[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Told myself I'd learn a programming language or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: 144094323363.png (29KB, 398x394px) Image search: [Google]
144094323363.png
29KB, 398x394px
>Told myself I'd learn a programming language or at least python or ruby or something easy in 2015
>Told myself I'd get on web development and finally start doing something productive in 2016
>Now 2017, still haven't done any of it don't even know where to start. Downloaded a bunch of programming books but just don't know

How do I doit guys.

How do I finally learn some webdev framework and start making something? I want to get a job instead of living with my parents working part-time fastfood forever. I don't even necessarily REQUIRE a job, I just want to do something productive.
>>
go to a formal institute. you need someone to sit on your ass and force you to study.
otherwise you'll stay neet forever.
>>
Maybe doing this sort of thing isn't what you're into. Try doing something that is interesting to you.
>>
Get some 3-fpm or caffeine pills at very least and stop being such a weak faggot.

People fought in Stalingrad not that long ago and you can't even read a fucking book. Go watch how people likely younger than you were fighting to the absolute last tooth in chaos unthinkable.

If you don't have the genuine interest you will never make it successfully anyways, trust me on that. Take your time seriously, it's limited in every sense and you'll realize it more and more every year.
>>
File: 42_fremont.png (34KB, 573x402px) Image search: [Google]
42_fremont.png
34KB, 573x402px
>>58449958
>>
File: 1484103981276.gif (673KB, 400x168px) Image search: [Google]
1484103981276.gif
673KB, 400x168px
>told myself o wanted to be a dupla l33t hacxka
>Enter computer science College
>Get bored off dat shit
>Enter Law College

Fuck This nerd shit
>>
File: 1453261446276.jpg (35KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453261446276.jpg
35KB, 200x200px
>>58450118
>Law College

Just don't whine on reddit in 4 years about being poor but so hardworking.
Law school is such an unbelievable shit show unless you have serious connections. Enrollment was dropping fast last time I checked.
>>
How does one get into webdev? Do I just begin with html + css + javascript? I don't really know how the internet or any of these work by the way, I'm not from a CS background but I'm not entirely new to programming either.
>>
>>58450140
Well from where i come from lawyers are god-like beings.

They Just loose to doctors and judges.

I know in America you guys overestimate Scientists and shit.
>>
>>58450148
Step 1. Go on reddit and regurgitate buzzwords
Step 2. Embrace the NYT and how brave everyone is standing up to Trump
Step 3. Snicker at actual devs to give false sense of superiority
Step 4. Become a tranny and apply to top companies while being adamant about how your creativity and uniqueness can add to the culture.
Step 5. Pajeet automates your job in the next year

Why ever go to webdev from CS. It would be like a dentist who only brushes peoples teeth.
>>
>>58450178
>overestimate Scientists and shit.

kek

The only place that underestimates scientists/mathematicians are non first world countries.
>>
>>58450178
What country or at least region?

In the US, law school is an absolute flip of the coin, about 50%ish of the graduates don't end up working in law. I wouldn't go if I were paid.

>I know in America you guys overestimate Scientists and shit.
Huh? In America lawyers are insanely successful and rich and seen as upper class. They run the country more than any other occupation, it's just that the barrier to entry is too high now so the millennials are absolutely fucked.
>>
>>58450148
Learn those 3 in order and also learn bootstrap. It makes everything much easier.
>>
>>58450197
Webdev is pretty extensive

Yeah there's some le trannies and le sjws but so do most things. Kind of fucking retarded to judge a sub-field because there's some people you don't agree with.
>>
>>58450213
>You're now aware that you're having a conversation with Pajeet
>>
>>58450260
Sure it can be, but come on webdev is webdev.
maybe worth fucking around in for fun, but if you have proper CS skills you're wasting your time and opportunity cost.
>>
>>58450270
How are you wasting your time OR opportunity cost?

