[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's just take a second to appreciate the fact that technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Did we do it.jpg (4KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Did we do it.jpg
4KB, 275x183px
Let's just take a second to appreciate the fact that technology has gone so far. 10 years ago We couldn't even begin to think about terabyte drives at the pricing we have nowadays. Now we can buy a 1Tb drive at only £60. With 1gb being 50~p. We have increased our computing power at least 100 fold. That is a monumental achievement. Imagine what we could do given another 10 years.
>>
File: rs6k32h.cpucard.jpg (180KB, 1068x613px) Image search: [Google]
rs6k32h.cpucard.jpg
180KB, 1068x613px
recent tangible advancement isn't really all that impressive since software hasn't really kept up, a low-end core 2 shitbox in 2017 stands far more of a chance than a flagship dual-slot pentium II system ever had in 2007

pricing is definitely another story though, it's amazing what you can get for so little now, things were a bit more exciting in the past but I wouldn't give up the modern era for anything almost on the basis of that alone
>>
>>58478860
well, some software does take years to fully develop. We're living (in terms of software) a few years ago because of this.
>>
>>58478557
>£60
You're getting ripped off. I bought a 1TB drive for 61 aud.
>>
>>58478908
it's not really that, the demands of software just aren't keeping up with what's available to them, resources for all intents and purposes are pretty much a non-issue anymore on the desktop outside of demanding 3D applications and niche cases since we're still using the same old algorithms to solve the same old problems, you just don't see an actual boost anymore in everything you do like you used to just going up a single CPU speed grade
>>
>>58478947
You only ever need one main drive, and then a couple backup archive drives. You should probably shill out more for a faster drive.
also, I feel sorry for your data caps, Australian.
>>
>>58478557
10 years ago a 1TB drive was only $400.
10 years before that you were looking at 2-4GB hard drives.
>>
>>58478997
http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-home/home-networking/ces-2007-world-s-first-1tb-hard-drive-148723 It was a huge achievement.
>>
>>58479038
>>58478997

I still remember being excited about 100GB drives in the news...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2582064/data-center/maxtor-rolls-out-80gb-and-100gb-hard-drives.html
>>
>>58478557
>increase computing power 100x
>pajeet increases js libraries 1,000x
>>
>>58479038
>tfw I'm still running Ultrastar versions of these drives in my main

>>58479166
go grab an old shitbox sometime and try even browsing the pure HTML web with it, even with a bunch of hipster.js bullshit the modern web is way more responsive than it ever used to be
>>
>>58478974
But I don't have a data cap?

Are eurocucks really so delusional?
>>
>>58479198
>modern web is way more responsive
the what
>>
>>58479198
except a shitload of websites don't even fucking load the HTML at all if JS is disabled
>>
>>58479470
hence why I said the "pure HTML web" as in shit that's actually HTML, not just turning JS off and slogging through whatever god awful salad of shit you're going to get, things nowadays even with a bunch of JS still load and work a lot faster than they used to

I don't even get what the fuck shitty sites people are even browsing while I can routinely handle 50+ tabs on fucking core 2 gear without breaking a sweat
>>
>>58479618
>
I don't even get what the fuck shitty sites people are even browsing while I can routinely handle 50+ tabs on fucking core 2 gear without breaking a sweat
4chan
>>
File: 1483100300104.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483100300104.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>58479635
I've shitposted on here from 20 year old machines with 128 MB of RAM running multi-tab sessions
>>
>>58479198
>the modern web is way more responsive than it ever used to be

Bullshit. About 8 years ago was "peak web" in terms of speed/performance. Things are going backwards now. Shit I'm seeing today on a fucking i7+16gb+75mbps that I haven't seen since 2000:

* Slow page loads.
* Page elements jump around 1-2 seconds after initial page appearance. (Faggots using js to layout their page.)
* Popups...popups every where.
* Pages that scroll slowly.
* Run away CPU temps.

There is no excuse for any of this shit. This is the result of pajeet, mommy coders, and god damn UI designers who can't fizzbuzz but can link 50 js libraries to animate a fucking menu.
>>
Speed and processing have gone far.
But computers themselves have barely changed since the 90's. If anything, development has stagnated.
And don't go arguing about "mobiles, tablets, touch screens" because that's peripheral and if anything, it's all black boxed consumer technology.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.