual obligation rules.
>>
File: 1450291564171.png (139KB, 354x316px) Image search: [Google]
1450291564171.png
139KB, 354x316px
>>58614180
Or I don't know... copying eachother? Being lazy journalists? Citing the same source?

"coordinated attack", what an idiot.
>>
File: msm.jpg (138KB, 638x840px) Image search: [Google]
msm.jpg
138KB, 638x840px
>>58614185
>it was false

just like every thing else trump said, amirite
>>
>>58614187
Are you retarded? The "back bone" is those public peering points?
>>
>>58614192
And Comcast charged a fair price in the deal with Netflix.
>>
>>58613093
The problem is that it isn't repubs vs Dems.
It's Dems + repubs vs mindless Trump supporters who will stand behind him no matter what he does, even if it hurts them.
>>
File: fb2.jpg (273KB, 808x768px) Image search: [Google]
fb2.jpg
273KB, 808x768px
>>58614194
>i swear, there's no higher ups with an anti-trump agenda pulling strings for the democrats!
>>
>>58614193
>>58614193
>The order was thrown out.
No shit you dumbfuck. The 2015 rules were made in response to that. Verizon had them thrown out.
>>
>>58614196

You silly, silly cunt.
>>
>>58614194
The best part is that the proof of coordinated attack is one fucking adjective.

Go get your tinfoil man, they all use the word "The" a lot, it goes way deeper than you think
>>
File: huff4.jpg (220KB, 1360x576px) Image search: [Google]
huff4.jpg
220KB, 1360x576px
>>58614194
>>58614209
>>i swear, there's no higher ups with an anti-trump agenda pulling strings for the democrats!
>>
>>58614215
>Internet service providers, oftenTier 1 networks, participate in Internet backbone traffic by privately negotiatedinterconnection agreements, primarily governed by the principle of settlement-freepeering.
>>
File: head.jpg (44KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
head.jpg
44KB, 384x384px
>>58614194
well that's easy. it was merely a coincidince
>>
>>58614200
I'm just going to assume that you're being purposefully dense and stop taking to you. Either you're getting paid to shill here or you have a vested interest in getting rid of net neutrality or you're trolling.
>>
>>58614187
>Have you heard of the "back bone"?

Shut up you fucking idiot, there is no 'back bone'. The internet is a collection of private networks that used to connect at public IXP's, but have long since moved on to relying on private interconnect points.

'backbone' implies a top down hierarchy, and no such thing exists on the internet.
>>
>If I keep spamming these shitty images I've been fed through my anus quickier than they can reply to each one individually, they'll think I'm correct and not a shitty poltard grabbing stuff from an archive!
>>
File: 2smug8me.jpg (8KB, 138x200px) Image search: [Google]
2smug8me.jpg
8KB, 138x200px
>>58614145
This totally isn't something someone that's asshurt would post.
>>58614149
>America never stopped winning.
>The Rustbelt losing millions of manufacturing jobs to China and Mexico\
>Doubling the debt in one presidency (Obama)
>Obummer expanding the NSA
>Bad trade deals being passed
>The recovery that never happened in the Rustbelt
>winning
>>58614181
If it's not in the constitution, then how can it be unconstitutional?
>>58614183
Good thing you don't own a business you're too fucking stupid to do anything right.
>>58614204
>Democrats willingly ignoring any sign of corruption in the DNC exposed by Wikileaks by blaming Russia aren't mindless
>>
>>58614227
None of this has anything to do with Net Neutrality anyone, I was just clarifying your misconceptions on the Comcast/Netflix deal. Ultimately, both parties benefitted from the arrangement, Netflix pays less for traffic to Comcast compared to going through middlemen as before, and the congestion problem was solved.
>>
>>58614227

I think it's a shill, or, an ideologue.

Lots of disinformation a troll wouldn't bother with.

I'm concerned /g/ is being targetted.
>>
>>58612878
>Good thing you don't own a business you're too fucking stupid to do anything right.