What else are you going to be working on? Fizzbuzz in haskell?
>>
Your're helpless, kys
>>
File: makes me think.jpg (17KB, 460x423px) Image search: [Google]
makes me think.jpg
17KB, 460x423px
>came to /g/ in 2010 to learn programming
>learned absolutely nothing
>instead, became very paranoid
>started running Debian GAHNOO/Linux
>even used Tor for ALL browsing during a period
>lose my virginity late 2011
>stop coming to /g/
>now I'm working on my bachelor's in mathematics
>I've picked up both C and python along the way

T-thanks, /g/, at least I became proficient at using the terminal on Debia.
>>
>>58450286
Because commercial development is limited to webdev and fizzbuzz memes, huh
Do you think every company is like facebook or twitter?

Have you worked in a decent company before? won't even bother, do with your time as you please. not my concern. less competition for me, not to mention webdev design and engineering is boring to me personally.

HTML and CSS aren't even programming, so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it goes a tad beyond that.
>>
Holy shit, I'm almost exactly like you OP.

I always feel like I'm one tutorial away from actually being able to do anything
>>
>>58450213
I know. I Live in a sub developed shithole in south America.

If you got a CS belhelors here, you Will be forever viewed as the """"computer Guy""" here.

I think its a cultural thing.

>>58450219
South America
>>
>decided to finally become a Linux wizard after using Linux casually for some time now
>literally reading The Linux Bible right now

You start by actually reading the books.
>>
>>58450326
Isn't that literally what you did with webdevelopment, but to a much greater degree? - By insinuating every web developer is a SJW and/or transexual, and also hates Trump?

Web development pays well and there's a lot more to it than you seem to believe.
>>
>>58450148
You don't need to know how the internet works yet. You're asking how to learn a pretty basic task, it's like you're saying "I want to learn how to paint my bedroom walls, but I don't know how houses are built"

I'll be the one person who gives you a genuine answer. Don't go to school for CS if you're looking to get into webdev, only do CS if you want to pursue a PhD and teach CS.

Find a basic gamified "learn to code" site. Codecademy is popular. Start there with HTML and CSS. You won't become a professional, but you'll move forward. From there you can start taking on actual languages and begin to have an understanding front-end development. If you want to make a career out of it, you'll want to learn to be a full-stack developer, meaning you can manage the back-end.
You won't learn all of that by using Codecademy, but it will at least turn the key in the ignition for you. From there, start reading books. "Learn Python the Hard Way" is a great book that drills the fundamentals into you. When you're comfortable with Python, start trying to contribute to projects on GitHub, small or large projects, it doesn't matter, you just want to get any amount of code committed into a working project with a team.
Keep learning new things about Python, and in the meantime start studying other languages. I haven't bothered, but I've heard Ruby is absurdly easy, and great for mock-ups of programs.

During this entire process, you should be familiarizing yourself with BASH.

Once you've made it here, you can figure out the rest by yourself, depending on where you want to use your skills.

If none of that catches your interest, try setting up a VPS on DigitalOcean and try building something simple. Setup your own VPN on a Debian VPS, or just load up a server with Drupal or Wordpress pre-installed and play around.

If none of that catches your attention, maybe look into a different field.

Not wearing my glasses and tired as fuck so this is probably full of typos. Screw it
>>
>>58449958
>How do I doit guys.
Give up. It's obviously not what you want.
>>
>>58450356
Jokes have reasons behind them. SJWs are sadly not the ones joking in this context though.

Webdev pays well if you really know your shit which should be acknowledged as the average web dev will struggle with engineering compared to even C++ and Java developers because you can't BS and survive unless you pajeet your way out.

The more distant]you are from real STEM, the worse the prospects in programming generally because the supply is lacking. Cobol and other legacy demand is an example of that. CS is becoming so over-flooded and many flock to webdev because that's all they are capable of. Simple supply and demand.

