[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't you wish your operating system could install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 23

File: xcodeinstall.png (17KB, 590x371px) Image search: [Google]
xcodeinstall.png
17KB, 590x371px
Don't you wish your operating system could install applications this easy?
>>
It's quite nice.
>>
>>58483556
apt install application

I don't even have to use the mouse.
>>
Mine can.
>>
>>58483579
well you have to use the terminal
honestly I don't get this line of defense
>>
>>58483556
> application
gtfo stupid fag
>>
>tfw no Xcode for Windows

Fucking hate how Windows development tool Visual Express/Studio has gotten so bloated over the years. You now need 60+GB to install the software, its absurd. Not only that, you also need to download dozens of distribution files.
>>
>>58483594

But the terminal is literally easier and more accessible than dragging and dropping.
>>
>>58483594
Have you ever seen a grandpa trying the graphic interface? Terminal is easier. Mine fell for the Windows meme and broke down after two weeks when we tried to install him Cygwin, then he went back to Ubuntu.
>>
>>58483613
Uninstalling it is even worse. Last time I checked, there were dozens of packages/programs installed that you'd have to manually uninstall.
>>
>>58483594
>open up the store window or whatever
>type in the name of the application
>drag into folder
vs
>open terminal
>type in package manager command + application
>>
>>58483626
yeah totally
you can drop it in the wrong place by accident and delete your ram

>>58483643
have you ever seen a grandpa trying the terminal?
remembering the commands?
knowing how to actually launch the terminal?
are you fucking serious?
>>
>>58483594
I don't get why people have this paralyzing fear of using their keyboard for anything.

Why would the xcode installer make you drag and drop anyway? Why couldn't it just have buttons? "Install Xcode? [_] install [_] cancel" Then you could either click or use the keyboard, it's both intuitively easy and more accessible.

>>58483613
>MS in charge of ever refactoring or streamlining anything
They don't give a shit about quality, only what they can sell. there's a reason that one anon's story about how much of a clusterfuck the Windows codebase is rings so true
>>
step one: pacman -S xorg-server
done
>>
>>58483686

You've obviously never used the terminal in your entire life, kid. Get educated before you try to talk down to grandpa.
>>
>>58483685
my point still stands
you can't expect a normie to learn commands

>>58483691
I'm not really advocating for one or other side
I'm just here to point out that it's stupid
and yeah, a simple dialog would've been easier
but then it is apple

and no, I'm not an macos fag
I just stick to windows, so
>>
>>58483721
just remove yourself before you say more stupid shit, please
I've used multiple linux distributions, even fucking arch, I'm in the process of getting a rpi3 so I can use it as a remote server thing that I could host my php shit on

I can use the terminal just fine, you fucking autist
>>
>>58483556
Don't you wish your operating system could install 99% of applications at all?
>>
>>58483750

But you need to drag and drop to install things instead of simply using the terminal? lmao

autist
>>
>>58483750
>>58483686
… so to answer to your question, yes, I've seen a grandpa using the terminal. Mine.

He basically knows how to update his packages list, upgrade it, and how to install a package. Obviously he won't do a lot more because he's not fluent in English, so I explain him from time to time how to copy music from his Downloads repository to his MPD repository or how to create and edit a text file with vim. He uses these just fine.

He knows the commands "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get upgrade", "sudo apt-get install" "sudo apt-get remove", "ls", "cp -R /Downloads/David\ Bowie", how to use autocompletion, and how to navigate in a text file with basic vim shortcuts, in which he stores text backups. I taught him how to use a computer when he was like 60 because he needed it to find a new job from home.

>just remove yourself before you say more stupid shit, please
>I've used multiple linux distributions, even fucking arch, I'm in the process of getting a rpi3 so I can use it as a remote server thing that I could host my php shit on

>I can use the terminal just fine, you fucking autist

Are you, dare I say it, /our goy/?
>>
>>58483556
Do you know the Arch installing process consists of installing a large packages group in one single shot?

# pacman -S base
>>
>>58483594
I was a normie once and I still learned commands
>>
>>58483765
S A V A G E
>>
The command line is obsolete. A GUI with keyboard shortcuts completely replaces it. The extra speed is not worth the poor usability.

I'm saying this as a former Arch user of 5 years.
>>
>>58483594
>Terminal
It's a shell you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>58483556
>Implying that my OS doesnt do that
>Implying macOS has a easy install method
>>
>>58483556
I recall installing Semaphor by drag-and-dropping it in the Ubuntu Software Center.

