/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I fall for the vps meme? I just want a vpn that lets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 1478989757355.jpg (43KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1478989757355.jpg
43KB, 633x758px
How do I fall for the vps meme?
I just want a vpn that lets me post on 4chan.
>>
>>58448373

From what I know, you need to pay for one, so you can get access to domains and such that 4chan has not blacklisted. All the public proxies and VPNs I've tried don't work because they use public proxies that 4chan has blacklisted in their database.

You can always contact your ISP and ask them to change your IP for you.
>>
>>58448486
My ISP blocks 4chan.
Besides I'm not looking to evade bans. I can do that by power cycling the modem.
I want to get a vpn that isn't blacklisted on 4chan so I can still post in case my ISP gets more aggressive with its blocking.
>>
Get a vps, ssh with the -D flag to make a local socks proxy tunneled over SSH

It's a 1 step process fucktard, we need an entry test for this board or blocking Windows user agents
>>
>>58448373
>digital ocean
>install openvpn
>??????
>profit!!!!!!!!
>>
I think 4chan pass lets you get around the VPN blacklist? In which case it'd be cheaper and far less hassle to get that and use Opera's freebie.

Aside from that, if you use a VPS for VPN then you're stuck with one IP address, the VPS company will throw you under the bus if you're caught using it for piracy, it has no real privacy advantage etc.
>>
>>58448691

>4chin pass

I wonder how easy it is for the CIA niggers to track someone with a 4chan pass, even if you pay with buttcoin and use a vpn
>>
>>58448710
I imagine it'd get you around the casual mass snooping. They'd have to want to zero in on you specifically, and I imagine they have bigger fish to fry than going after anything that's posted on 4chin.
>>
>>58448517
what country are you from ?
>>
>actually needing a vpn to torrent or do stuff
>not just for fun

>living in a shit country
>>
>>58448582
shittiest speed encountered
>>
>>58448548
this

1. get vps, install ssh
ssh user@server -D8000

3. set browser to use socks5 proxy at localhost:8000
4. ???
>>
>>58448691
>I think 4chan pass lets you get around the VPN blacklist?
That's correct.

I might even have been the one (or one of the ones) who made that happen.

>be me
>be in China
>buy 4chan pass
>use vpn because youtube etc
>post on 4chan without turning off vpn
>sometimes temp b& for vpn on some boards (but not all)
>one day...
>perma b& because vpn
>appeal b&
>denied
>appeal b&
>accepted
>never b& for vpn again

It seems that a 4chan pass allows vpns now, including private ones. I use a mix of commercial and vps vpns, works fine.
>>
>>58449060
Do I also need to install anything on the vps (other than sshd) or will it work out of the box?
>>
File: 1476858654317.png (43KB, 783x272px) Image search: [Google]
1476858654317.png
43KB, 783x272px
>>58448548
It's slow, many apps cant use socks and it can be blocked by isp or state.
>>58448373
Install shadowsocks (port 443, salsa20, one-time-auth, udp-relay)
Install openvpn (udp, tap, tls-auth, auth none, cipher none, lzo none).
you will also need libcap2-bin, fail2ban, dnsmasq, resolvconf, linux-igd
On ios/android use shadowsocks.app
On pc use openvpn over shadowsocks. You will need a openvpn client which can run custom scripts before and after connection. E.g Viscosity.
>>
>>58449602
>openvpn over shadowsocks
Why layer them?

I assume you're layering them, if you meant to prefer openvpn then that's a bad idea, openvpn is easily identified at the packet level, it's often (but not always) blocked or throttled here.
>>
>>58448373
> I just want a vpn that lets me post on 4chan.
They're all banned. Buy a 4chan pass or back off.
>>
>>58449688
VPN providers might be blocked
but the whole thread is about VPS proxy's
and you are a retard
>>
>>58449640
>Why layer them?
Shadowsocks have handshake and packet size obfuscation, fast encryption algorithms like salsa20. But it is socks proxy and it have tcp-over-tcp problem.
Openvpn is quite the opposite. It is easily detected by dpi, but it is good at networking (layer2 virtual network and udp).
So combining them together we get a layer2 vpn which uses udp and cant de detected by packet or session inspection.
It also helps a bit with multicore performance, especially on non aes-ni capable hardware.
>>
>>58449851
>VPS proxy
I'm not the retarded anon, just correcting something that you may or may not believe...

