[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am of average intelligence with no prior programming experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: o-ZX-SPECTRUM-facebook.jpg (495KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-ZX-SPECTRUM-facebook.jpg
495KB, 2000x1000px
I am of average intelligence with no prior programming experience beyond basic web dev shit. I am, however, obsessed with old computers from the 80s such as the Spectrum ZX, C64 etc. It is my life's ambition to learn how to program in BASIC and hack around with these old legends from my childhood. I want to write a Spectrum game before I die, without the use of emulators.

Is it beyond the realm of possibility for a regular Joe like me to learn how to hack around with old school computers and their pitiful memory? This is a long term goal. Where do I even start?
>>
have you tried tilting at windmills?
>>
Old hardware is usually very well documented, companies werent as jewish and desperate to track their users back then. You can probably find hardware and programming manuals for the low on amazon for the device you have and you can find em for free online most likely
>>
File: amstardcpc6128-616x594.png (413KB, 616x594px) Image search: [Google]
amstardcpc6128-616x594.png
413KB, 616x594px
Get an Amstrad CPC. Amstrads don't have a cult following since they weren't popular at all in the US (Even compared to the Spectrum/ZX81). This means they're cheap. Also, they have a great community in the UK, Spain and France. Oh, and they have Locomotive BASIC, which is best BASIC.
>>
>>58557643
Go to /vr/, those guys certainly know about old computers.

Anyway, you'd be better aiming for assembler, since BASIC is a slow (because it's high-level, duh) language.
>>
>>58557643
I wrote a spectrum game when I was 10. Its not difficult.
>>
>>58558320

Tell us more
>>
>>58557643
You'll have no problem, the resources are about you just might have to do some hunting.

It'll be a very rewarding hobby.

DO IT.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.