You can do this in one command line with dpkg (sudo dpkg -i /path/to/package), which is a dumb idea since it would rely on the package's own code to eventually upgrade itself. I only used it to install NetworkManager on a friend's laptop from a USB stick.
>>
>>58484447
That's true for tasks that are a.) simple, and b.) being done directly by a user.

"delete these three files" is more efficiently done with a GUI. "Every Friday, delete files with extension .xyz and a creation date more than X days in the past" is best done with the command line.

There's a reason MS built Powershell. One of the reasons Linux is so strong in the server-and-networking space is because a command-line interface lends itself to automation of complex tasks. If you've ever had to log into 20 separate management GUIs for 20 separate routers and make the exact same change to each of them by pointing and clicking, you'll understand this.
>>
>>58483691
>I don't get why people have this paralyzing fear of using their keyboard for anything.

Have you seen normie internet posts! They can't even spell three letter words correctly and the terminal required correct spelling.
>>
>>58483765
>Don't you wish your operating system could install 99% of malware at all?

ftfy
>>
>>58483579
>you don't have permission to do this
>>
Wait, does Apple still offer Xcode as a DMG from its website?

I haven't had to do that in years. You can just install it from the App Store.
>>
>>58484613
Look up Apple Script. It automates GUI functions. Autohotkey might be the Windows equivalent.
>>
>>58484686
...this can't be happening! I'm in charge here!
>>
File: automator-icon.png (231KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
automator-icon.png
231KB, 512x512px
>>58484613
>What is Automator?
>>
> Open Gnome Software
> One click to install the software.

> dnf install <whatever>

Only downloads from the trusted repos and keeps your software up-to-date.

Homebrew (+Cask) on Mac is the only reasonably easy way to keep your software up-to-date on Mac with a package manager. Though it is a lot buggier and less secure than apt/dnf/whatever because a lot of packages don't keep release numbers, just "latest".

On Windows there's Chocolatey but it's even worse than Homebrew.

No package manager means people have to go to some phishy third party ad and fake download button infested abomination. Also either you will have horribly outdated insecure software a while or each program has it's own automatic updater which are usually shit and require manual intervention.
>>
>>58483685
>knowing the name of the package beforehand

>drag into folder
vs
>open up google, type name of application
>click on first link, look up package name
>open terminal
>"do you want to use up this much disk space? y/n"
>y

hmmmm
>>
>>58484748
>Homebrew (+Cask) on Mac is the only reasonably easy way to keep your software up-to-date on Mac with a package manager. Though it is a lot buggier and less secure than apt/dnf/whatever because a lot of packages don't keep release numbers, just "latest".
This means there are no hashes/signatures.
>>
>>58484797
> packagemanager search videoplayer
> packagemanager install myshittyvideoplayer
It's not hard anon.
>>
>>58484822
okay, now let's see here

>drag into folder
vs
>open terminal
>packagemanager search videoplayer
>are you sure? y/n

oh would you look at that
>>
>>58484843
You don't even have to drag anything from the App Store. Just find what you want and click the Install button.
>>
File: macos.jpg (85KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
macos.jpg
85KB, 750x600px
>>58483556
I hate this method of installing. It seems mentally retarded. Its like

HERE YOU DOUBLE CLICKED ON THE FILE TO INSTALL BUT NOW YOU HAVE TO PHYSICALL DRAG THE ICON OVER TO INSTALL

WE KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO INSTALL, BUT YOU HAVE TO DRAG THIS THING TO INSTALL ANYWAY. LIKE YES, DRAG IT LIKE A TODDLER TO INSTALL IT.

its like an extra fucking step, just mocking you for buying a fucking Mac. Cant just click next, or install. No, you HAVE TO FUCKING DRAG THE GODDAMN ICON OVER TO INSTALL IT. Its like a warning on the toilet that says DONT DRINK THE WATER

NO FUCKING SHIT!

Why are you making me do that much fucking work to install something. Like who thought ti was a good idea to DRAG something to install it? The same fucking retards who still think its a GOOD IDEA TO DRAG AN EXTERNAL DEVICE TO THE FUCKING TRASH CAN TO SAFELY REMOVE IT!