4chan, under some circumstances that I don't understand, detects a private VPS running a VPN and gives you a b&.

It might involve mod intervention, I only know that it happened to me once. I wasn't ban evading when it happened, as far as I know, the only reason for the ban was that I was using a private vpn on a server I own.
>>
>>58449114
just sshd
>>
>>58449934
>So combining them together we get a layer2 vpn which uses udp and cant de detected by packet or session inspection.
Aah, cool.
Thanks.

Are there canned solutions for setting them up?

Either client or server side.
>>
>>58449688
then what am I posting from right now? :^)
>>
>>58448582
I've done this last year and it worked fine
>>
>>58449943
>detects a private VPS running a VPN
It is posible to detect vpn by checking packet mtu, reverse DNS lookup or comparing ping time (from server to client ip and from client browser to server). But i'm pretty sure none of that is used on 4chan. They probably just manually banned ip ranges of some popular vps providers.
>>58449953
There is lots of shadowsocks and openvpn guides. Pairing them together is much less complicated then setting them up. I can upload my configs and scripts if it will help.
>>
>>58449851
> is about VPS proxy's
VPN is VPN, doensn't matter if you buy it preconfigured or set up it yourself.
>>
>>58450123
>I can upload my configs and scripts if it will help.
Sure, if it's not too much trouble then I'd appreciate it.

I'm running Mint18 on client and Ubuntu 16.04 on server. I assume that's pretty standard.

lately, GFW has been kicking my arse, saving a file takes 30 seconds, reloading a webpage to test it takes 5 minutes. Got to rethink my networking a bit before I sedoku.
>>
>>58450314 Well this config is for Osx/Viscosity and Jessie but it should not be that different.
http://rgho.st/6Xs2RKHGp
>>
>>58450660
Thanks anon, I should be able to build something with that as a base.
>>
Daily reminder that VPSs are not safe enough for VPNs

I always see faggots saying "oh don't buy a VPN service just get a cheap VPS instead" as if traffic correlation doesn't exist in this timeline.

If you want to be safe, get a VPN with the most popular provider you can find, don't use a VPN where the only person connecting to it is yourself unless you're an idiot.

If you're just looking to avoid copyright claims a VPS/dedi would probably be good enough though, just make sure you don't go with a shit provider (such as OVH) that gives up access records without a subpoena.
>>
>>58448373
Dont use

>PIA
>ExpressVPN

Both are blocked and I use ExpressVPN for my Tor Habits (DNM) PIA sucks can't resolve DNS when connected to VPN
>>
>>58449102
This. 4chan Pass bypasses the blacklist issue

>>58451562 (Me)
The only 2 I know are blocked
>>
>>58451511
>Daily reminder that VPSs are not safe enough for VPNs
If we're not hoarding CP or plotting revolution then they're pretty much good enough.

I really just want to access international websites and read gmail, nothing that would get me v&.

Anyone working for foreign intelligence needs better solutions and anyone seriously plotting to overthrow a government should stay the fuck off the internet anyway.
>>
>>58451599
>If we're not hoarding CP or plotting revolution then they're pretty much good enough.
Eh I'd say more than those, remember this is the planet where a single innocent google search can get you flagged, and where countries can legally log everything you do on the internet for years at a time.

Leaked NSA filters even showed them flagging people just for visiting Linux-related sites, so I wouldn't say having good OPSEC is just for pedos and revolutionaries.

>I really just want to access international websites and read gmail, nothing that would get me v&.
Which is another reason using a VPN provider would be best, the one I'm using has servers in like 25 different countries, beats having a single server in one country.
>>
>>58450266
the difference between a self hosted solution and a service provided by a well known provider makes a world of a difference you retard

if you are to stupid to get a VPS with an IP thats not in a blocked range its your own problem dont act like you know anything before you understand the basic

btw your a fucking mouth breathing retard for stating this in such absolute fashion like it was a fact
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.