People like different things, I have no problems with that. But if you're good at CS and software dev, you will lose opportunity cost in webdev almost guaranteed. Look how big machine learning is becoming, I personally think that's a much better investment of time assuming the individual is capable.

To each his own. I have no qualms.
>>
>>58450407
>Jokes have reasons behind them. SJWs are sadly not the ones joking in this context though.

Web-development admittedly does have a lower barrier of entry, and it's a very broad and popular field. So that is where some SJWs have gone, yes. But it really isn't that big of a deal.

>CS is becoming so over-flooded and many flock to webdev because that's all they are capable of. Simple supply and demand.

There's a shit-ton of demand though, even with all the supply. The outlook for web development is not really dying down, and growth is immense.

I've given it a shot at learning systems programming but it really seems there's two options with let's say C++. 1) You learn the absolute fuck out of it and you're a 10+ year experienced developer or 2) You're unemployed

Seems very little in-between, and I just didn't enjoy it very much.
>>
>>58449958
You learn by doing.
It takes 10000 hours to become good at something. So doing it all the time for four years is obviously more effective than doing it one hour every evening.
>>
>>58450424
>But it really isn't that big of a deal.
Not a big deal of course, but it's annoying when their innocence armor was built by the Norse gods.

Employers are desperate for diversity because HR is generally fucking retarded. In engineering internships, the advantage for women compared to men is literally 2-1. When merit is diminished, it can be frustrating.

Systems programming is something i've actually worked in. It definitely has an old-school vibe to it but I like the automation design involved. I personally think VR/Computer Vision/ML are all really fucking exciting and they are thirsty for real talent at the moment. Webdev just seems like preschool in comparison to the type of people you'll meet in the fields I mentioned.

>There's a shit-ton of demand though, even with all the supply.
Normally sure, but many of these people literally can't fucking program. Fizzbuzz is a meme for a reason. Any employer in software knows this very well. So many flock to copy stack overflow or just play vidya all day. Smart and well spoken young talent is in crazy demand, in NYC it's fucking booming.

Just know your shit, enjoy what you do, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>58449958
I disagree that you should give up. You might not like doing it, or you might be like me too. I love programming, nothing makes me happier than the eureka moments I get. But I needed to see instant results, probably because of my sever attention deficit. My advice? Download Unity or Unreal and learn to use an engine, and do code tutorials that give you Day 1 playable "games", code knowledge and something to show a friend or your mom or something.

After you have some experience in that, take a step down and start learning your language without the help of the engine. You might feel really dependent on your engine at first but you'll figure it out fast. Also, don't fret with what language you start with. That was a huge set back for me when I started, constantly Googling which one to start. Just fucking pick one, draw from a hat if you need to. I started with C++, and had a fair amount of experience with it before switching to C# for college. All programming experience is ultimately helpful. Once you learn the logic, learning new languages becomes a lot easier., it's mostly just different syntax. Don't pick one because you think it will be easy. If you're going to go with Unity, definitely choose C#.
>>
>>58450464
No it takes 10000 hours to become a grandmaster, not merely good at something.
Please stop repeating this nonesense.
This rule comes mostly from chess and classical music, where after 10000 hours you can compete with the worlds best. You can become good or even very good much, much sooner.

>>58449958
Just do it.
But do as a child does:
A child does not care that his drawing looks like shit or that its cakes are actually just wet sand, it just does and has fun. And by that it learns.

Take a book, start reading.
Read a little, code a little.
It does not matter if what you do are the most trivial things, just do them.
Over time you will be able to do more complex things based on those simple ones.
>>
>>58450287
EDGEY
>>
>>58449958

Have a plan.

1. Have an idea that you really want to build, something that motivates you to keep on building and stick with it, don't start more projects at the same time, we all did it and we all have 100s of unfinished projects, it sucks.
2. Make a list of features and user stories.
3. categorize them and make a plan where you start and stick to it.

