[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.fool.com/investing/2017/ 01/19/intel-corporation-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 7

File: Intel-logo.svg.png (51KB, 1280x849px) Image search: [Google]
Intel-logo.svg.png
51KB, 1280x849px
http://www.fool.com/investing/2017/01/19/intel-corporation-looking-to-build-revolutionary-p.aspx

>Our goal: to build a revolutionary microprocessor core to power the next decade of computing and create experiences we have yet to dream up. We're looking for micro-architecture, logic design, and high-speed circuit design talent to help us reinvent the Core IP.

THANK YOU BASED INTEL

AYYMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT
>>
So basically Intel admits it doesn't have good engineers to make something better than the bolted on Pentium Pro core they've been using til now?
>>
>>58580208
>another decade
Another decade on the same fucking core? No, fuck you.
Intel is dead.
There's no way they can respond to ARM with this kind of attitude.
>>
>>58580208
sry intel but tegra already exist
>>
>>58580826
HAAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>58580826
Tegra is a bigger joke than Bulldozer and Netburst combined.
Especially Denver.

>2016
>in-order core
>>
Judging by the ASTOUNDING SUCCESS that the Itanium moonshot was, I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>58580880
Don't forget Larabee, that shit's a more spectacular failure than IA64
>>
>>58580208
>Intel
>Got blueprints from IBM
>didn't want to deviate at all from them
>AMD found more optimal way of doing things right away
>Cyrix backwards engineered a better x86 CPU that what Intel ever could
>Only way Intel could survive was shady business tactics

Intel was always 10 years behind competition.
>>
inb4 IoT smart processor
>>
>>58580920
$25 a pop and Intel thinks it will be able to sell them to a market that buys literally BILLIONS of these a quarter.
>>
>>58580879
>Well gentlemen Fermi wasn't memed nearly hard enough. What can we do to fix that?
>Make our own lackluster cell modems?
>Try to sue Samsung for something pointless and then immediately lose?
>I've got it!
>The ARM architecture is known for fitting well into exceedingly small power envelopes
>Gentlemen. We at Nvidia are going to design the hottest running ARM core ever designed.
>Its going to be such a shit heap that no one will even buy it, and we'll put it in a set top box that pulls 40w from the wall.

Truly a company with vision.
>>
>>58581026
Remember the "ninja core"? It lasted approximately around 4 months.
>>
>>58581071
Wasn't that just some shitty Cortex A5 core meant for decoding audio and crap and not a custom one?
>>
>>58580717
They're saying they need a new starting point, they've milked this one damn near dry. Its still not coming any time soon though, and you can bet they're going to break compatibility with everything outside of emulation.
>>
>>58581451
>We are going to try and make Itanium v2, trust us guys it will be good.
>>
Wait a fucking second, they haven't even STARTED on the new core? It will take at least 4 years from whitepaper to retail, and I doubt they're starting tomorrow if they're fishing for engineers.

Yeah, late 2021 at earliest.
>>
Should have poached Jim from AMD when he left, but at that time Intel didn't know it would be uncompetitive outside of x86 so they thought they could milk the P6 core
>>
>>58581476
>AMD comes out with the Pure64 ISA and cucks intel once again
The future is looking good

>>58581488
They'll probably announce it in 2020, and we won't see it trickle out until 2022 or sometime around there.
Mobile Cannonlake parts will launch end of 2017.
Mainstream desktop platform for 2018 is Coffee Lake, still a 14nm part.
The low power Ice Lake will launch in 2018
We'll probably see desktop Cannonlake in 2019, unless they skip it all together, and just launch Ice Lake on the desktop.
After Ice Lake comes Tiger lake, the 3rd generation of 10nm chips.
If they keep up the same launch cadence then it'll be low power mobile Tiger lake in late 2019, and desktop Tiger Lake in 2020.

