[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, my parents decided to take in their friends pc and dump it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1481583086250.gif (983KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1481583086250.gif
983KB, 500x364px
So, my parents decided to take in their friends pc and dump it on me to fix the damn thing.

From what I was told they went on a shit website and the computer restarted and now whenever it boots into the desktop, only the cursor is visible.

Though my assumption is, from seeing this happen before, they upgraded the machine from windows 8 to windows 10 and some files might of corrupted.

The issue is, they want to keep their files.. I've tried

Bootrec options in the recovery CMD
recovery itself from last working date (Says it's missing files whenever it tries to)
start up repair fails
Win + P + down and enter fails
The system reset (Keeping personal files) fails

My only choices at the moment seem to be is to open notepad through the cmd, go through file, open and then find all the files I want and using the explorer window transfer it all to the usb drive before re-installing the windows fully

Any, less painful way in doing this ? Like paragon rescue kit ? As it's only for up to windows 8.1

From what I've seen through the explorer window their C: drive is still titled as windows 8, the files for upgrade are in there to.

The recovery image to fully restore the system is in a separate partition

Thank you for your time and your help.
>>
>>58506352
Nope. Boot into linux and grab as much info as you can. Tell them you have all their files backed up but you will need to reinstall the OS which would wipe their files from the computer but not the backup you made, and you can give them the backup separately for them to put the files back in themselves.
>>
>>58506377
Also ask for any out of the way locations for files to save, like outside the My Documents folder and user folder.
>>
>>58506352

If either his PC or yours is a desktop, why not just boot into your windows drive to salvage the shit from his? Opening a panel and plugging in a SATA data and power cables isn't much of a hassle.
>>
I bet he was on /g/ and someone told him to delete explorer.exe
Install windows
>>
>>58506377
>>58506395
Fuuuuuck
I was afraid that was the case..
Thank you for the time and your advice have a good night.
>>
>>58506436
>move files away
>reinstall Windows
>move files back
>UUUUUUGGGGHHH FUUUUUCCCKKK THIS IS SO DIFFICULT ARRRRRGGGH
>>
File: 1484529144571-1973004131.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1484529144571-1973004131.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>58506464
It's not hard I'm just lazy
>>
>>58506352
>not plugging in their drive into your computer and extract all the files through some linux distro
cmon OP how dumb are you
>>
>>58506506
Though I just realized
> Install windows 10 in a partitioned file separated from previous installation
>Grab shit from the partition with the corrupt installation
> Delete that partition
>Merge the remainder....

Oh god I'm retarded... Have a good day /g/entlemen
>>
0) Back up data.
1) Insert Antergos disk.
2) dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
3) Install Antergos.
>>
>>58507623
Install a bullet in your brain.
>>
File: computer.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>58506464
This wtf kek
>>
File: konata transparent.png (80KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
konata transparent.png
80KB, 400x250px
install gentoo lol
-----
>"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." - Linus Torvalds
>Check out my webcomic at http://lightbringer.comicgenesis.com/
>>
>>58506352
>ctrl + shift + escape
>processes tab
>end task on explorer.exe(if its listed)
>if not then start a new process called explorer.exe

wew so hard. using a computer is like rocket science
WEW
>>
>>58506352
Try and determine what Windows version it is, make installation media, and use the reset options from your stick instead of from their install.
>>
>demand $50 for the first hour plus $20 for every additional hour
>nobody bothers you anymore
>if anyone does, easy money
>>
>>58506352
Charge 'em 50$ anon >=|
>>
The PC ate a bad website
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.