[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to move to linux. Want something comfy like pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: s4.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
s4.png
1MB, 1366x768px
Looking to move to linux. Want something comfy like pic related but I do want performance over looks. I need to run Maya, UE4, Photoshop, and maybe some windows games on the side.

Better to VM or dual-boot Windoes, what is a good distro? Whether it's normie friendly or not shouldn't matter.
>>
>>58442459
just get a mac, it will run your proprietary software and look good
>>
Hackintosh
>>
Just keep using Windows it's not worth it, you will just waste your time
>>
>>58442521

This.

Since it's exactly the look and performance you are after.

Also Photoshop will need it. Only old as shit versions run on Linux.
>>
Why do you want to move to Linux? It's obvious that windows has software you want, but if you're just falling for the desktop ricing meme, don't bother.
>>
>>58442459
If you have to ask these questions, don't bother installing Linux on real hardware, just play with it in the VM. *buntu or Linux Mint are good beginner distros. I would advise against running UE4 (has a Linux port but requires building) or PS (late versions work like shit) on Linux. Maya requires Cent OS (or Fedora if you are on the kinky side) to run. Windows games run like shit under Wine (except a select few).
>tldr not worth it
>>
>>58442459
buy a mac
>>
>>58442459
>Lincucks
>Performance
O I b laffin
>>
Alright I'll look into OSX. I'm not really a gamer but I do need both Maya and PS. The few games I run have Mac versions I think, pretty much grown out of games.
>>
>>58442459
don't waste your time with meme distros like pic related. Use something that just werks to learn the drill (ubuntu or mint). You shouldn't worry about performance unless your a neckbeard with some IBM thinkpad, any linux distro will be lighter than windows
>>
>>58442684
Performance was the wrong word, what I meant was productivity.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170108_013802.png (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170108_013802.png
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>58442459
>>ITT: Macfaggs / Wincucks
Bunch of morons disuadding you. Dude you totally should run 'nix. I personally dualboot windows and Arch. Been doing it for years works flawlessly. Start with an easy OS like ubuntu or Mint. Use that for a few months to understand package managers and their use in a distro. With time you can move onto the more hardcore distros and be a real man.
>Building your own pc, then the os from commandline all the way to gui is something only something the real dark lords know about. Go and evolve child
>>
>>58442841
who are you quoting
>>
>>58442841
>>Building your own pc, then the os from commandline all the way to gui is something only something the real dark lords know about. Go and evolve child

You told him to install Arch, not Sourcemage.
>>
File: mac-mini-front.jpg (15KB, 550x252px) Image search: [Google]
mac-mini-front.jpg
15KB, 550x252px
>>58442521
This.
Ordered pic related today
>>
>>58442912
Arch is installed thru command line though..? Theres no gui installation there its just like gentoo.
>>
if you use real software like that better stay away from linux
>>
>>58443388
I'm implying he sounds like some DnD larper with that quote which is who Sourcemage is for.
>>
UbuntuMATE is a exactly what you are looking for
>>
>>58442459
>Something comfy like pic related
>want performance
Solus is literally what you're looking for
>>
>>58445253
He also wants a usable OS.
>>
>>58445337
Memes aside, solus is actually pretty great. It's more than usable anon.
>>
>>58443175

Stop posting this on every /g/ thread
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.