[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been using vim for a while now but I've started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Emacs-icon.sh.png (35KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
Emacs-icon.sh.png
35KB, 650x650px
I've been using vim for a while now but I've started looking at using emacs instead.

Where do I start? Not having fun with the shortcuts at the moment.
>>
>>58561955
You could either start with the included tutorial or just find a cheat sheet online and look for the shortcuts to commands when you need to use those commands.
>>
what the fuck kind of logo is that its literally just a squiggly fucking line what the fuck is this shit
>>
>>58563681
its an illustration of stallmans body shape from the side
>>
>>58563681
It's supposed to be like a cursive e as in Emacs
>>
>>58561955
>Where do I start?
Start by going back to vim.
Emacs is way too bloated

>but I can configure Emacs to do anything I want
for anything you might want to do there's a tool that does it better than integrating it in emacs.
>>
>>58564186
vim is bloated, use vi faggot
>>
>>58564186
>Emacs is way too bloated
there's always mg
>>
>>58563711
underrated.

Learn about Org Mode OP
>>
File: rms.fat.png (833KB, 751x1255px) Image search: [Google]
rms.fat.png
833KB, 751x1255px
>>58563711
had to make this.
>>
>>58561955
Use evil-mode or spacemacs you jigaboo
>>
>>58563656
included tutorial fo sho
>>
File: its_time.jpg (17KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
its_time.jpg
17KB, 500x382px
>>58561955
I'm considering using vim instead of my regular IDE because having both hands on the keyboard at all times is the only way I can keep from masturbating
>>
>>58564186
>vim
>not bloated
have you ever actually seen the size of the vim help file? It's currently over 3200 pages with about 300+ pages added for every minor release because of new features. At least all of the bloat is related to editing unlike in Emacs.
>>
Just learn the basic yank, kill, mark, pop to mark. Then I would learn about the different buffers, opening a emacs cmd line, and having different files open in the other buffers. Then learn about the minibuffer and all that it can do for you.

If you don't fall in love after that, it's fine just go back to vim/vi or whatever. I don't know why people insist that certain text editors are more impressive than others. If you find the software getting in your way after you have given it a fair shake there is no shame in moving on.
>>
>>58561955
I was also a vim user at one point, but have since made the switch to emacs solely for org-mode.

If you want to go full switch, learn the default emacs keybinds. If you miss vim, get evil (and possibly also evil-leader) . It's absolutely great and implements most (if not all) of the default vim keybinds in emacs.

Also look into the huge amount of plugins in MELPA.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.