[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obama Opens NSA’s Vast Trove of Warrantless Data to Entire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/13/obama-opens-nsas-vast-trove-of-warrantless-data-to-entire-intelligence-community-just-in-time-for-trump/

>WITH ONLY DAYS until Donald Trump takes office, the Obama administration on Thursday announced new rules that will let the NSA share vast amounts of private data gathered without warrant, court orders or congressional authorization with 16 other agencies, including the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and the Department of Homeland Security.

>The new rules allow employees doing intelligence work for those agencies to sift through raw data collected under a broad, Reagan-era executive order that gives the NSA virtually unlimited authority to intercept communications abroad. Previously, NSA analysts would filter out information they deemed irrelevant and mask the names of innocent Americans before passing it along.

>Executive Order 12333, often referred to as “twelve triple-three,” has attracted less debate than congressional wiretapping laws, but serves as authorization for the NSA’s most massive surveillance programs — far more than the NSA’s other programs combined. Under 12333, the NSA taps phone and internet backbones throughout the world, records the phone calls of entire countries, vacuums up traffic from Google and Yahoo’s data centers overseas, and more.

Land of the free*
>>
Haha, what?
I was expecting to see a theonion.com address there.

But really, this is just a legalisation of what they were already doing. I mean really, you think it's a coincidence that they're IMMEDIATELY ready to start doing this before even knowing if it'll pass?
Or is it more likely that they've been doing it for years anyway
>>
File: 1484413967662.png (1MB, 1599x910px)
1484413967662.png
1MB, 1599x910px
USA is the darkest timeline
>>
I expect lots of leaks.
>>
Can't wait until a despot like Trump gets his hands on petabytes of data on citizens to do whatever he wants with it.
>The city of USA
>>
>>58496890
Anyways, this was already a thing, see: DEA's parallel construction of case against Ross Ulbricht
>>
>>58497038
This is what bewilders me the most- instead of say, ramping down presidential and government power because trump is about to get in power, they're continuing to ramp it up.
It's almost as if they know that trump won't be in power for very long.
>>
T H A N K S O B A M A
>>
at least he isn't trump
>>
File: IbPD6g.png (437KB, 975x600px) Image search: [Google]
IbPD6g.png
437KB, 975x600px
Weren't they already doing this?

What's the point of Obama rushing it out as if Trump is going to take it down?
>>
File: 68040.gif (139KB, 630x375px) Image search: [Google]
68040.gif
139KB, 630x375px
>>58497550
>Trump is gonna take it down
this bait is too succulent
>>
>>58497550
Trump is pro nsa.
>>
>>58497673
>>58497726
So if Trump would have done it anyway why did Obama rush it out the door
>>
>A man with the Noble Peace Prize wipes his ass with the Constitution and turns the U.S into West Germany.
WTF?
>>
>>58497763
Obama and Trump aren't that different when it comes to mass surveillance. I wouldn't be surprised if trump actually attempted to make encryption illegal.
>>
File: 1480029333183.png (5KB, 435x269px) Image search: [Google]
1480029333183.png
5KB, 435x269px
NUFIN TO HIDE NUFIN TO FEAR AMIRITE?

You will all regret it you cumguzzling faggots and I certainly can't fucking WAIT to see you moan to heavens about this.
>>
>>58496890
>In 2014, The Intercept revealed that the NSA uses 12333 as a legal basis for an internal NSA search engine that spans more than 850 billion phone and internet records and contains the unfiltered private information of millions of Americans.
A daily reminder these are supposed to be the "good guys".

And they won't stop one single terror attack based on this data. The actual success is almost certainly going to derive from targeting a small number of individuals in certain circles and/or being tipped off by foreign security services.

>With access to the NSA’s intercepts, law enforcement could search Americans’ private information for evidence of criminality without going to a judge — a loophole privacy activists have called the “backdoor search loophole.”
Yay.

And while searching "for evidence of criminality" they might not find anything but they will surely come across a lot of stuff that can be used in many ways.
>>
>>58497870
This. You dumb fucks don't realize what this means.Nobody cares about your data, this is about control.The NSA doesn't have to provide evidence in court,it's all "Top Secret".Enjoy imprisonment without any proof of guilt.
>>
Sharing is caring
>>
>>58496890

only confirms he was a republican all along
>>
>>58497967
There are no political parties.Washington is a social club and party affiliation only determines which side of the room you sit in.
>>
File: 1480250204852.jpg (46KB, 517x488px)
1480250204852.jpg
46KB, 517x488px
>>58497038
>>58497087
Obama's going full retard because his political party is about to lose power, and Trump is going to run things differently.

