[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Java was originally invented as a language for use in Embedded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: kekus.png (88KB, 279x200px) Image search: [Google]
kekus.png
88KB, 279x200px
>Java was originally invented as a language for use in Embedded Devices

And how's that working out?
>>
It's pretty popular on mobile phones.
>>
Chink IoT botnet devices use it.
>>
>>58588026
That's different, that's the application layer.
>>
>>58587562
Pretty fucking well, actually. Ever heard of things called "SIM cards"?
>>
>>58587562
Did you receive a card from your bank? It runs java.
>>
>>58587562
Considered it powers/ed DVD players and the IME botnet, pretty well.
>>
>>58587562
>i dont know what the chips on credit cards run
welcome newfriend
how is the south hemisphere summer?
>>
>>58589136
Specious claim.
http://superuser.com/questions/362567/are-there-any-credit-cards-that-run-java
>>
>>58589153
>stackoverflow
come back once youve actually touched a credit/smart card internals
>>
>>58587562
>I have no idea what Im talking about but I heard that Java sucks
>>
>And how's that working out?

Pretty well. This board likes to embed Android phones into their rectums.
>>
>>58589153
>>58589192
even bluray players run java...
>>
>>58587562
About one third of embedded GUI stuff is Java, another is Qt, the rest is crude shit for the most part.
>>
Pretty good. Most credit cards use it.
>>
>>58587562
I think it's aight. Some arm chips even have a jazelle mode, it's like a jvm implementation but in hardware or something
>>
>>58589229
Which ones?

Man, neo-/g/ is terrible.
>>
>>58590272
All.
BD+ is essentially Java.

The OS in smartchips (SIM, credicards etc.) is Java.
>>
And then everyone stole it from Oracle
>>
>>58587562
Better than you'd expect
>>
>>58588887
>That's different, that's the application layer.
Not sure if retarded
>>
>>58588991
My card doesn't even have a chip

t. Murrifag
>>
Java is actually a successful platform, despite what some people on /g/, stack-overflow, and reddit try to imply.

Not perfect obviously, but more than good enough and with many real world usage successes. A valid criticism would be that Java isn't ambitious enough and hasn't got enough academic interest (which is by design and still Java is probably the most common language universities teach). But surely this can't be the reason Java is being constantly attacked.

Java is good now even by GNU standards

>https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
>Since this article was first published, Sun (now part of Oracle) has relicensed most of its Java platform reference implementation under the GNU General Public License, and there is now a free development environment for Java. Thus, the Java language as such is no longer a trap.

I don't think the "Java is bad" meme is a product of ignorant memers but it is another organised MS shilling operation. Especially because Java attacks are followed by promotion of C# and .NET (while overlooking their problems - MS/Windows only environment, license problems, bloat) and because they are attacking successful Java use-cases (embedded, mobile) in an attempt to promote substandard MS products (Windows embedded, Windows phone, UWP, etc).

>tl;dr;
The next time there is an attack on Java keep in mind it might be the handy work of paid MS operatives (shills)
>>
>>58592177
itt freetard bots
>>
>>58592177
>MS/Windows only environment
A literal lie, there are official CoreFX CI builds for most Linux and BSD distributions and OS X. Mono supports even more platforms.

>license problems
CoreFX (the now-reference implementation of the .NET Framework), Roslyn (the reference C# compiler), ASP.NET and Razor (ASP.NET renderer) are all licensed under Apache.

>bloat
Even Mono outperforms the JVM on all platforms. However, I will admit that both are pretty fucking bloated.
>>
>>58587562
3 Billion devices run Java, OP. Stop being such a faggot.
>>
>>58592221
>>58592251
Like clockwork, MS must be desperate

15 years after .NET and C# introduction large parts of Windows are still not using it
explorer.exe still hasn't been ported to C# and .NET
VS Code, the cross platform text editor by MS (shit by the way) is not using C# and .NET
Windows 10, Windows phone and UWP (all shit) is not using C# and .NET
If .NET and C# are so good why isn't even Microsoft using it?