Lol triggered
>>
>>58614226
That actually could have been a coincidence. I mean the onion was making jokes about the lingering dark cloud of racism looming over the republican party back in 2012
>>
>>58614229
> no such thing exists on the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_backbone

Idiot.
>>
File: 1384640438219.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1384640438219.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>58614246
>Allowing other companies to see your trade secrets is a good thing
>>
>>58614229
>there is no 'back bone'
Geez, someone slept through their networking classes!
>>
>>58614232
>>Doubling the debt in one presidency (Obama)

International Financial Crisis happened under Bush.
>>
>>58614048
>not supporting the paid shill that does what globalist want == supporting crony capitalism

wat...
>>
>>58614254
>>58614262
So which company runs this "back bone"?
>>
>>58614232

>doubling the debt in one presidency
if the USA didn't go into debt, we would have pulled the whole world into another Great Depression

>NSA
no excuses there, that was political cowardice

>bad trade deals
like what? no deals were made

>recovery that never happened in the Rustbelt
because you had a bunch of people who were largely technologically illiterate and refused to accept any other sort of industry besides manufacturing. they had skyrocketing crime rates, pollution out the ass (thanks manufacturing) and sinking education standards. then you look at Ohio, which is right underneath (and led by Kasich) which is doing fantastic with a $2billion surplus because they didn't put all of their eggs into one automotive basket.
>>
>>58614165
Lets say it's as simple as 'the US invented the Internet'.

Why would this make the US a role model? To be a role model you have some way of being that shows yourself to be more efficient than others given the same resources.
The US is a very big place. It would have to have a lot of inventions to compete effectively. And with the Internet so clearly being a shared credit (I doubt anyone would genuinely dispute that) it doesn't even count for a full invention.

So. Now again if you want to find true reasons to consider the US a role model show how its treating its scientists very well and doesn't send security researchers to jail for applying responsible disclosure. For instance.

Also any country could trade one set of advantages for a set of disadvantages. Look at North Korea. They have extremely shitty practically everything. But they can entertain foreign journalists sort of OK.

That doesn't mean we should look to NK for how to treat foreign journalists. They've made a trade.

The fact that there's a large amount of discontent in the US makes it unlikely to find its a role model if you value individuals happiness. If you don't I think you can find lots of instances where the US does well. For instance if you disregard the ethical conundrums of preemption the bush doctrine is superb.
But that's a very narrow view.

So it's my personal opinion that the US isn't a good role model as they make the wrong trades. And I have to amend my previous statement. The US constitution is pretty ok actually. Considering the lackluster constitutions worldwide it does make itself an OK rolemodel.

But if it wasn't clear from this long winded post. To attribute the progress made to US policy directly when contrasted to all the other successful countries is fairly ridiculous.
>>
>>58614032
>>
>>58614274
>2017, doesn't know what the backbone is...

You are a chimp.
>>
>>58614287
TheInternet backbonemay be defined by theprincipal data routesbetween large, strategically interconnectedcomputer networksandcore routerson theInternet. These data routes are hosted by commercial, government, academic and other high-capacity network centers, theInternet exchange pointsandnetwork access points, that exchange Internet traffic between the countries, continents and across the oceans.Internet service providers, oftenTier 1 networks, participate in Internet backbone traffic by privately negotiatedinterconnection agreements, primarily governed by the principle of settlement-freepeering.
So what part of >>58614161 was wrong?
>>
>>58614285

You want a return to the 1950s and the 94% top tax rate?

>InB4 no one paid that! MUH LOOPHOLEs!!1!one!!!!111
>>
>>58614214

Yes. Point being, in the US at least, there was no official enforced net neutrality until 2015, and the internet worked fucking fine until then, and it'll continue to work fine when the FCC net neutrality rules are gone.

Every carrier & provider agrees with the basic premise of net neutrality, and everyone understands that for the internet to work as the internet different carriers can't just block whatever traffic they want.

But the reality that you morons aren't grasping is that in order to make the internet fucking work, you often need to treat different types of traffic from different networks differently, and that is prohibited by the FCC net neutrality order.

That and the reality of the situation is that fiber runs, data centers, routers, etc. are long term investments, have to be planned ahead of time, and take time to build out. If some content provider goes 'viral' and changes the demands on the landscape of the physical infrastructure in place, then they need to bear partial responsibility of either efficiently fitting into the network infrastructure that exists, or partially paying for the roll out to accommodate their traffic, because in a few months that app or service or provider might not be there anymore, or get bought out, or Facebook copies their service and makes them irrelevant.