I'm sure they'll milk a higher clocking refresh out of at least one 10nm part to buy themselves more time. Intel hasn't been doing to well these past few years, and it looks like they have nothing but trouble ahead. Major foundry issues leading to terrible yields at 14nm. They've had to stick with it for 4 years, 4 generations of chips.
Now we know they already have 3 generations of 10nm chips coming, and it could be even more than that, yield issues with the node are already known.
>>
Jim Keller is nothing but a hack that left after seeing how Rypoo is gonna fail

Intel is so far ahead, AYYMD belongs in the dustbin of history, uncompetitive garbage company supported by Drumpf morons
>>
>>58581026
In their defense the tegra was a well tuned powerhouse for a few generations. I have a K1 and it's more or less just a beefy penta-core. It works great as a dev board.
>>
>>58581813
Tegra is either reference ARM cores or custom ARM cores in case of denver, which was used in like 2 devices IIRC.

reference ARM cores aren't powerful and Denver was a housefire.
>>
>>58581616
I wonder if the ARM K12 core got put on the back burner because it really will turn out to be the higher performance design. Microsoft at least seems to think there is something to ARM having a large presence. The demo of Windows 10 running on a Qualcomm SoC wasn't showing off the potential for a phone or tablet, it was showing off the potential for a transitional period in enterprise software.

It could be ARM vs whatever intel comes up with on the desktop in 5 years.
>>
>>58581967
Yeah nah that's not happening, ARM might take over some markets like networking and high-density servers, but that's it.
ARM doesn't have the libraries, software, support, interconnects nor architecture and partners for a push at anything bigger.
And these things take more than a few years to fix.
>>
>>58580208
They already have half the engineers who worked on Ryzen. Why do they need more?
>>
>>58582765
Intel is the ones advertising for them.
>>
it's scary how WIN32 and Intel managed to keep technology back with such a shitty CPU architecture for so fucking long.
>>
>>58580208
>4-8 years later
>Well we fucked up and made a pile of shit.
>>
The year of the RISC v processor
>>
>>58581488
This is a large reason people are excited for amd's new cpu even if they aren't buying one, it's a new architecture, something intel lately hasn't done for... sense the pentium 3... so intel has been floating along on the back of pentium 3 nearly 20 years, and will be over 20 by the time they make something new, while amd has had 3 different cores in that time frame with 2 of them being good, one of them being good for specific applications for a short time, would likely still be goodenough today if they released full desktop variants but fuck it, when gamers are concerned its hard to argue in favor of construction and cat cores.

Throughout the entirety of the bulldozer base, look at what amd did gen over gen... and now look at zen, and imagine it to be bulldozer levels of optimization left to happen. now realize zen currently on engineering samples that throw errors like a mother fucker, is within 5% ipc of intel's current cpu.

I cant wait to see if either there is a performance stand still, you cant get much faster than intel is, or if we have been rammed up the ass by intel for so long we forgot they were even there and its only now that we finally see real vagina we remember a cock is still loged up our asses.
>>
>>58583235
>This is the y-year of R-RISC guys, honest. it really is this year.
>>
>>58583669
It's been the year of RISC every year since 1990.
>>
>>58583654
a lot of the integer functions really can't get much better because the latency is as low as is physically possible, but for others it's definitely possible.
>>
>>58582034
If an ARM part offered high performance per core, didn't have limited clock range, and could emulate X86 software there isn't an issue. K12 was called the sister core of Zen at its inception, so I doubt its a small low power design.
There is bound to be a transitional period at some point, trying to stave it off forever is a fool's errand.

>>58583654
If AMD manage a 20% IPC uplift for Zen over even 2 generations they'll have bested intel, which is an incredibly exciting prospect.
>>
>>58583773
That's the joke
>>
i'd love to see a russian or chinese new processor

it would rustle so many jimmies, specially usaians
>>
>>58583669
Doesn't CUDA use RISC? I know intel has been desperately trying to break into the GPGPU market with about as much success as their shitty mobile parts thanks to CUDA.