Fuck Apple.
Pic related.
>>
>>58484880
Yep, i was going to wait for him to respond and try to get it down to fewer steps (by saying you can just pass in -y or something to automatically affirm the installation) before saying that, just to show him that the it'll still be fewer steps the Apple™ way. ahh well
>>
>>58483579
>takes less than 1 second to drag and drop
>"typing a lot in 2 seconds is better"
>>
>>58484843
Most users don't even drag the application to the Applications folder. They just execute it from whatever DMG or leave it in their Downloads. This means that whatever shit they download from the internet (unknowingly) will get executed at some point.

>>58484880
> The Mac App Store requires an account to download apps.
> To publish an app to the store you need to pay 100 bucks a year. The Mac App Store lacks pretty much any FOSS due to this.
> The Mac App Store is weeks or months behind on updates, even for security updates.
>>
>>58484907
Let me make it simple for you

- open .dmg compressed archive
- move (drag/drop) .app to Applications

- download from App Store
- automatically installs to Applications

Get it now?
>>
>>58484907
Or you can open it and the app will ask you if you want it to move to your Application folder in a dialogue.
>>
>>58484945
>This means that whatever shit they download from the internet (unknowingly) will get executed at some point
That doesn't logically follow from your previous statement.
>>
>>58484907
There are a couple reasons
1. maybe you don;t keep your apps in /Applications, you might keep them in ~/Applications or somewhere else entirely
2. maybe you only want to try the shit in the archive without installing it at all

In other words, choice. Want to know how I can tell you're a winfag? Because the idea of choice is so foreign to you.
>>
>>58483691
Because it's not an installer. Xcode comes as a DMG disk image, which mounta itself on double click. You can run it from the disk image itself and unmount it when you don't need it anymore, or you can copy it to your /Applications folder.

The drag & drop shit is just a hint displayed in Finder for dumb users.
>>
>>58484957
>>58484961
>>58485015
None of this explains why you have to fucking drag a goddamn icon over. It seems more work.

A simple right click and install to submenu would be nice. Oh wait, Macs still cant right click, can they?

Dragging something like that feels very dumb. especially when you're using a touchpad. its cumbersome.
>>
File: 1417583136058.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1417583136058.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>58485061
see
>>58485051

When you open a zip file, what do you do? Do you install the items in the zip file or do you extract them?
>>
>>58485061
I just said that it asks to move itself for you. No dragging, you fat fuck. I know its difficult to move your fat arm 2 inches over to the right.
>>
>>58484713
Do you feel in charge?
>>
>>58485103
>2 inches

Oh yes. I forgot the 200dpi mouse that macs use.
>>
>>58483579
There are package managers for macOS
brew install package
>>
File: Screenshot_20170114-110931.png (320KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170114-110931.png
320KB, 1920x1080px
Mine can.
>>
>>58485120
>he admits that moving his arm less than 2 inches is so annoying that he types out four paragraphs in anger and tries to defend his shitty standpoint.
>>
File: larger.jpg (23KB, 592x424px) Image search: [Google]
larger.jpg
23KB, 592x424px
>>58485156
Its annoying when you have to use an impute device made for mentally retarded people.
>>
>>58485171
>still is trying to back it up with a 10 year old mouse
holy shit this is hilarious.
>>
File: magic_mouse_2_charging.jpg (26KB, 938x525px) Image search: [Google]
magic_mouse_2_charging.jpg
26KB, 938x525px
>>58485195
You're right.
>>
>>58484721
>What is Automator?

I'll tell you: a bug-ridden, outdated piece of shit. The concept of "normie programming" with arrows and boxes have been tried countless times and always failed miserably.
>>
File: 1002.jpg (356KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1002.jpg
356KB, 960x1280px
>>58485228
THIS CANNOT BE REAL!
>>
>>58485249
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA02LL/A/magic-mouse-2?fnode=56
>>
>>58485171
the apple mouse with a clitoris
>>
File: 138404-usbmouse_original.jpg (11KB, 386x236px) Image search: [Google]
138404-usbmouse_original.jpg
11KB, 386x236px
>>58485171
>>
>>58483556
Yeah after accepting 5 times that Yes, I do want to install an application from the evil Internet, this os has the audacity to condescendingly ask me to pull an icon on top of another one as if I was a stupid child that doesn't know what it's doing. The OS is making fun of you and you don't even realize
>>
>>58483613
Xcode is cancer though. The amount of clean and restart I have to do with xcode is ridiculous. Didn't people say it "just works"?
>>
>>58485369

