[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This may sound like bait but it's a serious question, why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

File: 57UKydQS.png (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
57UKydQS.png
7KB, 400x400px
This may sound like bait but it's a serious question, why do people use linux? I want to know the advantages over windows
>>
1. It doesn't spy on you
2. It doesn't get viruses
3. Software installation is much easier and safer
4. It's free as in beer
5. It's much more customizable

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>58569969

Looks way cleaner and better too
>>
>>58569969
No programs or software. Its useless dont lie.
>>
>>58569684
if you aren't in a corporate environment or a video game player, then linux has a lot of advantages. security, privacy, speed, and cost are all relevant advantages.
>>
>>58569969
Oh yeah, some other important things: it doesn't advertise to you from within the OS and you can actually have full control over updates.
>>
>>58569987
So anyone and everyone?
>>
Linux users want to be different, special little snowflakes
>>
File: best microsoft logo.png (72KB, 519x142px) Image search: [Google]
best microsoft logo.png
72KB, 519x142px
>>58569684
>why do people use linux
Servers. There was a test back in the day to see which servers running Windows vs. Linux go down first. The Windows ones consistently broke down at least once a month. The Linux servers just kept going like the fucking energizer bunny.
It's easier to rice a linux OS, Linux is completely moddable to look however you want it.
Centralized software installation. You don't have to go to an individual site.

Also, Microsoft has a history of really fucking shit up. Recently they cancelled Scalebound after 4 years of development. Then there's the multi-monitor bug this month. Oh, and don't forget the secureboot debacle, they accidentally released the keys.
>>
>>58570012
hello,

work in this field, I would like to remind users gnu+linux is not a consumer OS! it is used in specialized areas of computing i.e. supercomputers, enterprise, certain areas of software development, networking and storage management (servers).

there are reasons for this which can be loosely categorized by 'externally' and 'internally'. externally, gnu+machines are easier to maintain, cheaper and more reliable. internally, the l-kernel itself responds and is better suited to the tasks I previously mentioned.

notice that these tasks listed are generally not consumer oriented! linux is taking great steps and leaps in trying to penetrate that market but as of today and tomorrow won't be a consumer OS. If you are interested in this type OS, use XNU! It is a consumer friendly.

thank you for reading!!
>>
>>58569969
>doesn't have enough M$ software
>No gayms for manchildren
>too many useless meme distros
>not BSD
I can't see GNU/Linux expanding much in the future
>>
>>58569969
this plus i can use hardware much longer with an state-of-the-art installation.
>>
>>58570086
this fucking pasta
>>
>>58570105
help
does linux have:
- CPU and GPU overclocking software
- CPU fan control software
- power management controls
- display/refresh rate controls
>>
It's fast
Great for doing any kind of programming or dev
More visually consistent than Windows
Windows command line is a joke
>>
I use it on my work laptop because the terminal is much more versatile than cmd.exe and it runs on a superior filesystem so my stuff compiles a lot faster. Video drivers are a huge pain in the ass. Dell did some voodoo shit on their new Precision laptops that makes it impossible to get the built in Quadro to work with Linux.

