[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So let's say I have _ things. 1. An internet connection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170116_134139.jpg (24KB, 611x322px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170116_134139.jpg
24KB, 611x322px
So let's say I have _ things.

1. An internet connection
2. A laptop with a blank hard drive (so no OS)
3. An Android phone (not rooted) w/ USB cable

Is there any way I could download an ISO on the phone and then boot the laptop from it?
>>
>>58525756
pretty sure you can download an OS onto a SD card or USB and boot from that
>>
>>58526060
Dont have an SD card slot in phone nor an adaptor (don't think you can boot from SD anyway) and if I could put it on a USB I would have but as I said just the phone, cord, and dead laptop
>>
>>58525756
Pretty sure it's possible, but since android 3ish plus requires a rooted phone to put it into the regular storage mode, except a few models which got supported from their manufacturer, Sony iirc, ever since the update your phone week be in mtp mode by default which probably won't work, either way not worth the effort, if your phone supports otg usb, buy a usb and adapter, or usb with an adapter built in, download iso on phone extract to usb, install ... Profit. Btw I haven't looked into this for a few years, but that's the extent of my memory about it
>>
File: IMG_20170117_195011.jpg (43KB, 810x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_195011.jpg
43KB, 810x720px
>>58526390
So none of these would work then? Alright thanks for the help
>>
File: pic_meme_install-gentoo.jpg (31KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
pic_meme_install-gentoo.jpg
31KB, 600x452px
>>58526426
If you had root you could patch the kernel to enable USB stick emulation. A friend of mine showed me an android port of Kali Linux which had such a feature. Feels like the only good part of the ROM thou. You can probably install the kernel patch and the USB emulation apk without installing the ROM, although sadly this requires root which does not seem like an option for you. You could try "kingoroot" or some shit like that to root the phone without a computer but I've never tried that.

I am assuming that you fucked up your distro and you don't want to loose your phone too, so I'd stay away from "kingoroot" until you get your computer back online so you can recover it if something goes wrong.

If your computer however is still sane and you just want to install a new distro then I'd definitely root the phone or install the distro from your existing distro (See "Installing Gentoo from Arch").
>>
>>58526534
Yeah I was installing it from my current distro but got impatient and fucked it up by attempting to save time. Oh well, haven't lost any data or anything, so I guess I'll just wait. Thanks
>>
File: 1471111385635.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1471111385635.png
98KB, 612x491px
>>58525756
try set your phone to
>Use as USB flash stick
If you can do that on your android system it should be possible for the BIOS to see the phone as a flash drive and boot the iso from it,
i guess.
Problem is mounting the iso on something.
>>
fucking go buy a usb stick and go to your library and download any light weight os. core os(i think that's what it's called) is only a couple mb and is functional, from there go to your home install and either keep the os if you like for some God forsaken reason or download a new one.
>>
File: 1482723227088.jpg (65KB, 361x440px) Image search: [Google]
1482723227088.jpg
65KB, 361x440px
>>58525756
yeah... everyone here is a moron
android is very much capable of doing exactly what you want, you just need the right app for it, an app which will put your phone in mass storage and make the laptop see a bootable image and you don't need root for that

that app is called DriveDroid

and the iso of your choice is downloaded via any android torrent app or through the app itself if you want any of the featured ones

you're welcome
>>
>>58528028
>everyone here is a moron
DriveDroid requires root
>>
>>58528230
So the "* Fixed crashes for unrooted devices" description in their recent update is a lie?
It's literally the only fucking thing in their update section on google play.
>>
Drivedroid app
>>
>>58528622
I think that setting the app up without root crashed it before
>>
File: Screenshot_20170117-145828.png (330KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170117-145828.png
330KB, 1080x1920px
>>58528622
what part of
>requires root
is not clear?
>>
>>58528694
The changlog when you click read more
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.