So far the various networks and content providers that make up the internet have done a pretty good job of keeping things working without the governments 'help', and if you knew your history of how impossible it was to get any innovation out of companies that were FCC regulated, then you'd understand why giving them power over the internet is a bad idea.

Look at how fucking regulated HAM radio is, or wireline telcos, for instance.
>>
>>58614316
Not Comcast. Look how they throttled Netflix.
>>
>>58614302
>TheInternet backbonemay be defined by theprincipal data routesbetween large,

"May" be defined?

Where do you think Nexflix hosts, and where do you think it mirrors around the World?
>>
>>58614316
>net neutrality should and will be implicitly enforced in absence of law. Yeah that's why there hasn't been any lawsuits regarding this at all.
>>
File: poli.png (453KB, 1160x912px) Image search: [Google]
poli.png
453KB, 1160x912px
>>58614252
no lying journalists here
>>
>>58614316
> there was no official enforced net neutrality until 2015, and the internet worked fucking fine until the

You're a retard.
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (42KB, 600x228px) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
42KB, 600x228px
I don't know how anyone could not vote for Trump.

Literally everyone was against him, attacking him, his policies, his appearance, his speeches, his past, comparing him to Hitler and the devil. He took on the ridiculously biased media, the republicans, the democrats, leaders of the world who publicly denounced him, pretty much the entire planet and he fucking won.

Now he's the man who calls the shots and everyone who trashed on him is now sucking his cock.
>>
>>58614282
>because you had a bunch of people who were largely technologically illiterate
> sinking education standards
So everyone should go to school and devalue the value of a degree even further?
>they had skyrocketing crime rates
I know this is bullshit but source?
>pollution out the ass
Again source?
> which is doing fantastic with a $2billion surplus because they didn't put all of their eggs into one automotive basket.
>Manufacturing==The automotive industry
AUTISM

Have some respect for the working class you fucking twit. They were the reason America was once great and cunts like you who think that because you have some piece of paper you're better than them ought to wise up to that fact. They may not be perfect, but they sure as hell know what life is all about more than you ever will you stupid piece of shit.
>>
>>58614359
Sounds rather homoerotic when you put t like that anon.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 228x221px
You anti-Trump morons still don't fucking get it. This guy is the ANTI-Clinton, ANTI-Obama, ANTI-politic bullshit president. Obama would tweet shit like: "Happy New Year to a proud nation of diverse people and empowered women!" You know, Trudeau shit. This guy is making it clear: The days of peak cuck are over. If you stood in his way, he's going to fuck you over.
>>
>>58614335
This is directly from Wikipedia. If you have any objections you are free to bring your own definition.

I imagine Netflix has severs at many different locations around the world. That does not change the fact that they were congesting public interconnect points to last mile ISPs.
>>
>>58614316
>there was no official enforced net neutrality until 2015
The FCC had established the 2010 rules under the assumption that they were official and that they would be able to enforce them. They tried to enforced them it's just that the courts decided they didn't have the authority to enforce them, *at that time.* Due to the 90s telecommunications act ISPs were reclassified as "information services". By changing them to information services they relinquished their authority to regulate them like a utility. The court suggested that the FCC reclassify them back to being communications services and then they could regulate them. So in 2015 after a lot of debating and complaints being thrown at the FCC that's what they did
>>
>>58613517
Yes they are
>>
>>58614323
Boo fucking hoo. It was arm twisting to bring them both to the table to negotiate a deal, and it worked. And again, it wasn't 'throttled', they just let netflix route their traffic through the public peering points with the rest of the freeloaders. Turns out that wasn't a technically acceptable solution, so guess what, they hammered out a mutually beneficial private peering arrangement that comcast, netflix, and the end users all benefited from.

Free market wins again.
>>
>>58614339
And in which of those lawsuits were the ISP found guilty?
>>
>>58614373

It's apparent reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

I'm glad you now accept the internet backbone does exist.
>>
>>58613517
Here's another one, note everyone who voted against trump voted for Hilary.
Myself included.
>>
>>58614382

This.
>>
>>58614406
The "back bone" doesn't exist in the sense that there is one single cable where all internet traffic goes through.
>>
File: r[1].jpg (29KB, 702x468px) Image search: [Google]
r[1].jpg
29KB, 702x468px
>>58614369
You can see the cum on his lip.

Maybe he should have shut the fuck up instead of publicly and proudly attacking Trump.

