[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://news.microsoft.com/2016/11/ 16/microsoft-contributes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (25KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
25KB, 1280x720px
https://news.microsoft.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-contributes-to-open-ecosystem-by-joining-linux-foundation-and-welcoming-google-to-the-net-community/#sm.0000eweu36s6rcz8uzy257hyeo6c7

What tha hell is going on????????
>>
>>58607120

>What tha hell is going on????????

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish
>>
>>58607120
>.NET
>Google
Nothing of value gained
>>
>>58607149
Nah Linux is too big to fail.
>>
>>58607120
Didn't read the argument but every move made by a company, especially ones as large as M$hit, is motivated by money.
>>
>>58607120
>Guthrie also demonstrated a preview of Visual Studio for Mac
my fucking sides
>>
>>58607174
We had said the same thing about Mozilla. We said the same thing about SUN/Oracle. We said the same thing about RHEL. These people are being extorted for money because these companies have them by the balls for something. By effectively letting the most harmful software companies into the FOSS community, they're going to start subverting the culture.

Microsoft sees FOSS as a threat to their ecosystems, which is why their products have been more and more restrictive to their own products and locking 3rd party providers out. Even clients like US Govt. are starting to switch their infrastructure to more Unix/Linux based options because of the ridiculous licensing, legal and configuration issues, which costs the USG more money. USG finally sees through this shit and is starting to stick it to people like Oracle, who effectively has ripped them off for something like patches, as if the boxes and licensing in itself wasn't costly enough already.

They're losing big clients and they're trying to make up for it by trying to look like one of the good guys.
>>
>>58607649
>Even clients like US Govt. are starting to switch their infrastructure to more Unix/Linux based options because of the ridiculous licensing, legal and configuration issues, which costs the USG more money.
They very much arent switching. The amount of training required to switch isnt worth it. Also, you got any sources?
>>
>>58607649
Nobody ever said that about Firefox.
The reason people used it was because it was the only free alternative that worked and it had tabs.

Nobody gives a shit about it now.
>>
File: 1478477471785.png (880KB, 1979x2186px) Image search: [Google]
1478477471785.png
880KB, 1979x2186px
>>58608371
Source, I work for USG. They're trying to put it wherever they can to replace Windows Server and Solaris on their backbone. All of the systems that have extended uptime requirements are running either RHEL, SUSE or Solaris. Solaris is slowly being phased out due to Oracle layoffs, and the confirmed rumors of Solaris 12 being killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters#U.S.

https://www.linux.com/news/why-linux-works-government

Training does not matter. Under new RMF requirements, not only being used DoD wide, but are being adopted by other agencies, require all personnel with admin access to have certain certifications ( IAT Certification requirements). So you cannot just be some baby boomer with a lot of experience anymore and no certifications to back that up to touch a machine you need admin access to use. It also keeps the college know-it-alls from touching systems without those certifications. Their biggest thing surrounding it is insider threat control, and RHEL has far more expansive access control capability than Windows.

>>58608400
>Nobody ever said that about Firefox.
Where were you the last 5 years?
>>
>>58608720
How is SUSE any good?
>>
>>58607149
I came here to post this
>>
>>58608792
-IBM Power support
-Scalability
-Easy administration tools

Those are just the baseline things that make it more attractive than RHEL. RHEL is catching up though.
>>
>>58607120

MS wants their botnet to be spread though Linux distros by "contributing".

You all were enjoying too much freedom from the NSA, and Bill gates wants to watch all of your fap.
>>
>>58608907
So systemd is an attack on freedom from another angle? Nothing good can come of centralization.
>>
>>58608720
>Where were you the last 5 years?
Using webkit like everyone else :3
>>
>>58607149
The GPL makes the last step legally impossible to complete.
>>
>>58608981
Not when you're dealing with Microsoft. Don't forget the lawsuits they caused over the decades. if it's strategically worth it to do something illegally, they will do it.
>>
>>58608371
Yes they are, shill.
>>
>>58607120
WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK
>>
File: lupin hangs himself.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lupin hangs himself.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>58607149
first post best post

jesus fucking christ
>>
>>58607649
>We had said the same thing about Mozilla.
Not only did no one say that but Mozilla is still around.
>>
>>58608994
Every single maintainer of the kernel has a copy of it. There's hundreds of thousands of developers and hundreds to thousands of people who are around as competent as Linus. Microsoft cannot afford to hire out every single developer and even if they hired all of the main devs there's nothing stopping new people from taking over where they left off. Even if Microsoft somehow took over the main repo there would be dozens of forks immediately created because *no one* trusts Microsoft.
>>
>>58612823
You underestimate the power of money.
>>
it seems like every iteration of windows steals some feature that has existed on linux for years. I thought it was funny how excited some people got over multiple workspaces on windows. might as well adopt them.
>>
>>58612853
Nah, destroying Linux would destroy Microsoft, because then a worthwhile alternative desktop OS might get made.

Windows 10 literally only has users because there isn't a mainstream alternative that isn't Mac OS.
>>
>>58612853
There's nothing Microsoft can do. It's completely out of their hands. Even if they took over the main repo they wouldn't gain anything from it they couldn't close the source code and closing it off wouldn't do them any good.
>>
>>58612866
No, Microsoft steals from Apple after Apple has refined what it stole from Linux.
>>
>>58612875
>>58612892
Then for what reason are they trying to hitch their wagon onto Linux? Their fellatio all over having bash is disturbing.
>>
>>58612896
ok, I can buy some of that but the uI definitely feels ripped off of Kde. I know kde is suppose to be a ripoff of windows but kde will do its own unique twist and have some original stuff in the design and then you'll see the same idea in a later windows version.
>>
>>58612936
Why the fuck would M$ rip off a rip off of their rip off?
>>
>>58612896
Nigga, Apple stole from BSD. Get your facts straight.
>>
>>58612911
Well I don't exactly know what their goal is but I can guess.

They may be looking to rebuild their image with developers who see Winders as a antiqued platform. The head Pajeet at Microsoft decided embracing Linux and open source is a good way to attract new talent and compatibility with Linux is useful because it helps them expand their cloud platform Azure to a wider audience. The Linux layer in Windows 10 replaces the old POSIX layer from Windows 8 and prior.
>>
>>58607120
RIP Loonix.
>>
>>58612943
look at windows 7. it looks like a polished up ripoff of kde from the early 2000s
>>
>>58612943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI

they're pretty shameless about it.
>>
It's because of azure. That's pretty much it.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.