[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How true is this? Someone once told me directories aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
How true is this? Someone once told me directories aren't real in linux. What really is going on is the full name of a file actually includes the pseudo directories it's stored under. The os just happens to sort all of it's file by the names. So when you move a file you're actually just renaming it. For all practical purposes to the users it's stored in a new directory.
>>
No, that's completely wrong
>>
It could work like that but it would be retarded because you would lose on codification of subdirectories that could save time and resources.
>>
maybe this is what you are referring to? it's literally the first google result.

http://www.linfo.org/inode.html

>When a file is created, it is assigned both a name and an inode number, which is an integer that is unique within the filesystem. Both the file names and their corresponding inode numbers are stored as entries in the directory that appears to the user to contain the files. That is, the directory associates file names with inodes.

>Whenever a user or a program refers to a file by name, the operating system uses that name to look up the corresponding inode, which then enables the system to obtain the information it needs about the file to perform further operations. That is, a file name in a Unix-like operating system is merely an entry in a table with inode numbers, rather than being associated directly with a file (in contrast to other operating systems such as the Microsoft Windows systems). The inode numbers and their corresponding inodes are held in inode tables, which are stored in strategic locations in a filesystem, including near its beginning.

>a directory holds only the names of the files that appear to the user to be contained in it and their inode numbers
>>
>>58603457
This was explained to me fucklong ago so it might be wrong but how i remember it is this:
Basically inside each folder there's a bunch of metadata, one of this data is a reference to the folder it's stored under, all of the folders do this recursively until you arrive at root, whose parent directory is itself
>>
>>58603457
Well, it's being moved to another physical location on the harddrive, that's for sure.
>>
>>58603594
I don't think it actually is.
>>
>>58603504
your google-fu is superior to mine. I must have used some shitty keywords.
>>
>>58603594
Copying? Yes
Moving? No. The data stays where it is. The only thing that changes are the pointers.

You never noticed that when you copy and paste a file it goes through a lengthy bit with progress bar and stuff, but when you Cut>Paste it's immediate?
>>
>>58603642
I accidentally left out the "not"
>>
>>58603594
Only if you move a file to a different partition.

If you move a file to another place in its partition, just the inode is moved.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.