>It's guiding me/helping me understand and I know how to do this already, the evil overlords must be making fun of me

Talk about insecure
>>
>>58484924
Going to the browser, finding an application is what takes a long time
>>
File: 1411338082757.png (64KB, 395x578px) Image search: [Google]
1411338082757.png
64KB, 395x578px
>>58485392
>mfw I've never had problems in Xcode and I've been using it since Xcode 4
>>
>>58485447
You will probably don't have many clients with their own certificates then.
>>
>>58483579
All it does is sync with whatever the app version is in the repository, not install the newest one. Not even comparable.
>>
>>58483556
Now show what you have to do if you want to launch an "unsigned" application the first time.
>>
>>58485638
Right-click > Open
>>
>>58484686
O fuck

sudo !! 
>>
File: 1417584958206.jpg (15KB, 164x198px) Image search: [Google]
1417584958206.jpg
15KB, 164x198px
>>58485593
I also know how to use Xcode. That helps too.
>>
>>58485405
When I first encountered the drag thing, I didn't know what to do (before reading the line at the bottom) because I couldn't imagine (and still can't) why this step is put in there.
Something unrelated: why does the "restart now" notification that comes up after an OS patch explode when you click it? Does that add to the ux? I bet almost nobody even noticed that. It's just a stupid redundant feature, just like most of Apple's buggy and backwards interaction concepts are
>>
>>58485638
right-click
open

alternatively, pic related
>>
>>58483556
It's a very elegant method of installing a application. The OS is so designed that it is completely unable to install this app without your permission, so that YOU must drag the app from here to there.

I use Windows as my daily and Linux for other things, I rarely use OSX, so the first time I did this I couldn't believe it was designed like that.

After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that having an app install itself is incredibly dangerous, in windows for example, files and folders are scattered across the OS with a kind of reckless abandon. Try and manually uninstall a program in Windows, it's a fucking nightmare, between program files and program files x86 and app data and roaming and multiple user profiles and all this shit, what a mess.
>>
>>58483579

Unless you count Tuxracer, Linux doesn't have anything worth apt-getting.
>>
>>58485692
Animation gives UI objects a sense of place and direction rather than just being stuff that haphazardly pops in and out of view without explanation.

Notifications fade in from the right edge of the screen because that's where the Notification Center is. When you dismiss the notification, it goes up into smoke, meaning that it's now gone.

Yes, it does matter to the UX.
>>
>>58485715
>implying OS X apps don't litter your system

Check ~/Library/ApplicationSupport
>>
>>58485779
>I rarely use OSX
No thanks.
>>
>>58483556
I got a mac and I find this way of "installing" applications highly annoying
>>
>>58485697
The "anywhere" option is hidden by default in Sierra. You need to disable Gatekeeper from the Terminal to bring it back, which is not advisable for most users.
>>
>>58485820

Yeah that's why homebrew casks exist, even though you're just running spooky scripts nobody's read to drag and drop shit for you.
>>
>>58485779
>User-specific settings and data are stored in the user's home folder.

Gee, it's like that's exactly the way it should work.
>>
>>58485779
Huh, I didn't know about that. Still, if that's the only place...

I find the way that an application is actually a self-contained folder a novel approach. There's no need to "install" as such, they can just run from anywhere.
>>
>>58485779
but yes, I understand that that folder is an equivalent of the app data folder, I remember having to put up with it when installing a btc client on OSX.
>>
>>58485833
>You need to disable Gatekeeper from the Terminal to bring it back
You mean to disable gatekeeper, one must first disable gatekeeper? Whoa
>>
>>58483613
Xcode is worse, though.
Especially for C++.
...Actually, all IDEs but JetBrains' are horrible for it.
>>
>>58483613

It's only like 12GB lol.
>>
File: mas.png (207KB, 1150x512px) Image search: [Google]
mas.png
207KB, 1150x512px
>>58483579
Neither do I. :^)
>>
>>58483556
But it can
>>
>>58484457
It's a terminal emulator which gives you access to the shell, GAWW
>>
>>58485925
Man, some people like to install all of the add-ons, just in case, you know.
>>
>>58485763
Its fucking childish is what that is. Like the "drag this here and there" thing. It's as unprofessional as a propeller hat
>>
>>58484613
I would argue that creating an Automator workflow that's triggered by a calendar event would be easier an can be completed without writing a line of code. Can Windows/Linux do this? User automation on macOS makes other platforms look weak.
>>
File: windows-8-40-700x393.png (252KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
windows-8-40-700x393.png
252KB, 700x393px
>>58486078
>Its fucking childish is what that is.
>>
File: Baby-with-iPad.jpg (476KB, 2060x1498px) Image search: [Google]
Baby-with-iPad.jpg
476KB, 2060x1498px
>>58483594
This, one requires something so simple a 5 year old with an iPad could do it