Lol if you use it at home on your $2000 desktop PC though.
>>
>>58569684

way better for web servers
>>
>>58570178
Mr robot used it on a 17 inch msi gaming laptop so fuck you
>>
UTF-8 > ISO 8859-1
>>
>>58569684
Because Gentoo.
>>
>>58570128
yes
>>
>>58569684
1 if you develop software, apps or do programming, chances are that your code will run on a Linux environment. It is very helpful to use this environment already while developing
2 there is a huge amount of phantastic software for linux. Want to transcode video? Get FFMPEG. Want to do image processing? Get ImageMagick. Want to do audio stuff? Get Sox. This software often doesnt have the user interface that you would know from commercial applications, but what they lack in easiness of use that make up with power. Yes, this is software is sometimes available for Windows environments, but it will be harder to install because of software dependencies.
3 the Internet basically runs on Linux and free software. As soon slas you get in producing and not consuming in the Internet, you will need to get in touch with linux
4 there are situations when Windows simply can't be the right choice. Eg running environments on old or energy saving hardware. When you can't run Windows, there will be for sure a Linux setup that you can run
5 IMHO Linux is not a simple environment. I'm 36 now and I was on and off using Linux since 15 years or more. You can't effectively use Linux without using the command line and it is something that people usually are not comfortable of doing and also something that has a steep learning curve if you come from a point and click only environment. But it is worth it.
>>
>>58571333
>ffmpeg
>fantastic
It's usable if you have nothing else, but there's nothing great about needing to look up arcane syntax every time.
>>
File: Keked.jpg (493KB, 2085x2399px) Image search: [Google]
Keked.jpg
493KB, 2085x2399px
>>58570025
Fucking windtodddler. Linux tries to be a UNIX clone not a special little snowflake. Get your facts right before you shit out of your mouth next time.
>>
File: rFe1KUz.png (469KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rFe1KUz.png
469KB, 1920x1080px
>>58569684
some people have their tinfoil hats on when it comes to privacy. at the end of the day if someone really wants to spy on you they can.

other than that it is safer from viruses. even the unstable distros will generally crash less than windows. it is more customisable (for me its too customisable. i would rather change my background and theme and just be done with it.) people do like it because its free but at this point windows is pretty much free too. even my dad managed to get a cracked iso and set it all up. lastly some people just like using it. they find using the terminal to be a nicer experience. they like the way it works more.

i do like linux. i like using the terminal. i like how you can make it look. but i do not like having to copy about 150 lines of code just to get a monitor or my mouse to work properly. I dont like having to jump through hoops with wine just to get my games and adobe shit to work.

linux has its uses. it also has its downfalls. you just have to decide which uses you like/want and which downfalls you dont mind so much.

then again i run windows 8.1 so what do I know

pic unrelated. its a wallpaper i made.
>>
one of the most glaring differences to me, having just booted windows after months of using Arch, is the fucking atrocious font rendering. It is absolutely horrible to look at.
>>
>>58569684
I like having control over my own computer. I don't give a fuck about freetard licenses or footskin eaters. I don't care about that because none of it matters to me. I just need an operating system that works exactly how I tell it to work. That's GNU/Linux. I use Xubuntu because it's stable, secure, and doesn't watch me fap. I also recently used ME Cleaner to disabled the Intel buttnet in my CPU. Power management is fine and the ME has disappeared.

Uncuck yourself, faggot.

ShitHub link: https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner
>>
>>58569969
>meme argument
>wrong
>no its not
>true
>literally a meme reason
Linux is a lot more customizable, yes. Yet you see Linux users complain about having to disable some options during Windows installation, while they spend months editing their anime desktop to impress autists on this board.
>>
>>58569987
Except there's Steam and emulators.
>>
>>58571578
>ur arguments r maymays XD
Not him but you need to go back.
>>
>>58571367
> arcane syntax confirmed
But it still is incredibly powerful. That's what I meant with lower usability
>>
>>58569969
Did you just say "Sofware installation is much easier" ?

Did I hear that right?

Guys wake me up this isn't real right, that person doesn't actually think that, right?
>>
>>58571642
With MeGUI you get both.
>>
>>58569684
This board isn't about advantages it's about fun
But whatever the people come up with itt does apply.
>>
>>58569969
>1. It doesn't spy on you
I guess

>2. It doesn't get viruses
It does get exploits and security holes are found every day, typically ones that have been there for like 10 years and no freetard ever noticed

>3. Software installation is much easier and safer
If it's in the repos, depends if you have automatic dependency resolution
If it's not in the repos, no

>4. It's free as in beer
Yes

>5. It's much more customizable
Thank God, because it generally looks like ass by default unlike Windows/OSX
>>
>>58569684
the only real advantages are customisability, since the os is kinda modular, and it's better if you have into using the command line a lot.
Otherwise it's worse than windows.
>>
>>58571787
2. Security holes are found in any operating system, Linux has an advantage with rapid development and easily audited code allowing most anyone to find, report and patch security holes.
The decade a bug stays in the system is more likely because of not being discovered before rather than being known and not fixed out of corporate prioritizing.

