[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me ONE good reason why I shouldn't just always use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160912_232718.jpg (7KB, 163x170px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160912_232718.jpg
7KB, 163x170px
Give me ONE good reason why I shouldn't just always use the root account

>protip: you can't
>>
>>58508086
There's lots of things that can execute commands under your account without your knowledge or consent. For example it's trivial to write a C program that, when executed on any modern Windows system, deletes everything on your C drive. But the program executes commands with the same privilege level as the user who runs the program - meaning, if you're not logged in as an administrator, a lot of files will be off-limits.
>>
>>58508086
Security via permissions and access controls. It requires finding a local privilege escalation exploit to do anything useful, and therefore adds security by depth.
>>
File: R3GKl.png (26KB, 316x342px) Image search: [Google]
R3GKl.png
26KB, 316x342px
>>58508121
If someone is inside your system as your regular user you're already fucked.
>>
>>58508157
only applies on a system that is not configured using the principle of least privileges.

All those things should be segmented. "Facebook" should not have an access path to "Bank".
>>
>>58508185
granted almost all windows systems aren't using least privileges, but a centos server running financial software should definitely be so.
>>
Thanks for the info friends
>>
You will get fucked up by ransomware because of the reasons >>58508107 described. Encrypting everything in a users home folder/networked drives is trivial while encrypting filesystem root and other users folders requires a privilege escalation exploit.

Also, if you're not running as root/admin, malware can only persist in your user account unless it has privilege escalation exploit. Privelege escalation is beyond the skill set of your average skiddie, so unless you want to be pwned by 1337 pre-pubescents you should not run as root/admin.
>>
Because GNU/Linux has shit security and has to rely on having the user type a password to do anything every 5 minutes.

Note that it encourages shit passwords as well, because typing a SECURE password is a pain in the ass, so most people just settle for weak passwords that are easier to type.
>>
>>58508086
It helps prevent you from accidentally fucking up your system.

I've had cases where I typed something like "rm *" and then realized I was in /etc instead of the directory I thought I was in.

>protip: you can't
It's called the "principle of least privilege". It's a fundamental principle of security. You should be glad that the sysadmins on the servers where you do your banking/shopping/etc. adhere to that principle.

Even if you're blissfully ignorant of that principle, you should be thankful that those sysadmins use that principle to protect your identity and your money.
>>
File: 1478648437799.png (132KB, 615x850px) Image search: [Google]
1478648437799.png
132KB, 615x850px
>>58508086
this desu >>58508107
>>
>>58508344
Are you fucking retarded?

The only files worth encrypting (photographs, videos, work-related and personal stuff) ARE in the home folder.
>>
>>58508565

Hey, at least the OS is protected. I mean after having all your personal files encrypted, who wants to spend 20 minutes reinstalling?
>>
>>58508157
Not on my system.
>>
>>58508157
>fb
>gmail
>bank, paypal
this is simply solved by logging out of those services after use, and not having your browser remember the password. Yeah, it's that simple.
Just keep a couple of "important" passwords in your memory - the rest you can confide to your browser.
>>
>>58508086
Running everything under root is retarted
Running all your programs under your user is retarded

Every program should run under it's own user
Personal files should be owned by your user
Root and sudo should be used for system configuration
Under your user should run only a user-sudo that will temporarily allow different program under different users to communicate

This is the only solution
>>
>>58508649
What about other users files? Did you think of that, retard?
>>
>>58512698
Meant for:
>>58508565
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.