The other requires knowledge only an autist savant would willingly want to learn, but of course /g/ will defend this
>>
File: 14441331819031042650954.0.jpg (53KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
14441331819031042650954.0.jpg
53KB, 800x600px
>>58486078
>Its fucking childish is what that is.

lol s0 randum xD shibe meme roflmao
>>
>>58485593
>Not having a solid understanding of code signing
>>
>>58485855
My point being is that it remains there after deleting the app from /Applications.
>>
>>58486105
Yeah you can
>configure
Windows to look childish.
It doesn't force it upon you
(BTW the lack of colours in OSX removes one essential way for humans to recognize stuff. The "everything is gray" approach is something Apple fags used to Bitch about in Windows in the 90s)
>>
>>58486078
>Its fucking childish is what that is
>>
>>58486168
Xcode doesn't accept my provisioning profiles without a restart. What now?
>>
>>58486137
look at this baby, not even a minute into using an ipad and it already looks like louis CK. look what you did.
>>
>>58486174
App Cleaner, it's free and gets 99% of stuff automatically.
>>
>>58486179
GUI animation done tastefully is practical and useful, not childish. The interface is fundamentally visual, so it helps to convey the motion of objects as they are being interacted with. All modern mainstream GUIs have become more animated over time as processing power (and later GPU acceleration) has allowed for it.
>>
>>58485408
>what is spotlight
>>
>>58486179
>It doesn't force it upon you
That's the default. It's also the intended usage of windows.

You can also just do everything in powershell or from desktop shortcuts. Much like you can do everything from tty in OSX.

Either OS is as silly or as consumerist or as complicated as you want them to be.
>>
>>58486262
A fucking explosion is not tasteful, minimalistic or whatever people tend to call Apple these days.
>>
>>58486203
/g/ isn't for tech support requests.
>>
>>58486283
>A fucking explosion is not tasteful

Hyperbolic much? It just goes up in a light puff of smoke.
>>
>>58486261
No thanks. I've had enough of these """""system optimizing utilities""""" when I was a wincuck.
>>
>>58486289
I don't want help. I found a solution that works (and from what I have read online it's basically the only one). But it's not as simple, easy or elegant as people keep telling me Apple products are
>>
>>58486307
Its something a 9 year old would put on their website
>>
>>58486283
What explosion?
>>
>>58486382
He's referring to alert notifications that stay on-screen until the user dismisses them. When they get dismissed, they vaporize into a puff of smoke.

Of course, you can change it so that the particular app shows banner notifications instead, which automatically fade back into the Notification Center after a few seconds. Alerts are not "forced upon you," as >>58486179 implied.
>>
>>58486452
But that animation doesn't come when I dismiss an update, only when I click restart now. I've never seen this animation for other notifications
>>
>>58486452
He's actually complaining because notifications poof away? Top kek
>>
>>58486513
Apple haters will find any dumb nitpick to justify why they hate Apple.
>>
>>58485115
~$ groups | tr ' ' '\n' | grep wheel
wheel
>>
>>58486534
Apple lovers will find any dumb gimmick to justify why they love Apple.
>>
>>58486650
>Usability and good design are gimmicks

Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>58486679
>Shitty floating wm with "muh minimalism" design is a gimmick

Yeah sounds right to me
>>
File: shot2.png (31KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
shot2.png
31KB, 1024x768px
>>58486691
If anything, it's the barebones tiling WMs for Linux autists that are minimalist.
>>
>>58486534
It was just one example of the contrast of what people claim OSX is and what it really is.
I could also mention inconsistent ui (the drag to Install sometimes goes from top to bottom or left to right)
Invisible resize handles,
Menus that are way too verbose and change when pressing a button,
The inconsistency of maximizing windows, the buggy login screen, that some days doesn't accept my or my colleagues passwords (not gonna work then... Great) or doesn't show some users at all, the stupid global menu bar (yes Fitts law works for it, but consider that you have to go back to the app-window with your mouse and suddenly it has no benefits at all), the sheer amount of key combinations you have to remember for doing the simplest tasks, the finder that can add servers (actually a great feature) and then doesn't let you change files there, finder in general is a hopeless pos and the sluggish performance even with an ssd.
There's a million more wtf moments I encountered that I didn't remember, but the many many little things make me believe OSX is further from "easy to use", "simple" or "just works" than any other OS in my existence.
>>
>>58483579
pacman -S application/package
>>
>>58485620
False, you're installing from Mac's repository, and you're not getting the newest one, you're getting the newest one that they decided is ready for the public.

