[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've decided I'm gonna take up programming as a side

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1466759307530.jpg (56KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1466759307530.jpg
56KB, 640x640px
I've decided I'm gonna take up programming as a side hobby so I can learn ROS, mainly working on Ubuntu

Does anyone have any tips for a newb to increasing the efficiency of my learning/developing? I'm trying to make my way around the system and having to use the bash shell to run/open everything is hell
>>
help
>>
Books and google you lazy faggot
>>
>>58503786
Ubuntu has a file explorer, you can use it.
Altough many on /g/ will say use terminal only it's fine if your starting out.
Just get a good IDE, books/courses/lecture slides.
Try to apply what you learn, as soon as you learn it.
ROS used to be a bitch to get into because there's little explanation of everything, and they assume you're already pretty much a programmer in the docs/official tutorial.
Also turtlebot
>>
>>58504321
haha thats what i am doing, trying to learn how to program a turtlebot on my own. What level of C++/Python do you think that requires? I can do basic if and for loops but i don't know what a class is yet
>>
>>58504383
Get the basics on the programming language you are learning. For both python and C++ there are really great online courses. You could start with codeacademy (only python, many say its bad) to get the first hang of it and then choose a course/mooc/whatever.
You could go all hardmode and get Soustroup's C++ book or Think Python.
If you like maths "Introduction to Computer Programming Using Python" is a nice python starter, I really liked that book.

I'm not sure wether or not its a good idea to start out using ROS before you learn the basics of programming, mostly because those basics are thaught in many places in a much easier way. I kinda had to do that too (learn C++ and ROS at the same time for robotics 101) but had 3 lectures a week, tutorial sessions and group projects which made it bearable.
Maybe something like this:
https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~dodds/ROSatSIGCSE2013/
>>
>>58503786
My main suggestion is pick a language and stick with it for several months. There are some merits to knowing more than one language, but being shit at multiple is far worse than mastering one.

Something like Python is useful when starting out as it does pretty much everything your heart desires.

Mike mcgraths books are also good. They're not very technical but they give you a foundation to work with before you move on.
Don't buy any of them though, theyre all hosted as pdfs somewhere on the net.
>>
>>58504496
sorry forget that link I thought there were actual course resources on that page
>>
>>58504496
What level of c++ knowledge is really necessary for performing basic vision developing in ROS?
>>
>>58504513
At least the basics of programming logic, workflow, OOP (ie the 101 book).
If you need to implement your own vision stuff and need heavy algorithms some stuff on efficiency and algorithm implementation.

Otherwise if you just want to use tools OpenCV 101
>>
>>58504565
What kind of problems did you have learning C++ and ROS at the same time? I'll be doing them at the same time
>>
>>58504613
You can just fuck around with turtlebot and make it do autonomous navigation or stuff like it.
Then use ROS to communicate to two turtlebots at the same time over its network stack
Then .... think of something you'd like to do, as in why you're learning ROS, and start with the basic steps (eg make a small rover move like turtlebot) when you got that get a camera and make the bot see things, learn to process them etc
>>
>>58504655
I built a TurtleBot that I now want to have do shit
>>
You could start with making a fizzbuzz using two ROS nodes, load the 3 and 5 from a launch file.
Then make simple vision algorithms like filtering and stuff with opencv.

starting out with opencv, c++11 and ROS is easier than just c++11.
You have more guides on how to do stuff as you can see specifics (both ROS and opencv has good tutorials with very verbose explanations of their code, so learning how to use their code while learning how to program is not a big deal).
The biggest problem I can see is opencv uses a lot of bad practices and you might learn a lot of C behavior from that.
Don't use public variables and raw pointers unless you have to, and opencv forces you to more than most libraries.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.