[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i bought a digital vt-62 terminal because i thought it was an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

i bought a digital vt-62 terminal because i thought it was an old pc is there a use for it at all?
pic related
>>
If you can figure out how to connect it to an electronic door lock you can do some really cool fallout 4 -esque door code thingy

Otherwise, not much, i know theres one anon here who has it connected to a linux terminal for fun
>>
>>58592526
guess you can connect it to a *nic computer and use it as a text only terminal via a serial port
>>
>>58592557
ok follow up i plugged it in and it started smoking (the ground wire was cut) can i fix that
>>
>>58592670
Depends what got hot and burned up
>>
>>58592670
I think you would be better just trashing the thing.

I mean come the fuck on, you just plugged a 40 year old piece of equipment which sat in god knows what conditions to mains.
>>
>>58592783
i dont see amything burnt
>>
>>58592526
Pics with timestamp, else just shitty bait.
>>
>>58592526
Salvage the keycaps for shits and gigs
>>
>>58593790
here ya go
>>
>>58592526
Anon that looks really cool. I would see if you could find a teardown then think of a way to put a raspberry pi inside.
>>
>>58593889
>instead of using the serial pins on the Pi and using it as a terminal
k
>>
>>58592526
>>58592670
>>58593888
>gets a VT terminals
>brakes it
Kek, why did you even get it if you're too dumb to know what to do with it? Even if it was actually a full computer, you still seem too dumb to know what to do with it.
>>
File: fAD8q.jpg (33KB, 450x470px) Image search: [Google]
fAD8q.jpg
33KB, 450x470px
Have you considered turning it into an aquarium?
>>
>>58592526
they'll hook up to any properly configured *nix system and look nice while they do it, that's really all there is to it

I believe there were also PDP-8 compatible computers built within the VT52 chassis, maybe you can figure out how to turn it into one if you can source the parts

>>58592828
>>58593999
please don't encourage the further destruction of rare pieces of tech that still have useful parts or a chance to be resurrected

OP looks like he got one in pretty good shape and even if he can't fix it he can still part it out, there's a lot of beaten up working pieces out there that could use new shells and keycaps for example

it also looks like a pretty particularly rare VT52 variant that probably didn't sell in huge numbers to begin with, sure someone would love to get their hands on it if OP doesn't want to mess with fixing/using it.
>>
>>58593982

i didnt know the ground was cut plus i found it in the trash at my library all i did was turn it on also are vts rare or something?
>>58593999
no and i dont wanna poor computer
>>
>>58594131
VT's are just awesome, perfect serial terminals
>>
>>58594124
it says vt-62 and where could i sell it
(fuck ebay)
>>
>>58594124
Why are you bothering? These people don't care, they would smash it with a sledge hammer just for keks and butthurts of others.
>>
>>58594174
op here i wanna preserve it as much as possible im a tech nerd that loves old tech
>>
>>58594200
Good that you got it then, have fun!
>>
>>58592619
Not OP but I also have an old terminal that I like. Do you know how to actually do this? I tried finding info on what to actually do on the nix/ux machine to connect the shell to the serial port but failed.

Right now the terminal is just plugged into an old network switch but that is pretty boring on the terminal. Id like to get it on a nix box and show some ascii art or something on it.
>>
>>58594153
what region do you live in? maybe there's a DEC collector nearby that might be interested if you really feel you'd rather get rid of it

you could also try the vintage computing forums or maybe even nekochan since there are a few big iron collectors hanging around those parts

>>58594174
doesn't hurt to type out a paragraph expressing it, there are a lot of people out there who really just don't know about the stuff so assume nobody wants it, I deal with it all the time

>>58594419
look up a serial console tutorial for your chosen distro, did you try it with a null modem cable and make sure the terminal was properly configured as well?
>>
>>58594527
whats a good forum?
>>
>>58594419

getty

As a first step, try setting up minicom or using gnu screen to talk back and forth between a window and the terminal, to verify that the connection works and you have the right baud rate.
>>
>>58594754
mentioned two of them in there, vcforum's a decent bet since it has a wide audience
there's probably some others but I don't really know
>>
>>58592557
Have it SSH into a network of raspberry pis/arduinos that control various parts of your house electronically
>>
>>58596039
>Have it SSH
wut
>>
>>58596090
there's a lot of empty space in the chassis, he can probably throw an SBC in there with a serial GPIO expansion and do it that way
>>
>>58594419
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html

literally this easy
>>
>>58596296
Or just hide a Pi in it, Pis GPIO has RS-232 serial and Pi 3's have WiFi on board, would make for an awesome terminal, even wireless.
>>
>>58596331
yeah that was pretty much what I was saying
even DEC exploited that potential with the VT78, it would get OP that cool PC he was looking for at least
>>
Sell they keyboard to some nerds from geekhack or deskauthority. Someone will probably give you a few hundred bucks for it.
>>
>>58596479
>enabling keyboard hipsters
how about you go fuck yourself unironically
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.