Intel really needs to get over their x86 instruction set. The last time it had a major improvement was when AMD created the 64bit version and it's clearly been shown to be irrelevant in the latest trending markets.
>>
>>58583852
I read an article a couple years ago about Russia's hottest new original microprocessor. It had about as much compute power as a first gen pentium, cost a couple grand apiece, and only existed to prevent security risks in military hardware.
>>
>>58584100
Us military uses old processors as well, so that's pretty much standard.
>>
>>58584100
It was an 8 core ARM chip using stock Cortex A57 cores. The Russian government said they couldn't trust any X86 chip because of NSA backdoors.
>>
>>58584115
I wasn't actually "old," though. It was a brand new design, it was just horribly weak.

The US military has shit tons of old hardware going because some of it is in charge of controlling vital shit they can't take offline and don't want to involve any third parties with. Like maybe the nukes but obviously we wouldn't know if they changed to a newer system because no one else knowing at all is kind of the point.
>>
File: 1468157441202.jpg (83KB, 432x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468157441202.jpg
83KB, 432x768px
>>58581621
Liberal cuck detected
>>
>>58580208
So I should become a computer engineer with vlsi focus
>>
>>58581621
whoa, the butthurt is strong. easy there lad, we're in /g/. throw your feelings in >>>/pol/
>>
>>58584429
To be fair, we landed on the moon with less powerful hardware than in out calculators.

If this computer was made to be a super computer, they fucked up. If its just a general purpose cpu for weak shit that doesn't need all the power of even intel's weakest consumer cpu, then whats it matter if its used?

Alot of what these cpus could do is just data processing, and to do that do you even need more then dos and a text editor?
>>
>>58584429
From what I hear from my friend's doing government contracts, using old processors has more to do with old designs being easier to ruggedize, use low amounts of power, and low risk of damage in battle conditions. They are also known quantities and will have systems that programmers will easily be able to develop for, as well as have any defects ironed out before reaching production.

It takes at least a decade before a processor progresses to military hardware like tanks and the like. It's similar for space satellites, and why things like original Playstation cpus end up in space probes.
>>
>>58580208
Mark my words, it's going to be Prescott all over again.
>>
>>58585495
Itanium2 electron boogaloo.
>>
Intel Itanic 2.0
>>
Maybe this time they'll remember to develop a compiler snarf snarf
>>
>all these dumb AMD shills
Forgot Bulldozer happened?
>>
File: amd3.jpg (66KB, 568x612px) Image search: [Google]
amd3.jpg
66KB, 568x612px
>>58580208
DELET
>>
>>58585569
We can hope.
>>
>>58586958
Intel has ways more fuckups than Bulldozer, Bulldozer is AMD's only spectacular fuckup in the CPU market in 40 years, the only other minor fuckup was Phenom which was not even a architecture fuckup since it was fixed in B3 stepping, the other fuckup was K5.
But these are fucking nothing compared to Presshot, Itanium, Larabee, iAPX 432, and their own fuckup with P5 FDIV that wasn't nicely fixed with a stepping, but a fucking recall.
What about their complete failure with the atom? What an abortion, mobile market? 14nm and lower lithography woes where they allowed their competitors that were lagging 4 years to close the gap to less than a year?