3. While there are serious issues with some old unsupported software, even cloning and compiling from GitHub is simple enough, with the readme usually listing dependencies and the building failing with nice error messages telling you what is missing if anything is.

>>58569684
One thing I absolutely love is the man pages, offline documentation for your whole system.
Like Google but only correct results.
>>
>>58571686
>linux
1 command
1 command to update whenever
>windows
download installer
click next while looking out for checkboxes that will install malware
every program has its own updater or you have to keep looking out for updates
>>
>>58569969
Although not the same person, I would like to provide sources for his claims and end this thread:
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#20b92ce52f4a
https://archive.is/QFL8e
>Here is the roughly 8-hour network traffic analysis of 5508 connection attempts of an unused, base install of Windows 10 Enterprise
>>
>>58569985

MASSIVE amount of software. Don't lie because your autismo app isn't released for Linux because of the publishers choice.
>>
>>58571894
/thread
>>
>>58571903
keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>58569684
The question is why use a closed and proprietary OS when you don't have to?

Microsoft has enough of a monopoly that it's killing all possible competition, preventing anyone from developing a better OS. Free "as in open" OSs such as BSD and GNU/Linux are the only option for making things better.
>>
>>58572120
You are either trolling or ignorant.
>>
>>58569684
>why do people use linux?
It's free.
It places no obligations on you (except you have to be, or pretend to be, a pretentious prat).
It is designed to appeal to OCD/Autism spectrum types.
It provides a never-ending time-sponge.
>>
>>58572242
>ignorant
Ah, yes, the knee-jerky response from people without arguments that try to appear smug.
"Man, you just dont get it. Educate thyrself, lol"
>>
>>58569684
>I want to know the advantages over windows
Look at you, so indoctrinated into thinking alternatives must be miles better because Windows is the golden standard of operating systems.

>I don't drink Pepsi because there aren't obvious advantages over Coca-Cola
>I don't eat chicken because there aren't obvious advantages over beef
>I don't smoke Marlboro because there aren't obvious advantages over Camel
They're all valid options bro.
>>
>>58571686
We dont have installation wizards that are completly different and have add/virus checkboxes by default, I simply do it with 1 command, and it works so fuck off
>>
>>58572339
Your most profound moment in life will be when you realize you were a fucking retard
>>
>>58569684
Easy access to industry standard tools in an industry standard environment, while not needing to buy a Mac.
Windows is gaining ground there with their recent inclusion of the Linux subsystem, but it's still unnecessary cumbersome to fully configure.
Setting up a decent programming environment for anything that can't be easily handled out of the box by Visual Studio is a major pain, slow, unresponsive and usually very hacky.
>>
It can be a number of reasons.

Maybe you're tired of using Windows, and you are fine with an operating system that might just not have the same problems, which may be a Linux distro. You don't have the patience to install Hackintosh or the money to buy some Apple hardware.

Maybe you actually need software that's only available there.

Maybe you like alternatives because you're the kind of guy that has to tell everyone about it. I met quite a few of those.

GNU/Linux is just good, depending on what you want. But it has its flaws just like every other system.
>>
>>58572356
that is irrelevant.
You can do this in windows as well, and android as well, iirc.
Guess what?
People havent adopted that.
>>58572367
"Man, you're just like, too dumb to understand"
Proving my point.
>>
>>58572367
>Your most profound moment in life will be when you realize you were a fucking retard
Attacking his characters instead of arguments. You sure showed him now. And while you're at it, why don't you try to disprove >>58571894?
>>
>>58572431
Character*
>>
>>58571861
Wrong.
>linux
Type command
Error root needed
Sudo apt get install app
Enter root password
Password
Wrong password, realize you made it 36 characters to be secure
Finally get it
Wi-Fi drivers are still lacklustre
Takes three times longer to stream the updates and install them
Comes with spyware because "hurr Linux can't get viruses who needs an antivirus goyims?"
>>
>>58569684
Is there a virtual machine program to run windows from Linux? I wish I had two decent computers. I hate opening up Linux via VM.
>>
>>58572484
and I meant to say Linux does 95% of the things I use my PC for other than modern gaming from time to time.
>>
>>58572465
You are mentally retarded.