With most Linux distros you can select what repositories you want and install the latest versions, even unstable testing versions.
>>
>>58483686
My grandpa worked at Bell Labs with Dennis Ritchie.
He understands the terminal perfectly but can't wrap his head around drag and drop.
>>
>>58486788
That's implying you're restricted to the App Store
protip: you're not
>>
>>58486801
Similar. My dad isn't fond of graphical interfaces to this day because he was an old mainframe hand. He takes to command-line interfaces and keyboard shortcuts fine.
>>
>>58486750
>could also mention inconsistent ui (the drag to Install sometimes goes from top to bottom or left to right)
While there is an apple-described convention, devs can still do whatever they want

>Invisible resize handles,
Like in what app? Haven't seen this one

>The inconsistency of maximizing windows
It's not maximize, it's "fit to content".

>stupid global menu bar
it's actually based, and suppots keyboard shortcuts 100%, lol. you don't have to use the mouse at all

>sluggish performance even with an ssd
you're holding it wrong, tard
>>
>>58485247
This.
>Normies never use it anyway
>Annoying if you already know how to program because it lacks most expected language constructs
>>
>>58486926
>Like in what app? Haven't seen this one
Xcode, organizer, try to resize the device console (found other places, can't remember where)
>It's not maximize, it's "fit to content".
What of I want to maximize?
>it's actually based
It's really unintuitive to detach important functionality from its context.
>you don't have to use the mouse at all
You know what else requires no mouse at all? The terminal. Wouldn't call that great intuitive ui design either.
>>
>>58487047
>Xcode, organizer, try to resize the device console (found other places, can't remember where)
I just did, they work as you'd expect.

>What of I want to maximize?
There is no maximize in macOS, deal with it. There is full-screen and fit-to-content.

>It's really unintuitive to detach important functionality from its context.
It's incredibly intuitive. What's unintuitive about it?

>You know what else requires no mouse at all? The terminal.
You were complaining about using the mouse for the menu-bar, you tard. All im saying is that it's a choice, you can use either the mouse or the keyboard (or trackpad or some other shit) to use the global menu
>>
>>58483556
I do kinda wish Windows could run any program without installing it like osx can.
>>
>>58483556
no lol

That actually looks more inconvenient, to either have to locate your Applications folder or to be forced to keep that folder on your desktop
>>
>>58485249

What's the problem?
>>
>>58486750
>inconsistent ui (the drag to Install sometimes goes from top to bottom or left to right)

That's entirely up to the developer. DMG files are just disk images. In addition to the .app bundle, the dev can choose to include extras like an alias for /Applications and a background image to illustrate the drag-and-drop action.

The concept of dragging an app into a standard folder is no more confusing than double-clicking setup.exe, accepting a EULA, confirming the installation path, looking out for adware / bloatware that is included by default, and finally searching your Desktop and Start menu for any new shortcuts that were created.

Ideally, Apple would prefer it if everyone would just move their apps to the App Store. It's way more convenient and secure than distributing them via the web.

>Invisible resize handles

I've never seen these.

>Menus that are way too verbose

Explain.

>and change when pressing a button

Most users never use modifier keys for shortcuts. They will never see that.

>The inconsistency of maximizing windows

The default behavior is to go full-screen in a separate Space, while holding the Option key expands the window to the edges of the current Space. That's it.

>the buggy login screen

Newsflash: Software has bugs. Film at 11.

>yes Fitts law works for it, but consider that you have to go back to the app-window with your mouse and suddenly it has no benefits at all

For the average user it's better than having multiple identical menu bars scattered around the screen.

>the sheer amount of key combinations you have to remember for doing the simplest tasks

Everything can be done with a mouse cursor if you so wish. The only exception I can think of is the keyboard shortcut for toggling hidden files in the Finder (Cmd + Shift + .), which as of yet is not available graphically.

