[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel about schools slowly adapting Computer Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 56492907180000a700304c56.jpg (54KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
56492907180000a700304c56.jpg
54KB, 630x420px
How do you guys feel about schools slowly adapting Computer Science and Programming studies into schools as early as Primary?
>>
>>58536364
As long as they teach about free software and software ethics. And don't force microsoft products on the kids, then it's fine.
>>
File: gl.jpg (103KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
gl.jpg
103KB, 480x640px
>>58536398
Will never happen.
>>
File: 1462770594633.jpg (251KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1462770594633.jpg
251KB, 1200x1200px
>>58536435
aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
File: 1484384360456.jpg (42KB, 686x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1484384360456.jpg
42KB, 686x1024px
Fairly pointless, especially when a shop class would be far, far more useful instead.

>mfw all these <30 year olds that are totally willing to pay a handyman $80/h to do shit like rebuild their toilet or change the locks on their house or can't even change a tire on their car
>>
>>58536398
Sounds about right. I think they're mostly pushing Google products at this point.
>>
I honestly think schools should subject young children to bullshit like 4chan just to weed out the faggots early on in a sort of live psychological stress test
>>
>>58536457
You know kids can do more than one lesson in school...right?
>>
>>58536364
Dumb because not everyone wants or can be a programmer, forcing this shit will make it boring probably for the people that are interested in programming.
To put it this way they will use dumb GUI style shit that isn't programming but rather clicky click.
>>
>>58536469
You know most schools don't have any kind of shop class at all anymore, right?
You know at most, kids have one or two electives a year until they're seniors with five classes to fill, right?
>>
>>58536469
It depends on the school. Not all of them can offer computers, labs, shop, home ec etc.
>>
>>58536488
>>58536490
This is why we need to put more money into education and less into giving it away to other countries
I'm speaking from a Canadian perspective btw.
>>
I'd like to see this:

HomeEc
>typical lifeskills and household management course that our parents took, but modernized. Cooking, household finances, maintenance, scheduling, tasks, seeking services

TechEc
>Basic computer knowledge 101: hardware, basic functions/operations, survey of computer applications (enough to recognize a problem that can be solved with programming); Docs/Sheets/Slides learned in english/math courses
Basically every high school graduate should be as proficient with basic computer tasks as anyone on /g/ today

Leave the programs to the poos, otherwise introduce programming in college.

Since China is taking over mfg, we train the next gen to become proficient enough so that america becomes a CONSULTING powerhouse.
>>
>>58536364
No because I don't want any more potential competition.
>>
>>58536546
>a fucking leaf trying to educate Americans on how their school systems don't create REAL MEN

lmaoing @ u
>>
>>58536364
i learned basic programming like scratch on elementary school.
>>
>>58536364
The teachers are technically inept and the kids that truly want to learn will. I think it's a waste of money. Not everyone needs to or should learn how to program.
>>
>>58536435
Damn, Moot went to hell after he left 4chan.
>>
>>58536990
Who?
>>
>>58536364
By the time they're out of school, what they learned will be utterly obsolete.

Waste of money, waste of time.

Interesting excuse to buy a bunch of shit that has no practical purpose.
>>
>>58537013

wut? programming has no practical purpose? you live in a programmed world, faggot. You're on a web app that was programmed. The earlier people start the better. Doesn't mean every kid will actually have the desire and motivation to learn, but those who do will be able to learn at school. It's great.
>>
>>58537056
>you live in a programmed world, faggot
So what? Knowing how 4chan was programmed does literally nothing for you. Literally everything you touch in your daily life was either made or processed directly by or by a machine made directly by a machinist. Does that mean you have any practical purpose knowing how to run a lathe if you aren't a machinist?
>>
>>58537114

2edgy4me.

the point is programming is incredibly useful and resourceful in 2017 compared to....idk....1904? 1950? even 1999. Most teens have a smart phone. They're carrying a machine around 24/7 basically. Why not give kids the option to learn machines as early as primary/middle school? Also, programs can do a lot for you. Ever heard of reverse engineering? Again, I don't think schools should force it, but make it available. It would help separate all the dumb jock kids who wanna snapchat all day from the kids who actually want to use their brains and learn machines.
>>
>>58537172
>I don't think schools should force it, but make it available. It would help separate all the dumb jock kids who wanna snapchat all day from the kids who actually want to use their brains and learn machines.

The school doesn't care. They don't have the budget or the drive to do anything but work towards standardized tests. If you can already ace them without trying they don't give two shits whether or not you want to actually learn something.
>>
>>58537172
Because of phones and dumb "apps" kids don't care about reverse engineering or learning to machine.
The problem is all the shitty stuff they are being exposed at young age and parents that either don't care or forbid that they have smartphone and stuff.
>>
>>58537210

Schools would definitely have trouble finding enough good teachers and paying them. Most likely the teachers now would just tell them to get on the computer and play some kiddy programming game. And in that case, the kids could just do that at home. It is kinda pointless desu
>>
File: cPnBUbn.jpg (132KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cPnBUbn.jpg
132KB, 1920x1080px
>>58536398
>don't force microsoft products on the kids
My niece's kids are issued laptops with Windows10, and are required to used Google Docs / Microsoft Live shit. They are all being indoctrinated early. I tell them about free software, and they smirk at me.
>>
>>58536364
Programming languages and concepts are much more useful in the job market than learning spanish or french, imo.
>>
>>58536398
microsoft wont let this happen
>>
>>58536364
>adapting Computer Science and Programming studies into schools

Good, CS shouldn't even be a major in the first place.

>as early as Primary

Pointless, they can't even write. They should instead do more advanced math instead.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.