[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>get new laptop >decide to install Ubuntu cause it just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1468465063656.jpg (46KB, 484x283px) Image search: [Google]
1468465063656.jpg
46KB, 484x283px
>get new laptop
>decide to install Ubuntu cause it just werks™ and I don't want to setup and manage another arch install
>has given me more problems than arch ever has
what the fuck, I thought this was meant to be easy.
>>
>>58570130
>gets spoonfed by the wiki during his entire arch install and setup
>thinks he now knows enough Unix to install and maintain any of the other "easy" Linux distros without having to rely on a wiki as a crutch
>>
File: purify_computer.jpg (52KB, 500x865px) Image search: [Google]
purify_computer.jpg
52KB, 500x865px
>sudo apt-get update/upgrade till it works
Kinda funny that most of the problems are on laptops rather than on stationary desktop.
>>
>>58570189
I don't see what that has to do with anything, shit was fucking broken right out of the box with Ubuntu. It's mostly due to everything Unity/Gnome related being a shit though.
>>
>>58570130
>Ubuntu
There's your problem, recent ubuntu releases have been pretty terrible. Go with something like fedora, opensuse, korora or linux mint.
>>
Welcome to the release-based downstream faggotry of the debians. Debians are some of the few distros that add bugs to otherwise fine software and lag when patching bugs in supposedly "stable" programs

Rolling vanilla/upstream or GTFO.
>>
>>58570189
>crutch
idiot
>>
>>58570130
I have never had a good time with Debian-based distros, especially when the upgrade cycle rolled around.

If you want a just werks OS, you should actually be looking at OpenBSD, provided you don't use Nvidia.
>>
File: 1484676610267.jpg (604KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1484676610267.jpg
604KB, 2000x1500px
>>58570130

I'm in the same boat, OP. Got a brand new Dell a couple weeks ago and slapped Ubuntu on it. I'm on my second reinstall.

>Sorry you cancelled a sudo apt-get upgrade in the middle, your OS is broken now
>sorry you tried to install the same windows app with wine AND PlayOnLinux, your OS is broken now
>sorry you tried to install a new GTK theme without manually deleting the old files and reverting to default first, your OS is broken

honestly the only thing keeping me from switching back to Botnows10 is how nice using a terminal is
>>
>>58571542
The truth is, none of those things have probably broken your OS. You're just a brainlet.
>>
>>58571424
This. Debian takes perfectly fine software and shits all over it, fucking constantly.

Using Linux Mint has honestly made me miss openSUSE and Fedora. But, I'm lazy and don't care about "muh botnet" shit.
>>
>>58571424
I go with Ubuntu LTS and do a clean install to stay away from upgrades.During the 4 years inbetween it just werks.
>>
>>58570130

ubuntu always fucks up with some repo and then the system is just broken
>>
>>58571599
Ubuntu promised to take care of the brainlets and it fails worse than arch or Gentoo.
>>
>>58570130
>new laptop
>installs linux

You should have gotten a 3+ year old thinkpad like the rest of this board
>>
>>58571599
>>58571970
Oh and I would know, I have literal brain damage.
>>
>>58571542
What is minutely btrfs snapshots?
>>
>>58572556
probably something that will break Ubuntu when you try to do it.
>>
>>58570195
Thats because of the shitty hardware parts manufacturers use to cut costs. Linux is quite picky and cant handle that.
>>
>>58570130
Just install arch. I had the tons of issues trying to use GalliumOS (xubuntu based) on my chromebook, I've barely had any issues since I set up arch. It's not like arch is that difficult to manage once it's set up.
>>
>>58570130
Use manjaro, it is arch on easy mode.
>>
Because drivers
/Thread
>>
>>58570130
I have the same problems

Arch runs like butter with i3 but Ubuntu keeps breaking itself
>>
>>58570130
>install hobbyist OS
>surprised when you run into problems

woooooow
>>
>>58572556
I don't know about minutely, but if you're using btrfs you should 100% have a snapshot hook set up to save you when you inevitably fuck up again.
>>
>>58570130
Sounds like shit/outdated hardware
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.