[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever seen this weirdo shit? C drive is an SSD, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: partitionspeed.jpg (34KB, 1255x312px) Image search: [Google]
partitionspeed.jpg
34KB, 1255x312px
Anyone ever seen this weirdo shit? C drive is an SSD, it's fast. F and G are partitions on the same 3TB physical HDD. One partition is retarded slow, the other is nice and fast. Read speed on the F drive is ~2MB/s.
>>
Read/write speed on a partition depends on where the sectors are located physically. I'm pretty sure the difference isn't supposed to be that much, though.
>>
>>58526603
Right. When trying to research the problem all I could find was people talking about the speed being faster at the edge of the disk and to move partitions so large files are at the edge for faster read. That's just for slight optimizations of the normal read speed. This is like... the one partition barely moves and the other functions normally.
>>
>>58526451
>150 MB/s
>fast
>>
>>58526623
Compared to 2MB/s?
>>
>>58526451
check if the partition F is encrypted while G is not (especially if you have an old CPU).
>>
>>58526616

1) Partition alignment matters.
2) Why partition an SSD? Have it as one volume.
>>
>>58526451
Scan for bad sectors. or fragmented files.
>>
What is a good software to see what kind of data is on my ssd/hdd? Something like the bar graph I have on my phone (pictures xx%, music/media xx%, documents xx%). Is there one for my PC that's at least somewhat reliable and that would have maybe a few more categories (like .docx and .xls separately listed?)
>>
>>58527133
It is not encrypted. Also I'm running an I7-6700K which I would consider to be a pretty modern processor. Don't think this should be an issue.

>>58527962
I believe that alignment matters but to the point where one partition would have a read speed of 2MB/s and the other 110MB/s? Also the SSD is not partitioned. C is an SSD. G and F are partitions of the same 3TB physical HDD.

>>58527975
I did defragment it and it was at an astonishing 50% fragmentation. I'd never seen one so high which leads me to believe there was some other problem causing it. I've worked on people's PCs who were complaining nothing worked anymore that have never been defragmented with full HDDs and their fragmentation was lower than that. This HDD has been in service probably 8 months. Defragmenting though sadly didn't seem to have much of an impact on the read speed. It's now fully defragmented and still reading slow (2-4MB/s).

>>58528409
I don't know of one that goes by file types like a phone but WinDirStat is a good free program to visualize where all your space is going as far as folders. It draws a map of your space allocation so you can look for the biggest chunks.
>>
>>58529809
>>58526451
What OS are you using? Win10?
Are you using MBR or GPT?
Maybe your partition table is fucked...try and rebuild it.
Also, it is possible, but improbable, that all of partition F is located on a single platter in the HDD and that platter is failing.
>>
Were these all tested at the same time?
>>
Filesystem is obviously hosed fsck it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.