These magnificent failures would destroy 5 companies over, it's a good thing Intel has more money than sense to live through it all.
>>
>>58587061
> Presshot
Not even Presshot, fucking NetBurst in general was so fucking shit.
>>
>>58585209
Exactly this. You don't want to have dead tanks/ships/airplanes because the russians/chinese destroyed everything with a massive EMP pulse or bomb.
Or just electronics dying due to explosive shock damage.
>>
>>58587184
Prescott naturally means Netburst, presshot just sounds funnier and gets the point across about the whole housefire thing.
>>
>>58587200
>the whole housefire thing.
It was a nice space heater though.
>>
>>58587200
I can't believe they actually had an architecture ready to succeed Netburst, holy shit Intel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejas_and_Jayhawk
>>
>>58580208
AMD awoke the sleeping giant.
>>
>>58587195
Mission critical hardware tends to use older chips. Bugs are well known, they're stable. Theres a reason why we're not sending brand new CPUs into space for things like the rover, and instead are using majorly weak PPC cores, and its not because of rad hardening. Off the shelf chips from AMD made on GloFo's 32nm PD-SOI node are naturally more radiation resistant than anything ever sent into space.
>>
>>58587245
Last time AMD awoke the sleeping giant the sleeping giant begged HP on its knees to use its Itanic so they could save some money.
>>
>>58587214
>Early samples of 90 nm Tejas running at 2.8 GHz were rated for 150w TDP on the LGA 775 socket
Literally CPU out of hell.
>>
Considering Intel's history with new architectures I'm not getting my hopes up, they have enough money now to trash it if it's another failure like Netburst without us even knowing about it.

Either way they're still looking for architects apparently, so you're not gonna see this before 2022.
>>
>>58587273
>150w
still not even close to ayymd 220W cpu with subpar performance
>>
>>58587311
(you).
>>
>>58587311
If you overclocked netburst you'd get some pretty dazzling numbers too.
>>
>>58587322 (You)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347
>>
>>58587269
No, they came up with the core architecture and tick-tock model that culminated with sandy bridge completely dominating for half a decade.
>>
>>58587365
They just iterated P6. Both itanic and shitburst failed. Hilariously.
>>
>>58587365
Their response to K7 and AMD64 was Netburst and IA64, only after that came Core.
>>
>>58587385
>>58587391
There was nothing wrong with Itanium, it had its niche.
>>
>>58587434
Then you could say there was nothing wrong Bulldozer and Netburst too, since they had their niches.
But at least those had compilers.
>>
>>58587434
Itanic had like no fucking use. And Intel wasted time developing it while AMD gave us AMD64.
>>
>>58587434
The whole shifting register window thing was a complete dead end.
>>
>>58587365
Go away you fool, you loud Inteltards have no clue about the CPU history of the company you worship nor their architecture, you're not qualified to speak.
>>
>>58584402
but surely they can trust UK MIwahtever backdoors
>>
>>58585209
>It's similar for space satellites
which is bullshit to suck money out these days, it was understandable in 70-80s when you simply couldn't make them small and protected at same time
you can make 50 small ones for the price of "proper" one
small satellites is the future, that's what people tend to do now for commercial applications
it works for 2-4 years and burns in atmosphere, you just launch another one for 300-500k, cheaper than satellite that works 10 costs 25m and out of date in 4 years
>>
>>58587195
>aegis was shot down by one su-35 two years back
>>
>>58587474
that whole decade kind of refutes whole corporate espionage shtick altogether
they couldn't predict damn nothing
>>
>>58587693
It's also strange that Intel with gigantic R&D budget has no competent engineers to develop something fucking usable.
>>
>>58587741
We have no idea how much the highers ups are breathing down the engineers neck, especially with this new idiot of a CEO.
>>
>>58587818
Krzanich is fucking retard. I wonder if he'll outretard Hector-the-dumb-faggot.
>>
>>58587741
Spending money doesn't guarantee its being well spent.
By all measures intel has never been a particularly great semi conductor company in anything but their foundry business, but they've had tons of issues there.
They only got ahead of AMD by destroying their revenue which shattered the company's management beyond repair. AMD with dwindling profits couldn't recover from a bad arch, intel with their market domination has been able to hit the ground running after numerous major fuck ups. You could say the only areas where intel are really in a league of their own are in marketing and bribery.
>>
>>58587890
At least AMD finally started to get their shit together, their new CEO is godsent.
>>
>>58587880
No, because the board of directors will stop him before that.
He'll likely getting fired in the next 6 months.
>>
>>58588057
>No, because the board of directors will stop him before that.
Don't think so, retards will continue to buy Intel and boards of directors usually give zero fucks as long as money flows.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170121-154000.jpg (783KB, 1431x2303px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170121-154000.jpg
783KB, 1431x2303px
>>58587214
What the fuck were Intel thinking?
>>
>>58588262
"Pipelines are like dicks - the longer the better."
>>
>>58588262
50 fucking pipeline stages.