Also,
>Trump
>A democratically elected soon-to-be leader limited by congress and the constitution who won in spite of voter fraud by his opponent, who is bought and paid for by wealthy bankers/politicians and already has enough dirt on her to bury the country
>autocratic despot
Where do you get your news?
A lot of the wikileaks emails revealed direct collusion between CNN and the Clintons
>>
Why Obama just don't order NSA to kill Trump ?
>>
>>58497857
>I wouldn't be surprised if trump actually attempted to make encryption illegal.
How would this be possible?
>>
>>58497087
Trump's taking office in a couple of days and this increased surveillance will be blamed on him.
>>
>>58498072
>limited by congress

This sounds VERY familiar.
>>
>>58499071
There was a bill proposed that would make all civilian non-financial related data illegal.
But really, all you would have to do is tack on a random cryptocurrency with every communication.
>>
>>58499030
fuck off leftist communist scum
>>
>>58497916
>And they won't stop one single terror attack
Exactly
Well, almost
Between 9/11 and now, mass surveillance has stopped a grand total of *1* taxi driver sending money to a terror group

And that's all they've done, apart from take away human rights and completely ignore the constitution.

>>58497870
Moron
>>
>>58499618
If they're going to ban encryption they have not reason not to ban cryptocurrency as well.
>>
> Entire Intelligence Community

That title is so fucking inaccurate. Those other GOV offices are not the "entire intelligence community"
>>
>>58499639
I doubt Trump will survive until 2020.
He got a bunch of enemies already.
>>
>>58499030
NSA doesn't do assassinations, that's CIA job. They've done it before.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(2).jpg (12KB, 300x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(2).jpg
12KB, 300x221px
>>58496890
Just fuck my 4th amendment up, senpai
>>
Well look at the bright side. The more people that this data is now being shared with, the greater the chance one will be the next Ed Snowden.
>>
>>58496890
1+2+3=6/3+3=6 -> 66
Order 66 has been called, kill the Jedi. Trumps empire shall rise.
>>
>>58497817
*east germany
>>
>>58497857
>>58499071

The US already has some iffy laws regarding it. It's legal to download OpenBSD off of a foreign server (effectively importing it) but you technically can't put up a mirror of your own and allow anyone outside of the US to download it. In order to export it, or any encryption software, you are legally obligated to hand over the decryption key to the FBI. That's why the OpenBSD project is based out of Canada.
>>
Time to go innawoods.
>>
>>58501701
I'd stay away from obsd. Ted Unangst in the house. Openly fucked over for the man. He makes my blood boil.
>>
>>58499071
>How would this be possible?

By having enough big companies lobby for it.

You just wait until they expand copyright age to 95 years once Disney is about to lose the copyright for Mickey Mouse.
>>
>>58496890
Annnnnd, one of the first few executive orders from Trump will nullify this one. Obama's trying to burn it at the end but he's out of time.
>>
>if the democrats cant win im taking the country down with me!11
what a fucking loser lmao
>>
>>58503099
Literally this. Fucking retard doesn't realise that History will talk shit of him.
>>
>>58503073
Executive orders don't nullify each other, are you some Neanderthal?
>>
>>58503099
>Trump doesn't want encryption
>Obama makes it easier to spy on people
Hmm really makes you think
>>
There is no debate since the average normie doesn't see why you "NEED" encryption or privacy. They've been too conditioned by social media like fagbook, and the data-driven convenience of the modern internet and service industry.

I work in a hospital and some don't even understand why you need to encrypt shit like medical data or why it's a bad thing to leave documents with patient info (including SSN) lying around face up.

We've lost the culture war.
>>
It'd be funny if people blame Trump for this. I don't like the guy but really if we look at US presidents they're mainly shit.
>>58499071
Being possible to enforce and being legislated is different.

But it's vital to understand that with law in a police state its not really important how many law offenders you catch. It's all about how you can enforce to your preference. Let's say encryption is illegal without a licence. And let's say the idea of encryption in law was something stupid like that any non-human readable data is encrypted. Then anyone is guilty. And when the state wants you executed they point to your json configuration file for whatever which one member of the jury didn't understand. It's just about them being able to make the right rhetoric.
If they catch you for encrypting something and then make a claim of something morally dubious coincidentally with that people won't really be bothered by it.

Anyone remember the neo-nazi who extracted unencrypted information from some Yahoo service? Ruled illegal despite it was him literally just changing an ID number in the URL. This is gonna be commonplace.
>>
>>58504019
>Anyone remember the neo-nazi who extracted unencrypted information from some Yahoo service? Ruled illegal despite it was him literally just changing an ID number in the URL. This is gonna be commonplace.

I'm not sure what you're saying. What did he do? Did they put him in jail?
>>
>>58497817
>nobel peace prize
>actually meaning anything
ahhaa, your spelling of it shows exactly how much you know
>>
>>58503286
>I work in a hospital and some don't even understand why you need to encrypt shit like medical data or why it's a bad thing to leave documents with patient info (including SSN) lying around face up.

This makes me want to curl into fetal position in a corner and stay there until I die.
>>
>>58504508
The worst part is that when you have to explain to someone why it's bad and what people can do with your medical data they think you're either a paranoid schizo or a fraudster.
>>
>>58504549
serious

what CAN people do with your medical data
>>
>>58504297
That was weev. You can google him to get more info about it. Yes he did go to jail.
>>
>>58503286
this. /thread go to bed
>>
>>58505551
The medical data itself allows them to fuck with your insurance which isn't as glamorous but is pretty devastating, especially since medical costs are expensive in the US, not to mention you probably want to make sure you or whoever you care about in the hospital actually gets the care they need on time.