It's bad practice to always use Administrator account on windows. And linux fixes this for you, hence you need to sudo things.

If you can't type your password, you must be spastic as well. Also, if you sudo once in a terminal, you don't have to type your password for like the next half hour in that terminal.

WiFi drivers are no problem on distros like Ubuntu which you should be using anyway unlike meme rice distros.

All programs in the default repository don't have any malware or virus. If you add malicious repos you are the stupid one.
>>
It's free.
>>
>>58572548
and so is Windows. kek.
>>
>>58572465
>I can't remember my password
Go back to Windows
>>
>>58572465

> Wrong password, realize you made it 36 characters to be secure

all too common
>>
Linux cured my hemorrhoids
>>
>>58572573
As in freedom?
>>
Earlier last year I planned to use Arch Linux to do work/college related stuff like programming and writing papers and Windows to watch movies, gaming and using web. Time goes on, I spent more time in Arch because of lots of customization and useful functions, more intelligent use of resources and less heating. The difference of stability and swiftness on the use of applications is absurd. It is worth the change and setting the distro up.
>>
>>58572604
Yes. Request a smart card from Microsoft and go here
>https://codepremium.msdn.microsoft.com/
The Windows source code is literally behind that link.
>>
>>58572627
So I can easily build my own NT kernel and sell its binary to my friends? That's nice.
>>
>>58572673
Stallman's interpretation of "freedom" isn't everybody's, nor is it the most free. You cannot do what you want, but the source code of Windows is shared among people outside Microsoft regardless.
>>
>>58569684
mine laptop on w10 used to crash on wake up's and after shutdown my fan and hdd plate kept werking. So i switched to linux and now i don't have any problems and it even runs smoother
>>
>>58572527
drivers are not a problem on any hardware i used past 16 years

not even on arch linux
>>
>>58571686
>pacman -S [program]
>y

Compared to:
>Open google
>search Program name
>10.000.000 websites 9.999.999 are fakes that advertise malware
>After downloading 5 virus finally found official site
>download program
>double click
>install pops up
> next next next next
>didnt uncheck "do you want to install 10 toolbars for FREE!!!!!!!" box
>fuck
>spend 30 mins getting rid of all the shit.
>install Programm
>>
>>58572967
still didnt fuck up the machine.
>>
>>58573273
neither does pacman/apt/whatever.
>>
I use it on my low-performance netbook in order to make it work as best as it can. No matter how much of the fat I trim off Windows, I can't get it down to such bare bones as Linux while keeping the same ease of use.

There are obviously tons of other reasons listed in these replies but many of them, like tinkering and programming, don't really apply to me. I do super basic things. I simply want the most out of my cheap hardware.
>>
>>58569684

No telemetry hat allows MS/NSA to watch you masturbate.

MS has gone way too far in invading our privacy and accessing our computers. It is unacceptable. Linux is the only good alternative for those who cannot afford a MAC.
>>
>>58572967
Linux:
>sudo apt-get update
>error: apt-get not found
>reinstall linux
>sudo apt-get update
>loading...
>1 year later
>no internet connection
>wi-fi drivers no found
>reinstall windows
>google for wi-fi linus drivers
>not found anything
>write on your own
>1 year later
>reinstall linux
>install wi-fi drivers
>sudo apt-get update
>updated
>sudo install somesoftware
>error: not found
>google reposiroties
>sudo apt-get addrep
>error: addrep command not found
>couple years later software is finally installed
>new Linux released
>new software version released
>repeat from beginning

Windows:
>google somesoftware
>download
>double-click
>installation done
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.