[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does no one ever hack a DNS server? It seems a lot of pe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: dns_server_icon.jpg (51KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
dns_server_icon.jpg
51KB, 256x256px
Why does no one ever hack a DNS server? It seems a lot of people would be interested in hacking one so they could point google.com to their own malicious domain. Sure, it might be fixed within minutes but given the popularity of google.com you could still infect millions of computers.
>>
>>58492279
Most hackers are kind of good at PCs but still too pleb to do anything too serious or cause massive damage, maybe they could send a fork bomb to people though.
>>
>>58492279
>Why does no one ever hack a DNS server?
How would they?
>>
>>58492793

DDOS the DNS. Makes sense to me.
>>
>>58492279
>Why doesn't everyone do it?

Because it's really, really, really fucking hard, if not impossible. The DNS root servers are what make the World Wide Web work, and they're locked up tighter than your mom's vag.
>>
>>58492793
poison the cache entries
>>
DNS software is usually simple and mature enough to be quite secure.
>>
>>58492279

didn't they ddos dns servers to take down twitter and other sites for a few hours
>>
>>58492807
What do you think the Mirai botnet did? And why do you think it was such a big deal?
>>
How has no one in this thread mentioned DNS amplification attacks?

/g/ is so clueless it hurts
>>
>>58492812
You obviously don't know OP's mom
>>
>>58492893
Because it has nothing to do with the subject of the thread probably
>>
>>58492893
DNS amplification attacks are a form of DDoS

DDoS has already been mentioned in this thread. Learn to read kid
>>
>>58492812
>locked up tighter than your mom's vag.
A Windows XP machine would fit that description
>>
>>58492807
Already happened.
>>
>>58492279
>so they could point google.com to their own malicious domain
You'd have to obtain a new valid certificate/the private keys for google.com or most of users will only see an error page in their chrome and complain about it on facebook.
>>
>>58495347
Not if your own, malicious page doesn't implement SSL
>>
>>58495347
>use your own certificate
>tech illiterate people get some warning they don't read or understand anyway
>click accept
>>
>>58492279
>DNS Server
>Domain Name Server Server
>>
>>58498252
You run the Domain Name Server on a server...
>>
>>58498252
It's Domain Name System
>>
>>58498367
Reminds me of people thinking DVD means "Digital Video Disc"
>>
>>58498367
This
>>
>>58492279
when u say it like this it looks easy, noobs might mistake u that u think about only 1 computer out there

its is a farm of servers and it can get pretty big if u look at root name servers, also there was attack in 2015 on root name servers - 5 million queries per second each, they didnt even lag
>>
>>58492279

it already happened retard
>>
>>58492279
>so they could point google.com to their own malicious domain. Sure, it might be fixed within minutes but given the popularity of google.com you could still infect millions of computers.

What is HSTS?
>>
>>58501657
I don't know. What's HSTS?
>>
>>58492279
Cuz its very hard to do that. Is more easy find a backdoor or a bug in a router or popular device (IoT) and explit that, if the device is a router you just change the dns from there. You can scalate that atack to an entire county or at least a lot of people get affected. And basically u can redirect the traffic wherever you want. Of course you need to manage all the request that your fake dns receive and serve the pages....not easy at all but not impossible
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.