You will encounter many issues, but this is how you learn.
>>
>go to college
>graduate
>move to west coast
>plan to get a job before end of the year
>don't
>don't even send out resume
>don't practice coding
>don't do anything productive
>try to start up again
>can't focus for more than 2 minutes before opening chrome
>>
>>58449958
I'm inching along in basic C shit, reading a few different books at once, switching to a new one to start with more basics when I get in over my head
my goal is to fucking write my own program that will let me control my media player from another window, with keyboard shortcuts, because global hotkeys aren't fucking working
>>
>>58449958
Just take a class at your local CC, no shame in needing guidance or external motivation to learn.
>>
>>58450518
10000 hours means 4 years full time job. (60h week, 42 weeks a year).
It is a good measure as it takes time to learn.
You can learn the syntax of js, css, and xml in a day, but you need to actually do projects with it before you can be good at it.
Maybe it is more realistic to say 6 months is the time it takes to learn a subject, but I wouldn't consider people good after that.
I have spent the 10000 hours on my degree, and I am about to finish my masters, but I still have a lot to learn.
But something like programming is a skill I can confidently put on my résumé.
Obviously a lot of the time, I have reinvented the wheel, but I have learned those skills.
I am not saying he should wait four years before using the skills professionally, but that he should expect that it takes that long to be good at it.
>>
>>58449983
This is the real answer OP. If you are just going into this because you're the computer all day and 'huh, i should do programming' , you might learn stuff and maybe even git gud at it, but you will never enjoy it.
If you are stuck in the minimum wage rut, do what I did and do manual labor. Two months ago i was 257lbs and making $9.6/hr. Now I'm 246lbs and making $14.50/hr with full time, benefits, and overtime.
>>
>>58450395
Seems like good idea

Where does Python and django come in tho
>>
>>58450716
What kind of labour? What do you do?
>>
>>58451097
prostitution
>>
>>58449958

The first step is then hardest. Once you made it, you will notice how much fun it is and that all your fears were ridiculous..

My personal advice:
Don't download book. Buy them. It's a small investment for your future.

Years ago I've downloaded A LOT of books but never got started. But then I invested a few bucks in a good book and got cracking. With a book you can read on the bus or in the toilet or whatever, it's just differnet from openen yet another file/tutorial/whatever.

Just focus on ONE topic at a time. One by one, don't overdo it. Grass doesn't grow faster if you pull it.

Personally I've learned Ruby and it was a great experience. My first book were "The well grounded Rubyist". After reading it, I got "Rails4 in Action". Currently Rails5 is the newest version, but you can work with this book just fine. It teaches you a lot and is made for complete newbies.
I also know some Python, and it's not a bad thing to start there. I will probably look into Django one day. But I liked Ruby more (no flamewar intended), it does so much for you.

The next step for me is getting better in JS, I plan to develop my next site with React and maybe even node. JS is fun. But for a challenging, bigger project I'd choose Rails.
>>
>>58450305
>suddenly loses virginity and everything gets better
Something's missing here.
>>
>>58449958
get someone that can you push you to do so
e.g. >>58449970
>>
>>58450590
ah, comfy intertia
>>
>>58450051
i got accepted to those faggots but they wouldn't give me free housing because i'm a fucking white male
>>
>>58450344
Preto fudido.
>>
>>58449958
Build something for another reason. You have the same problem moat people have. It's hard to do things that aren't easy and fun. So you uave to do it for a reason external to yourself. It's the same concept they use in those stupid drug recovery programs. Because your not motivated enough, you have to draw your motivation from somewhere else. For me that comes from the need for money to survive(no longer for just survival, I'm now salaried :^>) but it could be anything. Align with an ideal? Build an image board all about it and run it for a while. Or build a website around it. If your interested in webdev check out neocities. Free and fun and the community is cool. Also as far as coding is concerned I would find some functionality that I wanted amd build it into some open source project. That'd a great way to get started. Check out some of the open medical amd dental projects or just Google the friendliest open source projects to beginners. Now, don't go asking a shit load of questions there. Newbies are still annoying and it's YOUR job to learn, not their job to teach. Anyway that should get you started

TLDR
Because you can't motivate your self, find the motivation somewhere else. Check out open source projects to hone your programming skills and quickly build a resume.

