[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do modern gaming consoles use 8 core cpu if most of the gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1473349146265.png (1MB, 2292x1217px) Image search: [Google]
1473349146265.png
1MB, 2292x1217px
Why do modern gaming consoles use 8 core cpu if most of the gaming workload is done by gpu?Wouldn't console perform better if you put a small,energy efficient 2-3 core cpu with beefy gpu
>inb4 go back to /v/
This is about hardwere preformnce not video games!
>>
Because shitty little Jaguar cores are all AMD had for sale at the time of the XB1/PS4's development.
>>
File: results.png (146KB, 592x926px) Image search: [Google]
results.png
146KB, 592x926px
>>58490087
Sony and Microsoft chose AMD's Jaguar core arch because their perf/watt and perf/die area are very high. Though they're a relatively low clocking low power design, they do have higher IPC than prior higher power designs. Having 8 threads available, typically 6 for a game engine to utilize, provides "good enough" levels of CPU throughput.

The PS4's APU only pulls 100w~ while the Xbone's is somewhere around 60w~. The overwhelming majority of each power budget is taken up by GPU.

Its a balance of cost, power consumption, and other metrics.
>>
>>58490087
Because, and this is important, If you bottleneck a cpu, games become fucking painful to play, if you bottleneck the gpu however, games just don't play as fast but are not painful.

according to sieges in game benchmark, i should be getting 70-120fps in that game, but because its cpu bottlenecked hard, I get stuttering and input lag so bad the game is no longer playable, it's one game with a built in benchmark but it's like this across the board.
>>
>>58490464
What CPU?
>>
>>58490087
>2017
>Gaming on consoles
Get out off my board, you filthy casual.

PC MASTER RACE!!!
>>
>>58491034
phenom II 955, siege is a weird one and of every more recent demanding game, a clear worst case scenario.

Been holding off on a new cpu because quad core to quad core doesn't open up head room, it will sure as fuck increase performance but no headroom.

been waiting on intel to either drip a 6-8 core to the i7 range or amd to drop their cpu.

I put up with a crappy gaming experience for a few years, and got a gpu that is heavily bottlenecked by my cpu because if it worked for compute assist, it would have killed what I had, but it doesn't or I can't get the fucker to work, one of the two, and was a compute downgrade from my 5770 (currently 280x)

Thankfully, the few games that push shit engine or gpu wise I like turned out to be either well optimized so they were playable, or heavy gpu bottlenecks so my cpu didn't factor in if i increased the graphics quality enough.

>>58491199
Those exclusives though...

Would be really nice if consoles moved to gaming branded computer, with a possibly gam optimized os on boot, possibly the next playstation or xbox after scorpio or pspro will do this.

You open your console up to a multi decade back catalogue on windows, you get your close to metal optimized mode for gaming, and to boot, you open yourself to one of the bigger, growing markets for gaming, that has the money to spend.

This would be a calculated risk though.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.