Hopefully NAFTA is shredded and Mexico burns to the ground.
>>
>>58614419

You're a chimp.
>>
>>58614400
Yes forcing Netflix to spend more money to build "fast lanes" and pass on the cost to the user benefits everyone involved!
>>
>>58614382
ISP's were never a public utility. The FCC tried to pretend that they were. Stop trying to pretend that the FCC had any official regulatory authority over the ISP's prior to 2015. This is settled case law.
>>
>>58614431
What is your point? What was your original point in the 'back bone" comment? You haven't used any arguments other than calling people names.
>>
>>58612905
>>>/pol/
>>
>>58614403
Why does that even matter? The lawsuits are disputes over net neutrality. You're claiming there's universal agreement.
If there's disputes there's not universal agreement.
>>
>>58614447

If you say retarded things, I'll call you a chimp.
>>
File: 1485140923039.png (46KB, 1096x842px) Image search: [Google]
1485140923039.png
46KB, 1096x842px
>>58614453
>>
>>58614438
Nice post comrade. Nobody will suspect a thing.
>>
>>58614467
Ok, I can accuse you of murder. We will never know the truth, but in my mind you are a murderer.
>>
>>58614425
Wasn't there riots there over the devaluing of the peso and gas prices?
>>
>>58614474
>>>/pol/
>>
>>58614438
So a better solution than netflix passing the cost on to netflix users, would have been for comcast to build these 'fast lanes' and pass the cost on to all comcast users, regardless of whether that user used netflix or not?

Because that is the fucking crux of what the 'net neutrality' fight is about. The content providers want the ISP's to subsidize their network infrastructure and have the ISP's be the ones who have to raise rates, on everyone, rather than just those people who use that particular service.

Someone has to pay for the network build out, and it's going to be the end user either way. The question is do you want it to show up on your netflix bill, or your comcast bill?
>>
>>58614485
fuck off murderer
>>
>>58614469
So you have no arguments to offer other than name calling?
>>
>>58614497
Good good. You can go back to Comcast and tell them that you convinced 4chan that net neutrality is unnecessary. I bet you get a nice bonus for that.
>>
>>58614485
Well if you really want a lawsuit to look at, redundant as it is. Look at the US broadband industry vs the FCC. Concluded November 2014.
United states ISP directly disputing net neutrality rules.
>>
>>58614440
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996#October_2006

>The Act makes a significant distinction between providers of telecommunications services and information services. The term 'telecommunications service' means the offering of telecommunications for a fee directly to the public, or to such classes of users as to be effectively available directly to the public, regardless of the facilities used.' On the other hand, the term 'information service' means the offering of a capability for generating, acquiring, storing, transforming, processing, retrieving, utilizing, or making available information via telecommunications, and includes electronic publishing, but does not include any use of any such capability for the management, control, or operation of a telecommunications system or the management of a telecommunications service. The distinction comes into play when a carrier provides information services. A carrier providing information services is not a 'telecommunications carrier' under the act. For example, a carrier is not a 'telecommunications carrier' when it is selling broadband Internet access. This distinction becomes particularly important because the act enforces specific regulations against 'telecommunications carriers' but not against carriers providing information services. With the convergence of telephone, cable, and internet providers, this distinction has created much controversy.
>>
>>58614509

If you stop strawmanning I'll stop calling you a chimp.
>>
>>58614542
Let's start over. What do you consider to be "net neutrality", and how do you think it should be enforced?
>>
>>58614524
I was referring to cases where ISPs were accused of blocking or slowing down internet traffic of specific customers deliberately. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
>>
>>58614567
> What do you consider to be "net neutrality"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

>and how do you think it should be enforced?

https://www.fcc.gov/general/open-internet
>>
>>58614518

Actually, I used to own and run an ISP that was pretty much run put out of business by comcast / charter.

I'm not pro comcast. I am just anti FCC, having seen first hand how badly their regulations are fucked up and how much of a hindrance it was on the development of the internet.

>>58614527

You think that proves your point, but it doesn't.

Basically, ISP's built their networks on top of 'telecommunications services' (buying DS0,T1,T3, or OC class fcc regulated service from telcos) or stringing their own cable / fiber, wireless, etc. and interconnecting it. Basically all this is saying is 'just because you run your network over an FCC regulated telecommunications service, that doesn't mean your network is FCC regulated.
>>
>>58614604
>how much of a hindrance it was on the development of the internet.

