[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How painful is running Slackware in 2017? I'm mostly worried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0004.png (361KB, 342x359px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.png
361KB, 342x359px
How painful is running Slackware in 2017? I'm mostly worried by the lack of packages and tons of manual work.

After 4 years running Arch I want to try something new.
>>
I tried it last year and didn't have any problems
>>
>>58534103
Running it right now. it's pretty easy.
>>
Install gentoo,no meme go try it out
>>
File: puflogv500X325.gif (19KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
puflogv500X325.gif
19KB, 500x325px
try this instead
>>
>>58534103
Try Sourcemage
>>
Gentoo is the only decent linux distro and it has over 19K packages.
Otherwise use BSD.
>>
>>58534253
>>58534151
That's what I have used before Arch, want something else.

>>58534157
I've considered it, but I need Steam.

No bully pls.
>>
the entire point of slackware *is* that it requires all the manual work, it is a different facet of the dropout mentality. Arch requires a lot of shitty pointless work, gentoo requires a lot of shitty pointless work, slack requires a lot of shitty pointless work. They all have their own excuses but the conclusion is the same, nothing works so it will be what you want.
>>
>>58534314
>need
your bloodline is weak
>>
>>58534103
I don't know why you would want you're computing experience to be painful, but gentoo, slackware and bsd are good choices if that's really what you want. Especially bsd. Like pulling teeth with a hammer painful.
>>
Running Arch overall has been a nice experience, however few times I needed to do urgent things by Debian (dual boot) because Arch needed to fix or refine something.
There's a bunch of reasons that made me switch:
I got annoyed by the Arch 'user centrism' , meaning that the distro team was deciding about what I could run and I needed to setup, tune and maintain my system according to their decisions with the support of the wiki, gorgeus docs collection indeed; other distros make it automatically;
I didn't see a real advantage in having the very latest stuff of everything: as an example I'd like to have the latest darktable but if the kernel is well supporting my hardware I'm not interested in the latest release;
Arch community is very vocal and I'm very quiet;
I do not make a living from IT, however learning openSUSE is kind of an introduction to SUSE, which is professional Linux; on the other hand learning Arch is fun but no commercial grade distro is based on Arch; in my experience the sentence 'running Arch is learning Linux' isn't true: my first approach to oS was thinking that I knew a lot because of Arch while it turned out that I couldn't be more mistaken;
At the time of the switch I got a new challenging job and for months what I expected from my rig was to do things by it and not to work on it.
Few weeks after the switch I mostly missed the Arch wiki only.
At the end of 2013 Tumbleweed was born: in my opinion this coherently tested and released rolling distro is how a rolling distro should be managed.
Leap came along one year ago and again the engineering concepts behind it are great IMO: a commercial grade core with community driven packages contributions.
At present I'm proud to have been accepted as mod of r/openSUSE and as member of the project; this made me discover a great rule of our community: decisions are made by people doing things, in other words when we mods agree on something about the subreddit no one is interfering with our decisions.
>>
>>58534252
This. Some guy got Steam working on it.
>>
>>58534252
mah man
>>
>>58534784
>reddit mods come to /g/ to blog
>>
>>58534784
Hey nice essay ;)
>>
>>58534784
Top 5 reasons why Arch Linux sucks:

1) Lead arch developer got his computer hacked 3 times. see: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12192&p=1
2) Unstable. Go check out arch's forum instead of listening to the fanboy to see the enormous amounts of issues.
3) Unprofessional. Arch isn't used in any professional environment for a good reason. Made by amateurs.
4) Community. Pretentious, trendy, ricer, hippie morons.
5) Forum. Full of noob questions (can't help it as majority is ex-ubuntu users) and have you signed up a account and saw the off-topic section? They closed it to non-members for a reason. They try so hard acting like a /b/tard. (real example: "i'm 12 and what is this," troll face, /b/ images, etc.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.