The other shit on a medical record like SSN, address, relatives, and their contact info shouldn't need an explanation for what bad shit can be done with it.
>>
>>58503286
>There is no debate since the average normie doesn't see why you "NEED" encryption or privacy. They've been too conditioned by social media like fagbook, and the data-driven convenience of the modern internet and service industry.
Be careful with your projections, some day they might become real.
>>
>>58505841
It's not a projection. It's already real.

Look at the resounding "meh" that came out of the NSA spying shit. Outside of communities like /g/ and a few "token crazies" they put on the news nobody cared.
>>
>>58504325
I think he was pointing out the irony of Obama's legacy. The mispelling of Nobel is probably a testament to it's real value to the world today. Got his Germanies crossed too.
>>
>>58505887
I disagree, but also wish people would be more aware and the discussions were not always "hide what?".

Bigger issues arise from giving all the data (that is being generated in everyday life nowadays) to one company alone. When you spread your info, the pieces have to be puzzled together. If people upload everything to Google Picasa and Google Drive, use Google Maps, Google Mail, Google Notes, Googles Contacts and Sync, Google play store on their Google Androids, then it's literally just that Google fuckery the pigs have to get. One action that gives them access to everything. Their family pics, the locations they've been at, the location they are at, their sleep cycles, their relatives, all of their phones contacts, their email with all the shit they ordered online etc.

This has more effect on everyday-developments in technology than most people are aware of.
>>
>>58498072
Nope, it's this >>58497038 that they want.

As soon as I read this I remembered the scene from house of cards where frank underwood talks about carefully aiming the sword so the other guy can plunge on it. This is exactly what they are doing. They are giving Trump as much power as he can so he can fuck up and they can destroy him with that.
>>
>>58505977
>I disagree
What did you observe that makes you disagree?

In my hometown the ACLU and EFF are considered fringe organizations and fagbook is ordained by god and can do no wrong. Knowing about privacy practices is double plus ungood and means you're a terrorist criminal working with shina.
>>
>>58500084
>Trumps gets assassinated by whiny SJW liberal
>based Pence takes office
>country finally cracks down on extremest leftists

I think this is the best timeline.
>>
>>58506030
This. When I went to college, having something to hide was the most heinous crime you could be accused of that wasn't SJW related.
>>
>>58506030
Maybe you're right and the situation is bad. Maybe not. I try to stay optimistic.

High school/college kids are dumb as fuck anyway, no surprise to me that they are spouting nonsense over there at yours.
>>
>>58506107
>optimistic
That time is long passed. And it's not just college kids suddenly learning not to be dumbfucks. Why the fuck would you need to explain to people in a fucking hospital who handle and work with healthcare data regularly about why that shit shouldn't be public? It should be common sense.
>>
>>58506062
I doubt it, SJWs don't have the balls.
They rather stay in their bubble until the end.
>>
>>58506143
We lost the culture war. All the can be done at this point is to save yourself.
>>
>>58506143
It should be common sense like holding a phone horizontal when filming, it should be common knowledge how a computer works, or an engine. Or an electric motor. It should. It isn't.

Some people can't even swim. Put them into water and they just float on top of the surface with their face down and then they drown and stop moving.
In a way, they are too stupid to swim.
Lots of people are tremendously stupid.
You gotta ignore these people.
Just swim past them,
>>
>Obama was behind it the whole time
I guess there really is no hope for that "pls pardon snowden" campaign after all
>>
>>58506204
It's not just one or two. It's the majority of them. That's why we're fucked.
>>
>>58506204
>you gotta ignore these people
not possible in a democracy
>>
>>58506256
>>58506229
>>>/s4s/5063994
>>
>>58506062
Pence would kill privacy to protect muh children.
>>
>>58506305
reminder that people unironically put that fucking thing on their voting ballet
how many months ago was america laughing at britain for brexit
>>
>>58506353
Nice. See anon? Some people are smart, some people try to voice their opinions and they get heard. Even by you.
>>
>Obama continues his legacy of eroding individual liberties, increasing government spying, and expanding the ever growing federal government
>lefty faggots immediately try to shift the blame to Trump.

America needs a civil war. You faggots need to get killed.
>>
>>58496890
The NSA wouldn't like this though since they are enemies with the FBI etc. All this does is create an internal shitstorm
>>
>>58506447
Gee, it's almost like there is no real difference between the left and the right.
>>
youtube.com/watch?v=WAQlsS9diBs
>>
>>58506024
Not everyday i see people talking about me
>>
>>58501902
it's already at 95 years, and the end of that is coming up soon
I hope beyond all hope that someone in the government calls them on their shit this time
no one who deserves money for Mickey Mouse or anything from that time period is alive any more, it should belong to the public now
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.