C# and .NET haven't powered any successful software project.
Everything that was made in .NET was bloated and slow (eg AMD/ATI Catalyst drivers)/
Mono hasn't powered any successful open source project, and everyone powered by it was slow and bloated.
Powershell (a .NET project) is slow and bloated and is a project that is trying to lock users to the MS platform.

Finally, not all of .NET is an open implementation as MS proclaims
Winforms (a necessary part of full .NET compliance) is not part of the reference implementation
Therefore "open" .NET is a MS trap.

Avoid .NET and Mono at all costs
>>
>>58592431
>explorer.exe still hasn't been ported to C# and .NET
why

>C# and .NET haven't powered any successful software project.
MS Visual Studio :^)
>>
>>58592466
>>C# and .NET haven't powered any successful software project.
Except predator drones.
>>
>>58587562
great
most dvd players and bluray players run java
>>
>>58587562
> every VOIP desk phone in every office ever
>>
>>58592857
Meant in reply to >>58592431
>>
>>58592466
>MS Visual Studio
>crashes all the time
>builds often fail for seemingly no reason
>vcxproj files don't work at all with git
>>
>>58592948
When the fuck was the last time you used VS?
>>
>>58589136
>credit card
>chips
No such thing
>>
>>58587562
>how's that working out?

isn't Intel ME use java bytecode?
>>
>>58592962
About 6 months ago when I booted for the last time on fucking Windows

Fucking VS was taking ages to start and was asking me to sign in with an MS account

Shill all you want on .NET being faster than JVM but NetBeans (made in Java) starts faster than VS even on fucking Windows. On Linux it's like I have a brand new CPU, that's how much faster it is.
>>
>>58589192
I know there's a Java API that can be used in bank card chips but I've never found an actual source that confirms that Java was used for any real world credit or debit card chip. Not saying it's untrue it's just very hard to find sources and I'd be happy if someone could hook me up
>>
>>58592177
this.

java isn't some patented bullshit pajeet M$ shit with nonfree M$ libs. oh but don't worry, Mono is free as in freedom despite violating M$ patents if you build it yourself and the fact that projects like Powershell require like 5-7 nonfree M$ libs like most .NET bullshit projects do.
>>
>>58590605
>My card has unencrypted data stored on a magnetic strip and I want advanced niggers to steal from me with card skimmers
>>
>>58593655
>Call credit card company
>report fraud
>get all my money back
Wow so hard
>>
>>58587562
Not bad anon, not bad. Could support more of modern java functionalities but its understandable at small footprint.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/overview/index.html
>>
>>58593867
>Having to waste my time on phone with some dude instead of doing something else
cuck
>>
>>58592177
>>58593501
Nobody fucking cares about or recommends C# or .NET. Java is shit, if you want to code without wanting to kill yourself you use python, ruby or elixir.
>>
Intels management engine runs java
>>
>>58594173
But Python is even slower than Java
>>
Java is only bad because of the retarded imports.
>>
>>58594173
C
>>
>>58594424
OPfag isn't laughing now.
>>
>>58592177
The day java devs are paid more than anyone else on average is the day the language "dies"

all this enterprise shit is paying for multiple trips to europe and my next house.
>>
>>58597173
>*paid less
>>
Considering Android, it seems like it's doing exactly what it wanted to do.

Virtual Machines are ideal for embedded systems, hence why Bell Labs uses Limbo+Dis for their embedded OS, Inferno
>>
>>58590596
You don't know what you're talking about
>>
Gr8 b8 m8 master raCe
>>
>>58597237
Do they really use it? I doubt it, they dont even develop it anymore, another company does. Not to mention Inferno is hardly relevant
>>
>>58597861
Well they sold it to vita nuova, but it was designed by Rob Pike and Ken to be the perfect embedded systems OS. It was used in several devices, I don't know how vita nuova uses it.
>>
>>58593033
This is my experience with VS as well...
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.