>the finder that can add servers (actually a great feature) and then doesn't let you change files there

Uh, that sounds like a permission issue, pal.
>>
>>58487094
>I just did, they work as you'd expect.
On my mac at work, the handle is invisible

>It's incredibly intuitive. What's unintuitive about it?
That after a year of using it I still find myself not expecting it there sometimes

>All im saying is that it's a choice
A choice you have on every other major OS too without the divide of UI
>>
>>58486727
and when a tiling wm is mentioned you guys go straight from talking about usability to 'you guys are more minimal'
at least my tiling wm is usable
>>
>>58487310
>On my mac at work, the handle is invisible
You fucked something up, its visible on mine (and probably everyone else's) computer.

>That after a year of using it I still find myself not expecting it there sometimes
Ever think that that might be a personal problem?

>A choice you have on every other major OS too without the divide of UI
It's guaranteed to be there, which makes it infinitely more consistent than on other, less consistent platforms.
>>
>>58486788
You're retarded. When downloading an app you get the latest version. When you use a packet manager you get whatever version is in the repository, which could be years old.
>>
>>58483750
I'm not any of the guys you're arguing with, but installing something through terminal, especially a mainstream thing like Xcode, would objectively be faster through terminal.

>super+t to open terminal
>sudo apt-get install xcode
>hit Y, press enter

versus

>open browser
>go to xcode download page
>hit download
>open downloaded file
>drag and drop application file into applications folder
>>
>>58483765
what ever will we do without our epic video games? there's no other purpose in life
>>
>>58487387
>knowing the package name is xcode and not

xcode-lib-fagxxY
xkode-shitnux
xcode-d
xcode-e.d

nice try
>>
>what is appimage
>>
>>58487387
open App Store
click install button next to Xcode
>>
>>58487427
xcode would be the package that you'd want in the average case.
Also, anon used too many steps.

It's really just
> open terminal
> sudo apt install xcode -y
And if you're in the wheel group, that's enough.
>>
>>58487427
In my experience, most of the applications that are as widely used as Xcode are just named "firefox", "mpv" etc.

>>58487449
But OP didn't do that. If he did, he wouldn't have to drag and drop the application as shown in his pic.
>>
>>58487474
you have everal options with macOS

command line install
simple GUI install
package installs which require permissions

goddamn i love macOS

and any case, if you think the CLI install would be faster or you'd rather use it, then use it. that's the beauty of the world's most advanced desktop operating system, developed by Apple™ in Cuppertino
>>
>>58487516
You don't have to convince me to use macOS my man, I already am. I'm just trying to argue for both sides here.
>>
>>58483556

I use Mac OS, Linux and Windows. Installing Xcode/GCC on Mac OS is simple, Installing GCC in Linux is simple. GCC on Windows......total disaster.
>>
>>58487564
This. Mac OS and Linux is literally the only reasonable choice.
>>
File: what a twist.jpg (8KB, 201x250px) Image search: [Google]
what a twist.jpg
8KB, 201x250px
>>58485015
>Macfag saying that having choice is a Macfag quality
>>
File: 1376264149719.gif (609KB, 600x539px) Image search: [Google]
1376264149719.gif
609KB, 600x539px
>>58487575
>macOS and Linux

nice try, GNLoo
>>
>>58487640
Go back to feeding and curing your future Microsoft employees, Bill.
>>
File: bullshit.jpg (211KB, 2000x500px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.jpg
211KB, 2000x500px
bullshit.
>>
>>58487787
saved, thank you
no image has ever expressed my issues with linux like this one does
>>
>>58487575

Same poster here. GCC is a simple to use on Linux. You write your code on the Text Editor of your choice, save it as a c, cpp or h file. Then go into terminal type the command for GCC to compile and if your code is good, your code is executable. If it's not......GCC tells where the errors are in your code.

It's that simple.

Fuck MS.

I haven't used Xcode but I do have it insatalled on the iBook G4 I bought recently(I bought the iBook G4 to run OS X Tiger so I can run Mac OS 9.2.2 for Mac retrogaming).
>>
>>58486308
It's not an optimising utility, it just looks for the bundle ID in a few key places around the system and offers to remove them as well as the application bundle.
>>
>>58485697
>apps
>>
>>58488651
Deal with it, sounds better than "Programs"
>>
Mine can even more easily. I don't even need a web browser.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.