Total nonsense.
>>
>>58614597
>No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
Makes QoS at the ISP level impossible, degrading internet traffic during periods of congestion.

>No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no "fast lanes."
Not sure what this means, the wording is pretty vague. Is my gigabet connection that I am paying more for a "fast lane" compared to my neighbor's slower connection?
>>
>>58614648
>Makes QoS at the ISP level impossible,

It's apparent you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>58614656
I guess having a civil conversation is impossible. The militant left at it's finest.
>>
>>58614669
>left

I guess you're one of these "alt-facts" people.

ISP network load has nothing to do with the data content that reaches consumers.
>>
>>58614713
If the requested traffic is over capacity, then packets must be dropped.
>>
>>58614731

All data is equal, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>58614756
So it prevents QoS, which hurts the user experience of consumers.
>>
>>58614761

Do you know what a "buffer" is?
>>
>>58614604
My understanding is that prior to the 1996 telecommunications act all communications services were regulated by the 1934 communications act which established title II common carriers and such. In 1996 the telecommunications act split communications services into information services and telecommunications services. ISPs somehow became information services which freed them from the regulations of title II that would normally be applied to them and then in 2010 new rules were applied anyway. In 2014 the rules were thrown out because the FCC didn't have the authority and then in 2015 the FCC reclassified ISPs again and re-applied title II regulations.
>>
>>58614768
So some packets are delayed instead of dropped, which also hurts user experience. Furthermore, the buffer will fill up extremely fast and will not help during sustained periods of over capacity load.
>>
>>58614785

How oftern are ISP so overloaded they can't stream video?

It's not happened to me even once since I got DSL broadband in 2001. Any problems with the connection has been at my end with too many downloads.

You're talking shit.
>>
>>58614756
>All data is equal, it doesn't matter.

No.

Different protocols handle lost packets differently. If you drop TCP packets, then your network will become even more congested as they will need to be resent, along with the coresponding ACK/NAK packets) UDP doesn't necessarily result in retransmits, depending on the protocol.

And then streaming protocols are designed to drop down to a lower bitrate during congestion. So, depending on how you choose which packets to drop you can either have:

a. streaming video dropping from 4K to 1080p, alleviating the network congestion for everyone at the expense of reduced video quality during peak times.

or

b. a shitstorm of packet retransmissions further congesting an already overloaded pipe making absolutely nothing work for anyone.

It most certainly fucking matters, and this is why ISP's need to be able to implement QoS policies .
>>
>>58614781
Not quite. ISP's were never considered telecomunications service providers, all the 2006 addendum to the 1996 telcom act did was clarify that.
>>
>>58614816
https://www.measurementlab.net/blog/interconnection_and_measurement_update/
Of course, network degredation depends a lot on the location of the endpoints and the topology, and your experiences may differ from others.
>>
>>58614827

Yes, all data is equal.

UDP? Why are you even mentioning UDP you mad cunt?

ISPs have an enormous amount of redundency already. Any problems with streaming will be at the useres end.

You're discussing a non-problem.
>>
>>58614866
>Of course, network degredation depends a lot on the location of the endpoints and the topology, and your experiences may differ from others

Yes, someone on a 56kbps dial up won't have the same user experience as a fiber customer.

If the ISP's network has bottle necks, that's the ISP's fault.
>>
>>58614877
Holy fuck. I've been arguing with a shitposting aussie this whole time.

We need fucking flags on /g/ so I know who isn't worth replying to.
>>
>>58614897
These bottlenecks would be even more pronounced without QoS enforcement.
>>
>>58614923

If there're are significant bottlenecks in the first place, the ISP should take itself outside and have a word with itself.
>>
>>58614938
That's not how the world works.
>>
>>58614669
>The militant left at it's finest.

Ah, you've revealed your hand.

For you, this isn't about data and services, it's about ideology.

You're on the wrong board. /pol/ is that way ---->
>>
File: 1478497842064.jpg (400KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1478497842064.jpg
400KB, 785x757px
HAIL TRUMP OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.
FUCK THE LEFT.
>>
The collective leftist millennial butthurt with this election is so satisfying. Thanks for bringing it to /g/ too. Don't forget to kill yourselves before bedtime.
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.