[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hypothetically, if someone wrote a program that could solve the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Z4YLVbr.jpg (11KB, 729x197px) Image search: [Google]
Z4YLVbr.jpg
11KB, 729x197px
Hypothetically, if someone wrote a program that could solve the (NP-complete) SAT problem in polynomial time (therefore proving P=NP), what would be the most ethical thing to do with the program, given the
>implications
?
>>
>he read about P=NP for the first time and now he's trying to sound smart
>>
problems don't equal no problems
>>
>>58428489
This. Sage, sorry m8.
>>
>Mo NP mo problems
>>
>>58428489

This.

People don't get that we already know that P != NP, we just can't prove it (yet).
>>
That's a good question. It would need some strong responsible disclosure, given how it breaks most forms of cryptography. The damage done will be significant in any case, and you'd need to minimize that somehow.
>>
>>58428537
If you know it, then you can prove it.
>>
>>58428755
I know you're a faggot and I don't need to prove it
>>
>>58428755
It might also just not be provable.
But we would need to prove that it isn't provable.
Still Godel's incompleteness theorem implies it is possible that it isn't provable.
>>
>>58428810
Gödels incompleteness theorem doesn't say anything about absolute provability, just that any formal system can't be both complete and consistent at the same time. Just because something isn't provable in lets say zfc set theory, doesn't mean it's not provable in any formal system.
>>
>>58428881
True, it is possible that P=NP isn't provable in any consistent system, though. Not saying that is true, but I'm just suggesting it as a possibility.
>>
OP is 19 and thinks he solved p vs np
>>
p=np
n=1
I solved it
>>
>>58428979
True.
>>
File: ostrich.jpg (293KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ostrich.jpg
293KB, 1600x1200px
>>58428136

Set up some sort of high frequency trading thing on Wall Street.
>>
>>58428979
I wonder if that could prove that that it was false if one could prove that the sum of all consistent formal systems was complete.
>>
>>58429044
give this man a cookie
>>
license it using a software patent and sell rights to everyone so you get a % of their profits. you would be killed and have your source code stolen within days, but imagine the glory you'd feel.
>>
>>58428136
Get a million dollars
>>
>>58429044
>what is p=0
>>
What about N=PN?
>>
>>58429584
p=np
p=1
n=1
p=np
wala!
>>
>>58429584
A guy with an upside down baseball cap on his head
>>
release it under GPL
>>
posting in this thread to feel smart
>>
>>58429651
Woah holy shit this guy solved Snobengibbl's Social Derived Intelligence theory
>>
>>58429628
It is obviously a dude getting sprayed in the face with a shower head
>>
>>58428136
Set N to 1.
>>
>>58428979
when I had a lot more free time I tried coming up with a meta set theory that reasoned about the set of all set theories to try and find a proof for P=NP, I was pretty stoned out of my mind at that time though, and barely made any progress before getting distracted each time I came back to it.

Anyway P=NP is a good problem to sink your mind into if you're depressed and have nothing better to do.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.