FIFTY

Did they plan to clock this to 9GHz, before silicon told them to fuck off?
>>
>>58588262
I always wanted to build a nuclear reactor at home
>>
>>58588322
Get a bunch of 480s.
>>
>>58588327
I dont want to recreate the sun on earth
>>
>>58588386
It'll be a nice heater though.
>>
>>58588284
They wanted to hit 8ghz and higher, they could have done it too.
AMD apparently had an arch targeting the same clock range.
>>
>>58588434
>They wanted to hit 8ghz and higher, they could have done it too.
But at what cost? How do you cool THAT?
>>
>>58581616
Yay I can keep my i5 for another 5 years because intel is dead.

They can only get away with selling the same consumer grade shit for so long
>>
>>58588472
Vacuum!
>>
>>58580208
>to power the next decade

I've been running a Core 2 for one decade already. I see nothing new.
>>
>>58588262
>7ghz
Wow a portable fusion reactor
>>
>>58588472
With an FPU operating at twice the clock rate they had some Pentium Extreme Editions only a ballhair away from 8ghz, though the rest of the core was obviously far behind. With a low enough drive voltage and long enough pipeline heat wouldn't have been a major issue, though at the time they were looking into materials to sustain higher temps. 100c idle could have been a thing.
>>
>>58588626
>100c idle could have been a thing.
As i said, how do you cool THAT? Without ln2.
>>
So Intel is finally ready to make cpu which is faster than kaby lake by more than 1%?! Will it be 1.5%? Don't tell 2%?!
>>
>>58588649
Cooling is relative to the temperature range that the chip can sustain. 100c idle could have been acceptable, you'd have a normal heatsink, just a lot warmer.
>>
>>58588666
No, they'll make next Itanic.
>>
>>58588692
I think Intel is done trying to be a special snoflake with NIH syndrome.
>>
>>58588787
Don't think so, Intel still literally prints money.
>>
>>58588820
Not for much longer

Their desktop stuff is dying and only enterprise sector is profitable but as soon as arm pulls their finger out or a new player enters the game shit is gonna stagnate so bad.

Either AMD or arm stop making shit or we put up with shithellinside junk for another decade.

Outside of GPU and memory tech is going backwards in the PC sphere anyway
>>
>>58588970
AMD stopped making shit.

Their new chips look to be as-or-more energy efficient as Intel's Broadwell chips, possibly as efficient as Skylake.
>>
>>58589059
They've got parity. I wonder what'll Zen+ bring us.
>>
>>58583235
This, Intel is scared as fuck now.
RISC-V is the future.
>>
File: catchink.jpg (132KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
catchink.jpg
132KB, 894x894px
When it comes out, i'm still going to remind everyone that a 2500k with 8GB RAM and a 770 is more than anyone really needs.
>>
Salty and butthurt AMDPOORFAGS : The thread
>>
>>58591309
Found the Itanic apologist.
>>
>>58591439
Better than Bulldozer
>>
File: single socket holocaust.jpg (28KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
single socket holocaust.jpg
28KB, 550x550px
>>58591493
I giggled. Here, have a CPU.
>>
File: arson.jpg (196KB, 602x748px) Image search: [Google]
arson.jpg
196KB, 602x748px
>>58591510
you too
>>
>>58591559
Hmmmmm, 8 cores versus 1 core.
>>
>>58591559
Your best is an overclocked 8350?
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.