Good luck fellow anon!
>>
>>58450395

Why would someone start learning a second language when he isn't even proficient in the first one yet? Why wouldn't he just "mock-up programs" with Python or his first language?
>>
>>58452087
>Because your not motivated
you're*
how are you on /g/ and don't know words?
>>
>>58449958
Hey OP let me explain something to you about programming.

Programming is about finding shit out yourself, it's a out solving problems that people may not have answers to.

It's about using the vast amount of resources online to figure your shit out.

When I started to learn programming, people coudlnt stop me from learning if they fucking tried. I would go any length, go to any ends to get more knowledge to build more things. It's all I wanted to do and everything else was boring because it wasn't programming.

When I took computer science in university it was the biggest joke of my life because I had already surpassed most of that shit in my spare time. Being a loser virgin who spends 100 hours a day either jacking it to cartoons of writing code will have that effect.

But it doesn't mean shit if you can't convince an employeer that your top dog.
>>
>>58451822
he omitted the part where he turned gay out of desperation
>>
>>58452123
to get a broader perspective and because you are never truely done with any language.
>>
>>58449958
You sound like me except i never had the desire to do any of that shit for a living. It's just a fun hobby for me. If i had to actually sit in a room full of nu-male latte sipping faggots and blue haired harpies all day i would end up going postal.
>>
>>58452423
There's a big area between LA & NYC y'know.
>>
>>58451097
Warehouse. Shipping out groceries.
>>
>>58450015
or just get an Adderall script lol
>>
>>58450260
It's needlessly extensive. It's a clusterfuck of buzzwords, frameworks and different pointless technologies.

You could have a nice website with just html and css, but no, let's use 10 backend frameworks, 10 frontend frameworks, with all their vulnerabilities, mind you. Let's also dockerize the whole thing, have continuous integration and whatnot and let's not think about security or testing. SHIP IT

Absolute meme
>>
File: anna nystrom.jpg (112KB, 561x640px) Image search: [Google]
anna nystrom.jpg
112KB, 561x640px
>>58449958
http://web.cs.iastate.edu/~smkautz/cs227s16/cs227s16_archived.html
You're welcome
>>
File: lmao.jpg (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
114KB, 1024x768px
End the cycle Anon, You're gonna keep posting this every few months contemplating suicide while you waste away on a dead end job.

Do this
>start buying programming books, don't download e-books, you'll get distracted
>if you can't focus in your room with the pc, then go to a local library or cafe
>get a cheap c2d laptop that will run basic code, don't bring your gayming lappy and distract yourself
>repeat this every day for a few months till it becomes routine

In 6 months, You'll either learn a new language(s) or you'll be the same greasy fuck as you were before

Just think of it like working out or going to the gym, it's easy to plan out or to think about it, but doing it consistently is the hard part

Remember to take breaks and don't force yourself if what you read isn't coming through

And take a break from this site
>>
>>58450305
>used Tor for ALL browsing
Holy shit, how did you endure that torture? I tried doing that and everything was so painfuly fucking slow. I just use firefox with a ton of privacy addons now.
>>
>>58455359
>I just use firefox with a ton of privacy addons now.
Do you realize that this makes you stick out like a sore thumb?

If any websites are sharing information (they are), it's piss-easy to tell exactly who you are when you go from site to site because your browser fingerprint is so unique.
>>
>>58455565
>Do you realize that this makes you stick out like a sore thumb?

I hate this meme. People always say this shit, but never give any solutions. If this is true, what should i do then? Should i just reinstall windows 10, download chrome and use google for all my searches? No that's fucking stupid.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.